What are you sewing in and for your home ? .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on this year's Christmas gifts.
I don't buy gifts. I make things that are unique.
Right now working on embroidery birth announcements,wedding announcements,mug rugs,place mats etc.
Each family has a consistent theme.
One niece like wine and coffee so she gets coffee cup mug rugs, place mats for the kitchen.
Dining room table has napkins with embroidery napkins with wine glasses etc.
table runner with wine bottle and grapes around the edges.
Personal gifts.
Another niece is having a baby in April, so she's getting baby quilt, bumper pads for crib and curtains.
Stepsons are getting tv quilts.
And the list goes on, on and on.
I am using up my fabric stash.
Started with 25-18 gallon totes down to 1-18 gallon tote,2 metal jelly cabinets,1 hanging file cabinet(hung fabric over file folder hangers).
When I do buy fabric I buy from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are just up the road from me about an hour and half away.
Baby due 17 March will be here Monday.
She's having contractions now.
Then we have 4 more due through out the rest of year.

@MoBookworm1957 that is so lovely that you make all of your gifts for other family members :D to me anyway they are made with love and are extra special. The gifts are all the more special because you know the preferred décor styles and subjects each person likes.
I have a 3 ring binder for each family.
Also I take pictures of each gift, place in binder under each child's name.
As the children have families of their own they each get their own binders now.
This way nobody gets the same gift if possible.
I use this method when I repair quilts too.

Weedy, they're called Roman shades, I always want to say Roman blinds. Anyway, I've made them and they were easier to make than I thought, and I lined them too.

Yes, that's what I made! I made one that was insulated and had magnets on the sides. It helped to insulate the window. I need to make some more.

The binder idea is an EXCELLENT one Mo!!!! I need to do that - my memory is getting worse and worse. :)
I have binders from 1983.
From when I first started quilting again after being on active duty for a few years.
It's nice to look through the pictures and see how far I have improved (or not).
Some blocks I still have trouble with, so those blocks goes into sampler box and binders.
Also have bookcase in closet filled with binders of quilts, that have been donated to worthwhile organizations,friends,family etc. Binders of quilts I have repaired through the years.

I could only wish to have that kind of stash! :) Seems like I always need to buy more fabric for a project. . . but it is slowly building up.
I always have to buy fabric. Or I use old shirts my mom gives me. Blouses. She gives me her old blouses. Like...I don't wear those. Lol. but she continues to give them to me. Lots of crazy prints but some good buttons, trims and stuff. I am pretty handy with a seam ripper now.

I will be sewing more swap blocks today. I'm going to have to remember that the sewing part takes more time than I'd imagined. Once I had everything cut and ready to go I thought the sewing would only take a few hours....yeah right.lol.

I'm getting better every time though. So maybe with more practice it will come together quicker.

Good idea. I make alot of projects that go in gift baskets. Especially for my employees. I have to remember who has already had what. I think I'll start a binder.
I am asking, so you have to share, please state your business. :ghostly:
You probably have already posted it somewhere here. You can p.m. me if you'd rather not de-rail the thread.
And tell us about your binder for sewing projects. I'm a pinterest hoarder, which I guess is better than binders, but I end up just enjoying the thought that, hey, I might make that some day, etc. Off to start another thread. On sewing and crafting. lol

No baby yet.
We have a baby boy!
Wesley Luke
8 pounds and 6 ounces
Mom and baby are doing well.
Dad not doing so well.
They will now have 8 kids in their home now.
Oldest(hers) age 13, down to newborn.
4 boys and 4 girls.
Hers: age 13 boy, age 9 boy
His: age 12, boy, age 10 girl, age 8 girl, age 6 girl
Theirs: age 3 girl, and newborn boy.

Last edited:
I am asking, so you have to share, please state your business. :ghostly:
You probably have already posted it somewhere here. You can p.m. me if you'd rather not de-rail the thread.
And tell us about your binder for sewing projects. I'm a pinterest hoarder, which I guess is better than binders, but I end up just enjoying the thought that, hey, I might make that some day, etc. Off to start another thread. On sewing and crafting. lol
Sent you a pm

@MoBookworm1957 just catching up on this thread congratulations on the new baby grandson :D .

