What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chili is just starting to get good the second day. Especially with green onion, a little cheese and a dollop of daisy!

chili sour cream (2) sm.JPG

Had leftover shepherd's pie. Mom doesn't like it anymore for some reason. She no longer likes the usual things I cook for her and I don't know what to do. Our options for stuff to buy are limited in this area and I am not a very good cook. I need to find something else to make for her that is quick and easy.
She doesn't like tomatoes in stuff. Can't have onions or pepper either (since I'm allergic).
Any suggestions?
(We don't have an oven but we have an induction cooktop and a microwave).

Had leftover shepherd's pie. Mom doesn't like it anymore for some reason. She no longer likes the usual things I cook for her and I don't know what to do. Our options for stuff to buy are limited in this area and I am not a very good cook. I need to find something else to make for her that is quick and easy.
She doesn't like tomatoes in stuff. Can't have onions or pepper either (since I'm allergic).
Any suggestions?
(We don't have an oven but we have an induction cooktop and a microwave).
There are some good frozen skillet dinners, put in a pan with water and go. I think Birdseye makes some, and Great Value (Walmart brand). You might also try hamburger or chicken helper.

Stopped at the good deli in town today... Dinner was roast beast sandwich on fresh Italian loaf, yummy.

I had lunch at Mr. Bill's in the big town, meat n 3 everyday, even open for dinner. Anyway, the country fried steak was great along with the white gravy, excellent. The cabbage was out of this world! I asked for a 2nd helping of cabbage instead of dessert. And the cornbread is cornbread... not sweet corn bread cake mix. Not fond of modern sweet cornbread.

Mr. Bills (4)a.JPG

Mr. Bills (2)a.JPG

Steak (beef), mashed potatoes for my wife and roasted broccoli florets.

Went down the road for the meat n 3 lunch today. Had the baked spaghetti, yummy. I'm not overly found of okra fried this way with a heavy batter. I treat it as a finger food and use a little ranch dressing as a dip. I much prefer okra fried in a cast iron skillet with a dusting of flour, just enough to crisp up and a little browning.

Not sure what is for dinner...

baked spaghettai.JPG

, , , Our options for stuff to buy are limited in this area and I am not a very good cook. I need to find something else to make for her that is quick and easy. . . .

A crockpot could turn into your best friend. You can cook anything in it even baked potatoes and there are hundreds of very easy recipes online. Do you have access to basic meats and vegetables or is your resource a small Dollar General type store limited to primarily canned goods?

Example: cut up some squash and spread across the bottom of the crockpot, season with what you like. I sprinkle mine with garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning and such. Add other vegetables if you want like chopped spinach. I put an 8 oz brick of cream cheese on top of my veggies and two boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cook on low until chicken is done then shred it. The cheese will be melted so you can mix it into the veggies and chicken. Cook some pasta separately, drain and mix into veggies/chicken until everything is coated with the cheese sauce. It is a very mild flavor so you'll need to add salt and pepper to taste.

I make this with tomatoes instead of squash but I think almost any kind of vegetables would work.

Spaghetti
Made the meatballs with ground beef that I just picked up direct from the farmer today (had a sizable order). When my son bit into a meatball, he said, "wow! great beef!" Yes, yes it is. I love getting meat direct from the source. It's a lot less processed.

Back