What are you paying for gas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alcohol won't go bad if it is untreated. In a stable environment it will not even collect water. If it is used as a fuel you want about 14 to 20% water anyway. It makes the fuel produce more power because of the latent heat from the water turning to steam.

Ethanol is horrible for fuel systems. Leave it in your mower carb over the winter and see how easy it is to start in the spring. You'll be lucky if it runs at all. Pure gas never gives that problem

It is not the alcohol that causes the problems in your mowers aluminum carburetor. The gasoline evaporates before the alcohol leaving a gummy mixture of additives that react with the water that condenses to make a strong alkaline mixture that eats aluminum and turns to a very hard salt. The additives are put in the gasoline to make the alcohol stay in solution but when the gas evaporates the additives do a lot of damage. If you put pure alcohol in your mower it would not cause problems at all.
I have seen carburetors gummed up so bad that I had to use wire and a pin vice to clean the passages after soaking in cleaner overnight. This was before they added alcohol to the gas. All three of my cars were made to run on leaded gasoline. I haven't had any problems with them and sometimes the fuel in the tank doesn't get refreshed for several months. I don't use additives or conditioners in my fuel. It comes out of the pump with 10% alcohol like it does for everyone else. My carburetors are aluminum on two of the cars and the third has a zinc carburetor on it. Fuel sat in that car for three years once and the car started and ran fine - it smelled bad because the gas was old and it had a lack of power but the fuel system is still fine in it. Once I filled the tank with fresh gas it was just like new.

For your lawn mower you should shut the fuel off and run the carburetor dry and then mist it with a little ATF before putting it away for the winter. It also helps to put it in a dry place with even temperatures so water doesn't condense inside the carburetor. (that happens with or without alcohol present.)

By my experience ethanol has been a problem since it was mandated... It wreaks havoc on small engines for a myriad of reasons... I trust the experts on this...

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/basics/ethanol-free-fuel/
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/c...ol-and-its-effects-on-outdoor-power-equipment
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...ethanol-can-make-small-engines-fail/index.htm
https://offers.bellperformance.com/ethanol-problems
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/premixed-fuel/
For more than a decade now I've only purchased non-ethanol gas for the farm. I haven't had a single problem since.

Sometimes it requires a little effort to find but non-ethanol gasoline can be purchased in most states. It's the only gasoline I buy for storage and all small engines I own.

Last edited:
As long as it works for you and you have the choice go for it.
I trust my 40 years as a mechanic, the background I have in chemistry (hobbyist) and the years of running my own speed shop.

I will agree that E10 should not be used in 2 cycle engines unless you use the special oil and that neglecting E10 in outdoor power tools can cause severe problems but most of those problems are related to negligence or lack of education.Do an experiment:
Take three pint jars, one with regular non-alcohol gasoline, one with e10 and one with pure ethanol. In each jar put a piece of steel tubing, some rubber fuel line and the top off an aluminum can. Put them in a covered place (like a tool shed) and leave them uncovered. Write down what happens in the open jars at one week intervals until the e10 and gasoline evaporate. Compare what is left of the three pieces placed in each jar.

Why would I do an experiment when actual scientist have already done all the testing required. I will their words over a mere mechanic anytime.

I have never neglected any piece of equipment I have owned.

How did you get a carburetor failure in your mower if not neglecting to run it dry before winter storage?
THAT my friend is neglect. :)

I've never had a carburetor failure in my mower... Assuming I did so? THAT my friend is just plain silly!

For anyone new to small engines... Stop by your local small engine repair shop and ask "ethanol or non-ethanol?"... They will tell you the truth.

Add our state's $0.65 per gallon tax and you have the cost for gas here. I don't buy gas in Washington.

$3.41 is just ridiculous. Most places here are just under $2 for regular ethanol. I stopped at the whole sale oil distributor in town this afternoon. Their regular gas is usually about .20 cents above average but it's a one stop shop for fuel, hydraulic fluid... anything farm related... and of course non-ethanol gas.

As if I needed another reason for the still
If you had a 5hp mower and started using ethanol you would have a 3.5 to 4 hp mower... UNLESS you bump the compression up to 13:1. Then you would have a 6 hp mower! You're gonna need a bigger carb and exhaust system!:)

Well for the people waiting for $169. gas. It will come.
Of course almost all places will be empty in 3 months after they turn the valves off.
Nobody wants for talk about the supply side of economics.
"Sell this at $1 below cost, or Leave it in the tank for when prices soar?
You decide.

I think the last time I looked it was $1.88, but I haven't been out in a week.

I will be venturing to Wally World tomorrow to get groceries and meds. I will be heavily armed, and take no prisoners. Hope to give you a report when I get back.

Latest posts

Back