What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bierrocks are popular around here, too. Even bierrock stands at the heritage day celebration and the fair. Our little amish discount store sells frozen ones. I've seen them baked in a pan with a big of marinara on them, too. And some are made spicey.

They freeze really well but very few ever make it to the freezer in my house.

Those Bierrocks look great! They remind me (a little bit) of something that used to come from a little shop in our area (30+ years ago, long gone now). They were called "pastys". Filled with steak or hamburger, mixed with onions and potatoes. I believe they are British. Possibly Irish.

Another similar food is the "empanada" from Argentina. We had an empanada place up a few miles north of my place that I used to go to, but covid got them. They're still in business, but they are wholesale and restaurant supply only now. They shuttered their retail dining (which consisted of two or three tables outside their kitchen under a tree).

pasty:
pasty.jpg

empanada:
empanada.jpg

I have one of those presses and empanadas can be made with fruit, a dessert type thing and are fried. That would be called a fry pie here, and I love the cherry cream cheese ones.
Bierrocks in our area....pinch off your bread dough, roll in a ball, flatten, put in filling, bring the sides up and get the ball look going again, so that the filling is in the ball. Bake.

Grilled chicken breasts, salad, corn. Ice cream for dessert. Then some beef jerky for the after-dessert-dessert. Hey, what can I say? The jerky just happened to come out of the dehydrator right after I finished the ice cream! I just couldn't let it go without a taste test (which kind of grew into chomping down four or five pieces).

Latest posts

Back