What are you sewing in and for your home ? .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had one!
That upholstery machine has sat unused for over 15 years. I just can't bring myself to let it go. Mom supported herself and my brother for years with it.
She had no upholstery experience when she started but taught herself and became very good. Occasionally someone will stop and ask if she is still working.

That upholstery machine has sat unused for over 15 years. I just can't bring myself to let it go. Mom supported herself and my brother for years with it.
She had no upholstery experience when she started but taught herself and became very good. Occasionally someone will stop and ask if she is still working.
I totally get that, not being able to let go of something that the one parent you had who raised you used to support you and the family. If you are like me, you think of and miss your mother everyday.

@backlash your Mum sounded like a talented and wonderful woman who learnt on her feet like me. There is a good living to be made out of sewing and upholstering if you know what you are doing. I can understand that the sewing machine would be a wonderful reminder of her and do keep it and use it as I am sure she would have liked that.

That machine would be a good thing for tent making.

Thursday I made the second curtain for the food storage room and patched dark grey quilters cotton to the top to make up for the difference in fabric they were out of stock of and it looks good and matches in with the other 2 I made.

Friday I made the 2 curtains for the bedroom out of the same fabric you saw in the previous photo for the food storage room.

Waiting on a good special for decorator fabric in a wider width to do curtains for the rumpus room too as the vertical curtain cloth blinds are had it in there too. Currently we are just pulling them across as one doesn't have a cord on it and the other works sometimes with pulling the cord if you smile the right way at the beast.

A bit ago I mentioned quite a few sewing projects and I still haven't gotten them done.
I was looking at "blankets" at a few different stores lately, I don't like them. Also don't like thermal blankets, I get cold. Comforters are too heavy and unbendable, I get too hot. Sometimes I'll use a fleecy blanket but most are too small.

What are your favorite blankets and why? (This is leaning towards a quilt vote isn't it?).

It is for me.
I use quilt, or larger than most double fleece blanket that I have sewn together.
When I say double fleece I mean both sides have fleece with batting sandwiched in the middle.
Made just like a quilt only with fleece top and bottom.
My bedroom doesn't have the heat on, get too hot wake up with nose bleeds.
So either quilt or double fleece blankets for me.
Usually quilt though. Something I've made.
Don't normally like store bought, seems cheaply made for some reason.

A bit ago I mentioned quite a few sewing projects and I still haven't gotten them done.
I was looking at "blankets" at a few different stores lately, I don't like them. Also don't like thermal blankets, I get cold. Comforters are too heavy and unbendable, I get too hot. Sometimes I'll use a fleecy blanket but most are too small.

What are your favorite blankets and why? (This is leaning towards a quilt vote isn't it?).
Blankets depend on the season. I have a cotton blanket that I use in the summer.

I have used down comforters and have liked them.

I also have several quilts that I like to use. I like to layer them. They are not super warm, so layers are a way to regulate easily, as with clothing. When I get warm, I can throw one off. When I get cold, I can add what I need.

Fleece comes 60 inches wide. That makes for a blanket 5 feet wide, unless you do something like Mo does, connect two together for added width. Fleece also comes in varying qualities. The expensive stuff is of course, the warmest.

I don't use electric blankets either.
We don't get hot or cold at the same time so there's that too.
Cotton coverlet, cotton blanket...what do you mean?
Fleece. One layer of fleece and I'm good. I like using two blankets in the winter.
I guess a quilt is the way to go. My room is always chilly and for winter I've been using sheet, thermal, and comforter. I get too hot and have a hard time finding that perfect temp and combination of blankets. When I say thermal I mean a cotton woven blanket.

I don't use electric blankets either.
We don't get hot or cold at the same time so there's that too.
Cotton coverlet, cotton blanket...what do you mean?
Fleece. One layer of fleece and I'm good. I like using two blankets in the winter.
I guess a quilt is the way to go. My room is always chilly and for winter I've been using sheet, thermal, and comforter. I get too hot and have a hard time finding that perfect temp and combination of blankets. When I say thermal I mean a cotton woven blanket.
https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...tq54D6kbyCRHjUfPS9PmP9ly-6LNFKH0aAhkmEALw_wcB

This is very similar to my cotton blankets. I use them as bedspreads in the summer, over the sheets. They are not heavy.

wonderful.
My wife is,well was a sewer.
Her high school friends thought she was crazy to make things.
She made shirts for me.
But after children came alone she stopped.
Clothing is often less expensive to buy than to make now, but not always better made.

