What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkey quiche, green salad, fresh cherries, broccoli.
We eat alot of sweet potatoes. I peel them and boil them till soft, not mushy. We eat them plain. Usually once a week. Tonight husband also had a half of baked acorn squash. He eats that plain, too. I still have winter squash from last season that we are eating, stored in the basement

I have been making big pots of soup for most of my adult life. Many years ago, I realized that I would be sick of it by the time it was gone. I've been using deli containers to freeze meal size servings. When I was still teaching, I could go to the freezer, grab one on my way out the door, and by lunch time, it would be thawed and ready to eat. I still do this. Now I make batches of soup and always freeze some of it. One day this week when it was raining, I had cauliflower soup from the freezer.
Mine were leftovers from the freezer! I realized that if I didn’t get the soup eaten now, it was going to sit in there until we got cool weather in October. 😅

Been a few days since I’ve been on. Lunch today was home-smoked steelhead on (gluten-free) bagels with (dairy-free, homemade) cream cheese and gorgeous farmers’ market tomatoes and red onion, yum. Watermelon on the side.

Dinner’s going to be leftover kalua pig with garlic rice and some kind of salad.

Mine were leftovers from the freezer! I realized that if I didn’t get the soup eaten now, it was going to sit in there until we got cool weather in October. 😅

Been a few days since I’ve been on. Lunch today was home-smoked steelhead on (gluten-free) bagels with (dairy-free, homemade) cream cheese and gorgeous farmers’ market tomatoes and red onion, yum. Watermelon on the side.

Dinner’s going to be leftover kalua pig with garlic rice and some kind of salad.
I looked to see when you were on last😊! A friend got some beautiful tomatoes from a farmer's market on the weekend. She gave me two, one went really fast!! Nothing like home grown tomatoes!!

Lunch - ribs. Fresh potatoes and cabbage from the garden, soooo good!

Dinner will be a repeat but... I have an ear of silver queen and cantaloupe to add. I bought a nice watermelon for a late snack.

food cabb.JPG

Tried some of this bread from Costco. Yum! I can't believe how good it was. A strong sourdough. It's pre-cooked, comes as three loaves individually wrapped in plastic with an oxygen absorber inside in each package, and it is shelf stable (no refrigeration required) for something phenomenal like 6 months. Pop it in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. It had been about 6 weeks since we bought it at Costco. Perfectly fresh when we heated it tonight.

Highly recommended if you like sourdough (I love it)!

bread.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I missed the tater tot party.
We had a reunion of sorts at my favorite cousin's place for dinner. One of the cousins was in from Indiana, so we had a reunion with about 10 other cousins and their spouses. Dinner was sloppy joes and hotdogs. Other salads were brought. I brought asparagus and potato salad. Swiss cake and ice cream with mashed strawberries for dessert. Granddaughter's boyfriend bringing her home from his graduation party, noticed we weren't home, she had him drop off at my cousins, then made him come in. All the horse and buggies there should of given him a clue. She brought him in, and I've never seen him at such a loss for words. Ha.

I have been experimenting with Thai Curry recipes.
The restaurants are better of course but mine's not bad.
Still a works in progress.
Where I live if you want something other than Mexican, Chinese, or fast food you have to make it yourself.
If you're ever up in Spokane, there is a fantastic Thai restaurant, one of the best, and rivals those in San Francisco.
The green curry is soooo good (I swear they put crack in it), and the portions are huge.
https://www.kunisthai.com/

Latest posts

Back