What are you sewing in and for your home ? .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello everyone and I tend to sew most things for our home rather than purchase them in the stores which are now getting so expensive.

Show us the wonderful things you sew for your homes too.

Today I made a long awaited bread bag for our bread we make in our bread making machine as I couldn't find one that was big enough online to hold our 1.2kg loaves that we make.

The bottom of the bag is squared off and although it is slightly too wide for the loaf of bread it's not too bad for my first attempt :) and it is made out of a cotton pillowcase cut down to size with a tie sewn to the side seam to close it. Next one I will make will be about 5 cm narrower.

I am planning to make this a new line in my internet shop as I noticed they sell very well.

Here is how it turned out -

bread bag 1.JPG

I actually really dislike sewing, but will go through periods where I make things anyway. Last item I made was some simple quilted mug rugs. Was just thinking yesterday that I need to do a few repairs on eBay items that have little flaws that were not noticed when purchasing said item.

In the past, I made some simple clothes and some chicken doorstops made with rice in them. We were made to sew our own clothes growing up and I believe that is why I don't care for it now but every once in a while, I get the bug! I have a fairly simple inexpensive Brother sewing machine so don't do anything heavy duty.

@snappy1 sounds like you are a good sewer but understand that you can suffer overload on sewing too. I sewed for a living in my own business for some years and took a break for a few years but do sell some things I make online now which brings in some handy extra income. While saving for our home I would rather make things if possible than buy them especially if I have the fabric here to do so.

The fabric above came from a single quilt cover set I had in the cupboard for years (intended for a gift but found no-one to give it to) and so far I have made curtains for the toilet, bathroom and now the bread bag and I think I have more offcuts left.

I've sewn just about all the curtains in the house along with the throw pillows. That about it besides the quilt I just finished up. I do have plans on doing more, but right now focus has to be the garden. . . even if it is going to be playing in the mud right now. . . :(.

Nice work on the bread bag BTW. Does it tend to stay fresher in the bag? I know with my bread machine the loaves tend to come out a little stumpier than when I use my loaf pan and bake in the oven. Maybe that size would work for the loaf pan size bread.

Do you ladies have any good recommendations for online fabric? My local Walmart is all I have available at the moment. Ugh

Right now I'm trying to get used to my brand new machine ( up to this point I've been using my 1968 singer) I'm self taught through YouTube so it's alot of trial and error lol.

I'm making some quilt blocks for a swap on another board. I'm woefully late in getting them done. But I'm hoping now that I have a new machine I can get them done by the end of the week.

I don't ever buy online but I know JoAnn's has the option along with deals sometimes. @Sunshine .

This is one of the only things I dislike about living country vs city.

In the city i was just a short train ride to many small fabric and yarn shops.

Here I'm 45 minutes from the nearest chain craft store.

:(

But I soldier on lol. I suppose we will have to plan a trip into town one of these days.

Do you ladies have any good recommendations for online fabric? My local Walmart is all I have available at the moment. Ugh

Right now I'm trying to get used to my brand new machine ( up to this point I've been using my 1968 singer) I'm self taught through YouTube so it's alot of trial and error lol.

I'm making some quilt blocks for a swap on another board. I'm woefully late in getting them done. But I'm hoping now that I have a new machine I can get them done by the end of the week.

You can get nice fabric from connecting threads, zooks/ sauders in Bird in Hand, and there are a lot of good sellers on ebay. If you are on facebook join quilters stash for sale, ladies are always posting there extra fabric on there. Also check craigslist

In the last year, I have been helping my daughter with her new town home. She figured out that she could buy the longest curtains for much less than the length she really needed, because the length she really needed is the most common and we would probably be the only people who would do this. She had three rooms worth. We shortened them and then lined them. I covered some pillows for her living room.

In years gone by, I made all of my own window coverings--some simple cottons ones for the kitchen windows, some more detailed and some quilted ones that were strung with cord through plastic rings to lift up. (can't think of what they are called now) For the kitchen, I made appliance covers that match the curtains. I have made quilted bedroom accessories with the log cabin quilt design including quilt, pillow covers, table cover. I have made other quilts as well, but not as detailed as the log cabin set. I have also made table cloths for my dining room table.

I'm in need of making covers for the countertop appliances. Finally got the fabric, so that's a start! lol

DH and I will need to get a different bed (for his health), and it comes in king size. Our current bed is queen size, so that means all new bedding, too. I don't mind, actually, because it will give me an excuse to repurpose the fabric from the queen size duvets and make window treatments. I just love the fabric/pattern, and haven't been able to find anything off a bolt that I like nearly as much.

@Weedygarden that is clever to get the longer curtains for a cheaper price and use the excess fabric for pillow covers. I love the sound of your quilts you made and the log cabin set would have taken ages to make but I imagine would be beautiful :) . I also have made a lot of pillow covers, table and entertainment unit runners, tablecloths, table placemat sets and all our curtains in the home we are in currently.

@goshengirl I love to repurpose fabrics too and making curtains and window treatments out of quilt covers and sheets is usually so much more economical than buying the fabrics here anyway. It is amazing the fabric that is in a duvet cover and how many things you can make out of it, even a single one.

You will have to put in some pictures of the appliance covers when you finish them as I would love to see them :) .

I'm working on this year's Christmas gifts.
I don't buy gifts. I make things that are unique.
Right now working on embroidery birth announcements,wedding announcements,mug rugs,place mats etc.
Each family has a consistent theme.
One niece like wine and coffee so she gets coffee cup mug rugs, place mats for the kitchen.
Dining room table has napkins with embroidery napkins with wine glasses etc.
table runner with wine bottle and grapes around the edges.
Personal gifts.
Another niece is having a baby in April, so she's getting baby quilt, bumper pads for crib and curtains.
Stepsons are getting tv quilts.
And the list goes on, on and on.
I am using up my fabric stash.
Started with 25-18 gallon totes down to 1-18 gallon tote,2 metal jelly cabinets,1 hanging file cabinet(hung fabric over file folder hangers).
When I do buy fabric I buy from Missouri Star Quilt Co. They are just up the road from me about an hour and half away.

It sure does. I do alot of dried food gifts. Recently finished taco seasoning jars and Mocha cappuccino mixes. I put them in cute jars, tag them nicely. I buy baskets at discount, so I give alot of gift baskets with homemade items in them. I bought material to make potholders but haven't gotten to them. Work has been constant lately. I feel like I come home just to sleep. We'll see what today brings

Back