What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@WVDragonlady @Terri9630

There are 3 bedrooms in the downstairs Duplex where my grandparents lived. When I moved in around 2000 a lot of my grandmother’s kitchen items were still here including Tupperware salt & pepper shakers.

The pepper shaker was sort of a dark blue color and the salt shaker was semi-clear. They were coated with 30 years of kitchen grease and grime. There was no cleaning them. I tried every cleaner imaginable. I even let them soak in bleach a few days to no avail. However, the stand/holder did clean up nicely.

I had a cousin order me new shakers and a few other things… I use the new shakers with the old stand. I sort of like the green color. I’ve never seen orange shakers.
----------------------

Think I'll make another pot of Brunswick Stew! I'll freeze some of this batch to thaw out when I don't feel like cooking.

Sounds good Peanut. I made a huge pot of okra,tomato,corn and ground beef. Will freeze most of it and eat the rest next couple days with our carrot,nut raisin salad. And corn bread of course.

The local Piggly Wiggly has no logic to their meat mark-downs, but I'll darn sure take them!! Bought them all out. Ground beef $1.76/lb. N. Y. Strip steaks, pkg of two, 6 oz each, $2/pkg. Sirloin, family pack, 3.68 lbs, $8. Center cut pork chops, box of 12, 4-6 oz each chop, $8/bx. Cube steaks, box of twelve, 4 oz steaks, $6/bx. Chicken thighs/drumsticks/breasts..$4 pkg (looks like a half dozen in each pkg).

Grilled NY Strip and baked potato tonight!!!

Good catch VJ… The Piggly Wiggly in the big town has great meat specials also but the store is in the worst possible location… An intersection at which no one uses their blinker if turning left... The cross street in the main thorough fare at rush hour, 5 lanes of insanity. Seems like there is always an accident at that intersection. There is also a tire store specializing in big rigs... I hate driving there so I stay away unless I’m in town before rush hour.

Had to post the pic… I changed the recipe from my first attempt. I added 2 more ounces of veggies because I like extra veggies and then I used fire-roasted tomatoes like the recipe called for. Last time I only had diced tomatoes in the pantry.

brunwick 2_v1.jpg

@WVDragonlady @Terri9630

I had a cousin order me new shakers and a few other things… I use the new shakers with the old stand. I sort of like the green color. I’ve never seen orange shakers.
I'll take a picture of them when I find the right box to unpack.

I made potato and egg salad.

Now you might think "what's so special about potato and egg salad?"

And the answer to that question is it's taken over 6 months to make it.

You see I grew and made everything in the salad apart from the mayonnaise ingredients.

The potatoes are kipfler which I grew myself.
Eggs from my own chickens.
Herbs, celery leaves and spring onions from the garden.
It tastes beautiful.

Home made coleslaw will be next.

Well I WAS going to have porkchops, roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli.

But then I saw where the pack of chops I took out to thaw only had 2 of them in there so I'm making some pork stew with the last of my potatoes, carrots, sweet peppers, onions and frozen peas in the crockpot. Gonna make some cornbread to go with it

German sausage, Bavarian kraut, roasted Brussel sprouts, and something called "strawberry fluff". Which is really just real naturally sweetened whipped cream with small pieces of strawberry folded in.

I made potato and egg salad.

Now you might think "what's so special about potato and egg salad?"

And the answer to that question is it's taken over 6 months to make it.

You see I grew and made everything in the salad apart from the mayonnaise ingredients.

The potatoes are kipfler which I grew myself.
Eggs from my own chickens.
Herbs, celery leaves and spring onions from the garden.
It tastes beautiful.

Home made coleslaw will be next.

That's awesome, sounds delicious too.

That's awesome, sounds delicious too.

Thank you.

It is and it was.

Kipfler potatoes are a waxy finger potato.
Perfect for salads.
I grew them for this very reason.
They're also have more resistance to potato scab than other varieties expect Russian banana potatoes but unfortunately I misses this years release (again) from the only supplier in the country.
Better luck next year.

Tonight I am making some BBQ pork chops, green beans with bacon, and buttery acorn squash.

Change of plans. Wife is taking the younger kids to an event where food is provided and the older kids are fending for themselves, so I am ordering in buffalo wings and then cutting up some celery pieces and making blue cheese dip.

They are not great. Unless you like subpar food and horrible service.

The food is ok but the service was really good. It only took 30 minutes for all 34 of us to get our orders and they only missed 1 drink.

Latest posts

Back