What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother has been trying to make stews but keeps making soups. Not sure what they are missing for thickness as I'm not a cook. He made a beef soup with beef broth, stew meat, seasonings, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. It's good, but it's missing something. My brother said something about peptin or something, I think.

Thanks for the info!
Raccoons got into the flour and we never replaced it. We do have corn starch though. Mom wanted to add onion powder. We can't have onions, black pepper, red pepper, etc in the stuff bc I'm allergic.
The baby bella mushrooms in it were very good. My brother almost put white mushrooms in but decided just to go with baby bella. White mushrooms can be sauteed in butter later. One thing I can do is saute mushrooms.

I had mashed potatoes with hamburger meat mixed with melted Velveeta and some sauteed mushrooms. Mom didn't complain about the mushrooms this time so I guess they weren't overpowering.

Question about the corn starch: Mom says it has to be mixed with boiling water in order to mix in right, is that true? Or can it just be hot without boiling?

tried out a campfire pressure cooker. Had a supper of chicken legs, carrots, onion, taters, pinch of salt and pepper and of course celery....It was good

this photo is before being cooked..

gGJ6Kjxl.jpg

Last night the volunteer fire dept sold fish plates. I went and got plates for several folks including me. The plates are heaping, 4 fillets, hushpuppies, fries, baked beans, don't like their coleslaw though. But then I've never been a big fan of coleslaw.

I had a second fish dinner for lunch today. I picked up a pound of pulled pork in town yesterday so its bbq sandwiches for dinner. I also bought a quart of my favorite bbq sauce so I'm set for a couple of months.

I had mashed potatoes with hamburger meat mixed with melted Velveeta and some sauteed mushrooms.

Question about the corn starch: Mom says it has to be mixed with boiling water in order to mix in right, is that true? Or can it just be hot without boiling?
I had mashed potatoes with hamburger meat mixed with melted Velveeta and some sauteed mushrooms. Mom didn't complain about the mushrooms this time so I guess they weren't overpowering.

I've always used cold water. Just mix it until there are no lumps.

Cold water slurry with corn starch did not thicken the stew. I think I had too much water and it watered the stew down a bit. I think next time I'm going to substitute beef broth for water and see if mixing that will maintain the flavor better and use more corn starch. Adding it after the stew was made probably didn't help. I think next time my brother goes to make it, I'll use the corn starch first. We forgot to get flour last time we were at the store. Still need to clean out the pantry and re-organize.

enchiladas and cheeseburgers sound good!

Last night the volunteer fire dept sold fish plates. I went and got plates for several folks including me. The plates are heaping, 4 fillets, hushpuppies, fries, baked beans, don't like their coleslaw though. But then I've never been a big fan of coleslaw.

I had a second fish dinner for lunch today. I picked up a pound of pulled pork in town yesterday so its bbq sandwiches for dinner. I also bought a quart of my favorite bbq sauce so I'm set for a couple of months.

We like colwslaw and I really like it, in a couple days will make a whole head of cabbage of coleslaw,will eat on that for about 3 1/2 days ,I like to eat small meals or snacks off and on.
Also like slaw dogs.

Today had early supper of BLT & chips.

Sparky, that looks delicious!

Mo, I love ham! We used to get spiralized hams and would bake them. I had a cat who was absolutely loved it. She would go nuts wanting table scraps--and she was a cat who normally didn't beg for anything other than petting. She would usually gently lick table scraps daintily. If it was the spiralized ham or rotisserie chicken she would go whole hog (no pun intended).

The soup my brother made is finally starting to thicken up. We are keeping it heated on "keep warm" setting in the pressure cooker. My brother is too lazy to put leftovers away himself.

Ham and beans are finished.
Oh so good.
So got ham, potato, corn chowder type soup going now in crock pot.
Hot rolls are rising.
Chocolate cake with pecan,coconut,oatmeal, brown sugar icing.(Oatmeal cake).
Coffee.
Haven't made chocolate cake yet.
But will in the morning.

Last edited:
Back