I had a hard time finding clothing that fit me well when I was a child. I was always tall and thin. If something fit me around, it was way too short. Sleeves and pants were always the worst. My mother sewed all of our clothing when she was alive. After her death, my grandmother couldn't keep up with sewing for 4 children.

I started sewing in 4-H when I was 9 and just kept at it, sewing clothing for myself. First, I made an apron, then a gathered skirt. My first piece made with a pattern was a button up short sleeved shirt to go with a gathered skirt.

For many years, if I wanted or needed something to wear, I made it: dresses, pants, shirts, prom dresses, coats, wool blazers. As life went on, clothing that fit started being available. I am not a giant. I am only 5' 8" tall. But, I always wear tall pants, because I have a 35 inch inseam.

And life got busier with having a family, working too many hours, and other life demands. I still sew. My sewing machine is on my dining room table now and will be there until I host a get-together.

@Patchouli a cotton coverlet is made from cotton fabric on the front and back and has cotton wadding quilted in between rather than polyester which makes you hot. Here is a picture of one for you to look at -

cotton coverlet.jpg

Lovely! @Sewingcreations15
My favorite color too.
When making dd#2's quilt I bought enough cotton batting to make at least one additional single size quilt. Maybe one big enough for queen size. I used a cotton sheet for the backing, the batting, and the quilted front. It is shades of red and pink triangles. I'm very proud of that quilt.

Try one of those on your bed with a blanket on top @Patchouli and then you can just peel off the blanket if you get too hot. The cotton quilts/coverlets breathe a lot better than synthetic fabrics and keep you cooler.
Synthetics are mostly not comfortable for clothing either. Fleece is the exception that works for me.

@Patchouli I was going to say as others have, stick with natural fibers in a weight of fabric that feels comfortable to you. Like @Amish Heart I actually like the weight but hubby doesn't. I've found that synthetic fibers make me sweat but I'm still cold :mad:. Also, they are really no more than glorified plastic which I try to avoid (but yes I do still have some in my wardrobe.)
Also @backlash maybe part of the reason you haven't been able to let go of the machine is because you are meant to use it. Start with mending jeans. If you hammer where the seam is (that bulky bump) to flatten it a bit, it will feed through the machine easier. Then see what's next - a backpack? A duffle bag? RV cushions? Tuck-n-roll seat in a '57 Chevy :D. Hubby sewed his own hunting pack because he had an idea he wanted to try. I set the machine up for him and provided a few tidbits of info, but otherwise he did it all. He's used that pack for 2-3 yrs now.
I finally got to stitch for a little bit today. I finished the top for a doll quilt then cut out a simple top. I used to sew nearly all my own clothes. I couldn't believe how long it took me just to get a simple shell style tank cut out. I don't like that they add spandex to women's clothes including jeans. It's getting more and more difficult to find clothes without it so I'm going back to making my own. I have a not nice name for spandex clothes. (I think spandex in Australia is called elasticon?). Anyhoo, we'll see how long it takes me to get it sewn up :rolleyes:

Yesterday I was able to stay home - woohoo! I mended a fitted sheet for the spare room bed. Sounds menial but they are darling fitted sheets in good condition. It tore a bit on the seem because the mattresses now are larger than in vintage days so stretched it a bit too much putting it on the bed. Glad it was fixable.

@Patchouli a cotton coverlet is made from cotton fabric on the front and back and has cotton wadding quilted in between rather than polyester which makes you hot. Here is a picture of one for you to look at -

View attachment 10511
Very pretty.

I'll soon be trying to make curtains for my van. And walls to lighten it up some .
But it won't be as nice as what you ladies make.

@Meerkat about to make curtains for our back rumpus room too to replace old venetians than don't work anymore. I have the fabric and just need to find time to make them.
Howdy SC15. I have a question for you. You mention your rumpus room- what is that room? Over here, a rumpus room is usually for toddlers to play in. Just curious ~

Latest posts

Back