It is truly amazing how much fabric everyone can get out of old sheets, curtains doona covers and old clothing from op shops or given away on the internet to do lots of sewing projects with little expenditure. I have never been a quilter but must try when I get in our own home as the cottage is really too small to do large projects in.

Two more bread bags made today and I listed them in my eBay store for sale. So happy that now all of my stash of fabrics due to earnings from online sales are now free to us and I can make so many more things with the fabric I have stored.

Here is what they look like and I squared off the ends so they fit high top loaves of bread made in a bread making machine such as ours -

bread bag aqua polka dot 2.JPG

black and white chevron bread bag 1.JPG

black and white chevron bread bag 2.JPG

Two more bread bags made today and I listed them in my eBay store for sale. So happy that now all of my stash of fabrics due to earnings from online sales are now free to us and I can make so many more things with the fabric I have stored.

Here is what they look like and I squared off the ends so they fit high top loaves of bread made in a bread making machine such as ours -
I love this idea. I have purchased some boxes of plastic bread bags, but these are so much more attractive.

Is there a pattern out there that you used, or did you figure out what was needed? Are your bread bags lined to help preserve your bread?

Thanks @Weedygarden I thought so too rather than the plain black plastic and calico coloured ones that are for sale.

I followed an internet tutorial but made mine bigger cutting the fabric at 78cm or 30.7" W and 54cm or 21.25" H and made the ties 50cm or 19.68" L x 5cm or 1.96" W and when I squared off the bottom I put a line of straight stitching and then a line of zigzag instead of using pinking shears and always double stitch all hems as well the same way so they don't come apart. The bread bag is not lined and doesn't need to be because from my experiment with the first bread bag I made it keeps your bread fresh for 3 days simply sitting on the kitchen bench with the top of the bread bag tied off.

Mine ended up when made and sewn being 48cm or 18.89" H x 38cm or 14.96" W .

Here is the tutorial I followed but adjusted for our larger bread loaves we make in our bread making machine - https://soresourceful.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/tutorial-how-to-make-a-bread-bag/ .

I hope this helps yourself and others too :) .

Thanks @Weedygarden I thought so too rather than the plain black plastic and calico coloured ones that are for sale.

I followed an internet tutorial but made mine bigger cutting the fabric at 78cm or 30.7" W and 54cm or 21.25" H and made the ties 50cm or 19.68" L x 5cm or 1.96" W and when I squared off the bottom I put a line of straight stitching and then a line of zigzag instead of using pinking shears and always double stitch all hems as well the same way so they don't come apart. The bread bag is not lined and doesn't need to be because from my experiment with the first bread bag I made it keeps your bread fresh for 3 days simply sitting on the kitchen bench with the top of the bread bag tied off.

Mine ended up when made and sewn being 48cm or 18.89" H x 38cm or 14.96" W .

Here is the tutorial I followed but adjusted for our larger bread loaves we make in our bread making machine - https://soresourceful.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/tutorial-how-to-make-a-bread-bag/ .

I hope this helps yourself and others too :) .
Thank you, Sewingcreations15! I will check it out.

I am not sewing anything, but my wife suddenly decided that she wanted to make some quilts. She has made many dresses and female clothing items over the years as well as repaired a lot of things, but now she is all about quilts. She is leaving here shortly to attend an intermediate level quilt making class at the fabric store, but has already been working on a few of them. I suspect by Christmas everyone of our daughters will have a quilt on their beds. She is also planning on making a "lap quilt" for my Mom for when she is sitting in her recliner. She has hinted at least 10 times this month that when our oldest boy (presumably) flies the coop after next year to go to college, his bedroom is going to become her craft & sewing room with a Murphy bed. She even joked about a getting him a pop up camper for the driveway so she could get his room converted right away. :)

Latest posts

Back