What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sockeye......aka Red Salmon.

No......I would have to go to the Russian River Falls, about 20 miles south, and dip Sockeye Salmon with a special dip net.

My river here has King Salmon and Silver Salmon. The Silvers are currently choaking the mouth of Six-mile creek, and the Harbor Seals and Buliga Whales are chasing them. It is amazing to watch as the tide turns it becomes a boiling "Firenze" of tens of thousands of salmon frantically rushing for the spawning grounds, while dozens of white whales, and brown-black harbor seals fight to eat the salmon. The water is just a froth of animals.

I don't fish with a rod and reel, easier to just dip out 6 or 10 each dip.

Last edited:
I’d been planning to make a rigatoni salad with broccoli, mushrooms, and tomatoes, and sausage on the side. That got derailed, so we had fish, shishito peppers, and roasted baby potatoes instead. Tomorrow, rigatoni!

Dad called, had bought a large bucket grocery store fried chicken. I took 3 pieces home.

I'm sorry, someone does that to a chicken and calls it fried needs to be tarred and feathered! Especially here in the deep south! Sacrilege! They had to go out of their way to be this bad.

I expected the meat to be dry so I got thighs, still dry. The batter was worse, clumpy and tasted a little like paste, reminded me of Elmer's.

Guess the pup is getting the last two pieces.

Last edited:
Already ate a big ol' bacon avocado cheeseburger, so I'm done for the evening... I wanted something substantial after that hard labor this morning, and the burger hit the spot. I sliced one of those big Hatch chile peppers and included it in my burger, it was delicious. Nothing on the side, just a cold root beer, and now I'm full without feeling bloated, lol. Got several additional burgers & a mess of bacon in the fridge for meals later this week. Time to get horizontal with Crackhead & read a good Western from the library... :)
No goathead demolition tomorrow morning... :woo hoo:

Made egg roll in a bowl. Turned out pretty good
Color me interested. Is that like a deconstructed eggroll? I need details. 😆
Pretty easy. Just brown some burger, then drain. Add in an onion, a bag of slaw (or chop your own), garlic salt, soy sauce, sesame sauce, and grate some ginger over it to your taste. Stir it up and let it simmer a few minutes.
So easy even I could do it

Made egg roll in a bowl. Turned out pretty good

Pretty easy. Just brown some burger, then drain. Add in an onion, a bag of slaw (or chop your own), garlic salt, soy sauce, sesame sauce, and grate some ginger over it to your taste. Stir it up and let it simmer a few minutes.
So easy even I could do it

I'm gonna try this... I have wonton dough, which is the same dough used for spring rolls and dumplings. Deep fry a couple pieces for the bottom of the bowl and pour the fixin's over the top, sort of like a bowl of nachos, except with crunchy wonton.

Deep fried a pork chop tonight, salad on the side.

Last edited:
I looked for tots at the market the other day. No tots but had little potato logs, the length of two tots end to end. I don't remember the name on the pkg but didn't call them tots. I passed.

Chicken on a stick.

Build a small smoldering fire.

Lock dogs up.

Cut through the backbone of a smallish chicken and flatten it out. (smashed chicken)

Make a tripod of soaked sticks over the fire and drape the chicken over it.

Turn chicken so both sides get cooked/smoked.

Do some yard work and watch to make sure some varmint doesn't run off with dinner.

Back