What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open face roast beast w/melted pepperjack, potato salad and peppers. I cut a cantaloupe but it was already too ripe, darn.

open roast beast a .JPG

Tonight I made grilled salmon, quinoa/grains mix, and broiled Brussels sprout halves. The combination sounds maybe a little bit weird, but it came out really good.

This is what happens when you wander through the grocery store not knowing what you are going to buy, and just randomly pick up things that are on sale or look enticing. I added some of that chicken flavored "Better than Bouillon" to the quinoa mix. For some reason, the Brussels sprouts looked really fresh and good in the bin so I grabbed those, halved them, buttered and salted the halves, and broiled them until the edges just started to brown and curl. They don't come out bitter when you cook them this way (I don't mind the bitter, but my wife doesn't care for it).

Topped it off with a desert of double chocolate-chocolate chip cookie from the bakery (the wife went for ice cream instead of the cookie).

Tonight I made grilled salmon, quinoa/grains mix, and broiled Brussels sprout halves. The combination sounds maybe a little bit weird, but it came out really good.

This is what happens when you wander through the grocery store not knowing what you are going to buy, and just randomly pick up things that are on sale or look enticing. I added some of that chicken flavored "Better than Bouillon" to the quinoa mix. For some reason, the Brussels sprouts looked really fresh and good in the bin so I grabbed those, halved them, buttered and salted the halves, and broiled them until the edges just started to brown and curl. They don't come out bitter when you cook them this way (I don't mind the bitter, but my wife doesn't care for it).

Topped it off with a desert of double chocolate-chocolate chip cookie from the bakery (the wife went for ice cream instead of the cookie).
Yesterday for breakfast I had leftover salmon and quinoa😋

I added some of that chicken flavored "Better than Bouillon" to the quinoa mix.

I used the "Better than Bouillon" recently in a pot of Hot n Sour Soup. It is better than bouillon but has a short shelf life. Now it's taking up space in my refrigerator. I'll continue to buy the powdered kind. The only reason I'll buy more BtB is if I plan enough meals ahead of time to use most of a jar.

I used the "Better than Bouillon" recently in a pot of Hot n Sour Soup. It is better than bouillon but has a short shelf life. Now it's taking up space in my refrigerator. I'll continue to buy the powdered kind. The only reason I'll buy more BtB is if I plan enough meals ahead of time to use most of a jar.
We keep the stuff forever. You mean we're supposed to use it quickly after opening it? Oops. Oh well. We haven't died yet.

We keep the stuff forever. You mean we're supposed to use it quickly after opening it? Oops. Oh well. We haven't died yet.
I’m the same, Haertig. I just keep using it. I ignore most expiration dates. They are told to put expiration dates on things by the FDA but I believe it is simply a guideline. 😏
I give it the ole sniff test.

And so many people think dented cans mean you can get sick from that can of food. It’s the BLOATED cans we should avoid. I have no problem buying dented cans at a reduced price.

My fridge isn't very big. At times space is a premium. I dislike having to put the "better bouillon" in my fridge. Its in a short fat jar, if they put it in a tall skinny jar I'd stock up on the stuff. The regular powdered bouillon is fine in my pantry, just seal it back up.

Edit... almost forgot. I made salmon patties tonight, finally getting the hang of it. The first two times were a disaster, too moist then too dry. They'd fall apart or never brown right. I finally got the moisture right last time but they were too thick. They were almost black by the time the center was done. This time they looked and tasted right, nicely browned on each side.

How hard can they be, right? Simple stuff but the first few times they kicked my butt.

Last edited:
My fridge isn't very big. At times space is a premium. I dislike having to put the "better bouillon" in my fridge. Its in a short fat jar, if they put it in a tall skinny jar I'd stock up on the stuff. The regular powdered bouillon is fine in my pantry, just seal it back up.

Edit... almost forgot. I made salmon patties tonight, finally getting the hang of it. The first two times were a disaster, too moist then too dry. They'd fall apart or never brown right. I finally got the moisture right last time but they were too thick. They were almost black by the time the center was done. This time they looked and tasted right, nicely browned on each side.

How hard can they be, right? Simple stuff but the first few times they kicked my butt.
When I’m cooking something new to me, I always follow a recipe. When I get the hang of it, I make adjustments as I see fit. But I have to have the proper ‘basic’ recipe first.

Tater cakes are my absolute favorite! Ive actually been in a fistfight over tater cakes and that was in my late 40s! :D

I have never in my life had a tater cake. After looking up a few recipes on the net I know why.

In my family there were never enough left over mashed potatoes to make one!

Even if we had KFC it was a fight to see who got to sop out the leftover gravy from the mashed potato container with a biscuit!
biggrin.gif

Nope, no left over mashed potatoes here!

Tonight we had baby-back ribs, baked beans, potato salad, corn on the cob; we were going to have brownies and ice cream. But we were too full for desert... While I had the grill fired up I went ahead and BBQed some chicken legs, the wife doesn't care for them, but I now have lunch covered for a week... ;)

Eating out tonight. Mexican food. The wife will be having their fancy burrito meal with rice and beans sides, and I will be having "Pollo Culichi". I'm not sure exactly what pollo culichi is - it has a grilled chicken breast in some kind of green creamy chili sauce (a gravy-like texture) mixed with pablano peppers and mushrooms, and rice and beans on the side. Whatever it is - it's good!

Eating out tonight. Mexican food. The wife will be having their fancy burrito meal with rice and beans sides, and I will be having "Pollo Culichi". I'm not sure exactly what pollo culichi is - it has a grilled chicken breast in some kind of green creamy chili sauce (a gravy-like texture) mixed with pablano peppers and mushrooms, and rice and beans on the side. Whatever it is - it's good!
Mmmm, hope ya'll had fun😋

Back