What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I am making grilled buffalo chicken. Which is really just grilling chicken breasts while basting them in a mixture of Frank's Red Hot, butter, and cayenne pepper. Then coating them in the remaining sauce and eating them with some real blue cheese dressing, celery, cucumber, and some cheese crisps. Cheese crisps being a homemade replacement for crackers or chips.

Today I'll be using up my last ham steak and I'm making pasta salad to go with it.

Its too humid ( 70% and climbing) to mess with anything else

Souvlaki (aka marinated Pork Kabobs) and Greek salad: diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, chopped onion, feta cheese, black olives, green olives (not pickled), olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Greek seasoning mix.

cd447-dsc06523.jpg

I am having a nice garden salad with strips of ham. My wife had a ham steak with scrambled eggs.
We both did too much in the heat and not really hungry.

One of my favorite meals, Sentry. Too bad you can't have spanakopita with it. Can you have the cucumber yogurt dip?

We are having taco salad.

Not doubt. But yes, we do have Tzatziki sauce, yum! My wife makes a version using a mixture of low sugar plain yogurt and sour cream. Plus of course cucumber.

Tonight I opened a can of Brunswick stew and had a tomato sandwich, my cousin has a patch of late tomatoes.

I miss going to N Georgia... Brunswick stew, love the stuff, lots of restaurants have it on the menu. I'm tempted to make some but the recipes are so complicated and take hours.

What I had tonight tasted like canned Brunswick stew... just makes me crave the good stuff even more. :(

Brunswick stew, love the stuff, lots of restaurants have it on the menu. I'm tempted to make some but the recipes are so complicated and take hours.

Interesting. Had never heard of it until right now. Looks pretty good, sans the lima beans / butter beans (which I hate). We make something similar using shredded pork and fresh chopped up green beans.

We make a lot of soups and stews in the winter that are semi-complicated and take hours. Nature of the best I guess.

Interesting. Had never heard of it until right now. Looks pretty good, sans the lima beans / butter beans (which I hate). We make something similar using shredded pork and fresh chopped up green beans.

We make a lot of soups and stews in the winter that are semi-complicated and take hours. Nature of the best I guess.

There are quick recipe versions that use pre-cooked pulled pork, chicken, venison, dealers choice. I was doing to try a long version recipe.

Its a southern tradition when men would gather to go racoon hunting at night... There was always a big pot of brunswick stew cooking on a fire at the meet location for those cold nights...

It's a good stew of basically what ever you have to put in the pot... I'm partial to Georgia versions of this stew.

Tonight I am making Sheet Pan Sausage & Veggies.

Our version of the recipe: cut up zucchini, squash, onions, carrots, cauliflower, and peppers and put in a large bowl. Then cut up sausage into 2" sections (we use kielbasa) and add to the veggies. Drizzle the entire things with garlic infused olive oil and melted butter, season it with Montreal steak seasoning, fresh ground salt, and fresh ground black pepper, then mix it up well. Cover a sheet pan with non-stick foil, spread the sausage and veggies out as even as you can, and roast it in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 400-425 degrees. We just set the pan in the middle of the table and dig in.

Tonight I am making Sheet Pan Sausage & Veggies.

Our version of the recipe: cut up zucchini, squash, onions, carrots, cauliflower, and peppers and put in a large bowl. Then cut up sausage into 2" sections (we use kielbasa) and add to the veggies. Drizzle the entire things with garlic infused olive oil and melted butter, season it with Montreal steak seasoning, fresh ground salt, and fresh ground black pepper, then mix it up well. Cover a sheet pan with non-stick foil, spread the sausage and veggies out as even as you can, and roast it in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 400-425 degrees. We just set the pan in the middle of the table and dig in.

I'm going to have to try that at some point. sounds good although I don't know what montreal seasoning is

I'm going to have to try that at some point. sounds good although I don't know what montreal seasoning is

You can buy it premade or you can make it:

• 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 1 tablespoon crushed coriander
  • 1 tablespoon dill
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

Latest posts

Back