What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beef Brats, ice cream later
After a day like today I wanted old, old ice cream.
Ice cream I bought Saturday went to oldest son's house.
Where tomorrow after the first day of school, we will make ice cream sandwiches out of cookies and ice cream.
This Granny thought everybody needed a treat for surviving the first day of school.
Brats were with no bread.
Just grilled brats.

Marinated chicken breasts and pasta salad

supposed to be the last hot/humid day for at least 4 days. Gonna beautiful again starting tomorrow and I can open the doors and windows (yay!)

I would provide my menu for tonight if I had one. But I don't. Today is the first day of school for 3 of my kids, with 1 out of school, 1 who started tech school earlier in the week, and 2 who haven't started yet (good job school system!). So the two who are at home wanted to make dinner for tonight. All I know is that I saw some chicken legs thawing in the sink when I got up this morning.

Since the heat broke here ( for a time lol) I'm planning on buying potatoes and carrots so I can make a pot roast this sunday

Have no idea what we're having today. Probably tomato soup and quesadillas

This dinner was so yummy it deserves a description… I went to a little out of the way produce market today. I could see it from the door, sweet corn that was pulled late yesterday afternoon. I could tell by the shuck. It was sooo tender! I would stop here more often but for the 300yrd road full of pot holes. It’s like an obstacle course.

I don’t know how I forgot about the best steak and mushroom sub in the big town but I did. I remembered it after several years and stopped in for one at lunch today. Its big enough for two meals… It’s a pizza shop, all their subs are baked on the same bread they use for their calzones. The subs are 12” long and 6” wide at the apex. They even have a mozzarella guy who delivers fresh mozzarella every morning.

Tonight… the second half of the steak/mushroom and cheese sub and an ear of fresh sweet corn covered in melted butter and old bay seasoning. I think I’m going into a food coma!

I bought scuppernongs and muscadines at the market for dessert, a pound of each… to full to eat even one… I guess I know what my late-night snack will be!

I've waited all evening for this late night snack, a delicious peach from a grower I know in Mississippi. To top it off, a few muscadines and scuppernongs. (I knew all those peach grower meetings would pay off).

peach_v1.jpg

I am making Chicken Kiev using almond flour and parmesan cheese as the coating in place of bread crumbs. Then on the side I am making cheesy vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and green beans). Wife is going to make some sugar free vanilla ice cream in her Kitchen-aid ice cream maker and a raspberry compote to put on top. So between the butter in the Kievs, the cheese, and the ice cream it's going to be a dairy heavy dinner!

Don't know yet what I might fix for dinner tonight. Last night was BBQ ribs, pasta salad, red beans, and cookie pie. Slow cooked the ribs about 6 hours....falling off the bone tender, cut 'em with a fork.. MIGHT do good old fashioned beef stew for tonight....throw everything in the crock pot, let it go for 4-5 hours.

I am on a low carb, high protein diet.
No grains,seeds,nuts, so no bread,dairy.
No tomatoes,white potatoes,peppers hot or sweet or egg plant(nightshade family).
What can I eat?
All the meat I want & vegetables that are not grain, beans or nightshade family.
The autoimmune protocol (AIP) diet is designed to help reduce inflammation in the body to relieve symptoms of autoimmune disorders.
I am on this for at least three months while I am on PREDNISONE 10mg tablets, 1 a day.

I have a 4lb chuck roast in the crockpot making a pot roast. I did up extra carrots and potatoes so I have them for later in the week. I plan on using them to make a beef potpie
I will also separate some meat out and freeze it so I can make beef veggie soup and some chili later this year

I am on a low carb, high protein diet.
No grains,seeds,nuts, so no bread,dairy.
No tomatoes,white potatoes,peppers hot or sweet or egg plant(nightshade family).
What can I eat?
All the meat I want & vegetables that are not grain, beans or nightshade family.
The autoimmune protocol (AIP) diet is designed to help reduce inflammation in the body to relieve symptoms of autoimmune disorders.
I am on this for at least three months while I am on PREDNISONE 10mg tablets, 1 a day.
Well for tonight we're having 1" thick T-bone steaks.
Yummy.gif

On sale, they are about $5 each:
IMG_3149 (2).JPG

I guess we're just going to have to suffer thru 'Keto-night':rolleyes:.:sarcasm:

Last edited:
This morning I committed to making a batch of hotdogs before dinner and smoke them with pecan wood on my little grill, toss a few in the freezer. I took a nap at noon, when I woke it was pouring rain. It continued to rain, then rained some more. When that was done it really began to rain.

Everything that could go wrong trying to cook on a grill during a rain storm went wrong. Dinner was 1.5 hours late but I had a pecan smoked dog w/sweetcorn smothered in butter and baked beans… yummy.

:fun fun:

Oh, I found some sweet/hot mustard at the store. It has the name “Inglehoffer” on it. I buy their horseradish which is good, the mustard was good also.

Tonight I am making tacos using ground beef and my last batch of vacuum sealed taco seasoning. Then I am going to have make several more batches to get us through the rest of the year.

Of course it's not tacos without homemade pico and guac too!

Homemade vegetable soup will going in crock pot soon.
Just the thing for thunderstorms, thunder, lightening, rain.
If the power goes out throw a towel or cozy over the slow cooker and it will keep cooking for quite awhile.

Back