What are you paying for gas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regular gas $3.49. Diesel…$5.29. Damn!!!!
Diesel is getting too expensive.
They need to put John Kerry windmills on them trucks instead. :thumbs:
The faster you drive, the more power you have😍.
bdwm5333.jpg

Gasoline is $4.19 on the Florida side of the state line. Over in Georgia the governor suspended state gas tax and it's $3.79.
40 cents difference.
Diesel is above $5.75 most everywhere, even in Georgia.

Independent truckers are parking their rigs. Small trucking firms are facing hard choices.
The price on everything is about to REALLY take off.

My 2007 GMC pickup has the 5.3 V-8 with Active Fuel Management. This is an attempt to help GM achieve the government mandated CAFE standards.
When my engine is not under load, it switches to 4 cylinders. Driving down the road, it will go back and forth between 4 and 8 many times per minute. I have a real time read out available on the dash board.
The engine has to release compression from 4 cylinders when they are not firing, using a complicated system of lifters that lock and unlock 40, 50 or 60 times per second, using oil pressure and computer activated solenoids.

When my truck was new, and running on 87 octane gas, it got almost 19 MPG. When E-10 came out, that dropped to 16.8.
Delivering auto parts to shops, and being a gear head myself, I'm always interested in what they are working on.
I began to see a lot of Chevy 5.3 motors laying around in various stages of disassembly, so I started asking questions.
The GM active fuel management system destroys the special lifters and wipes out cam shafts. Of course GM never let any buyers know this. It wasn't until the 2019 model year they redesigned it.
Cost to replace cam and lifters? That starts at $2,100, plus any extra stuff that is found inside.

So, since I have to make this truck last until i'm too old to drive, and since I've already got 250,000 miles on it, I spent $200 for a computer chip that plugs into my diagnostic port and locks it into 8 cylinders all the time.
Upside - engine should last to 400,000 or more the way I take care of it.
Downside - I now average 14.8 mpg combined city/highway and gas is over $4.
On my 3,100 mile trip to Maine last year I did average 18.6. Yea!!!

So, heads up if you have a GM with a 5.3 made from 2007 to 2019. You're driving on borrowed time.

My 2007 GMC pickup has the 5.3 V-8 with Active Fuel Management. This is an attempt to help GM achieve the government mandated CAFE standards.
When my engine is not under load, it switches to 4 cylinders. Driving down the road, it will go back and forth between 4 and 8 many times per minute. I have a real time read out available on the dash board.
The engine has to release compression from 4 cylinders when they are not firing, using a complicated system of lifters that lock and unlock 40, 50 or 60 times per second, using oil pressure and computer activated solenoids.

When my truck was new, and running on 87 octane gas, it got almost 19 MPG. When E-10 came out, that dropped to 16.8.
Delivering auto parts to shops, and being a gear head myself, I'm always interested in what they are working on.
I began to see a lot of Chevy 5.3 motors laying around in various stages of disassembly, so I started asking questions.
The GM active fuel management system destroys the special lifters and wipes out cam shafts. Of course GM never let any buyers know this. It wasn't until the 2019 model year they redesigned it.
Cost to replace cam and lifters? That starts at $2,100, plus any extra stuff that is found inside.

So, since I have to make this truck last until i'm too old to drive, and since I've already got 250,000 miles on it, I spent $200 for a computer chip that plugs into my diagnostic port and locks it into 8 cylinders all the time.
Upside - engine should last to 400,000 or more the way I take care of it.
Downside - I now average 14.8 mpg combined city/highway and gas is over $4.
On my 3,100 mile trip to Maine last year I did average 18.6. Yea!!!

So, heads up if you have a GM with a 5.3 made from 2007 to 2019. You're driving on borrowed time.
I have a '99 Z71 with the good old 5.3 in it! Tons of miles and not bad on gas!!

Today I took the wife to a dentist appointment (she doesn't get out much), as we were coming home I was sitting at a stop light and I heard her say, "The sign say's gas is $4.50 a gallon, that can't be right!" Then we past another and it was higher and as I was pulling into the driveway she said, "I just couldn't believe that gas had gotten so expensive, thanks JOE..."

It took a big jump overnight! Need to get gas today, if I don't pass out from shock I'll report in later!

I had the sticker shock Sunday night. First time I EVER put $40.00 worth of gas in my car, and it didn't fill the tank. I remember back in the 70's when we were all starting out and as poor as church mice. Money was tight, and we were all starting families. A very close friend set the benchmark for when we would have enough disposable income. "I just want to be able to say 'filler up' ". Seems like we have gone back to those times.

Last edited:
20 cent jump overnight to 4.60 per. Gotta love it. I said when this ball got rolling it would be 5 bucks a gallon by July 4th.

20 cent jump overnight to 4.60 per. Gotta love it. I said when this ball got rolling it would be 5 bucks a gallon by July 4th.

I don't doubt that prediction, and we are not far from it.

Back