What are your energy costs?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootsie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Someone on another forum asked how much it costs to run a dehydrator, so I pulled out a couple of electric bills to get an idea. General info says 10 cents an hour, but I was curious.
Didn’t realize how much more the rates went up. In March, kWh was .06598 and in April .08149. Next month was announced to be 10% more.
i had blamed the $30 increase on drying potatoes, but not entirely true.
So, if your electric comparable? With various charges and fees, 676 kWh cost $108. Is NY higher than your area, or about the same?
I’m starting to think cost of living might not be manageable without some changes.

Didn’t realize how much more the rates went up. In March, kWh was .06598 and in April .08149. Next month was announced to be 10% more.
i had blamed the $30 increase on drying potatoes, but not entirely true.
So, if your electric comparable? With various charges and fees, 676 kWh cost $108. Is NY higher than your area, or about the same?
I’m starting to think cost of living might not be manageable without some changes.
The 5-digit rate numbers must be the numbers on the bill before the added taxes and fees, and are not of much use other than to show how little of your money actually makes it to the power company.
With various charges and fees, 676 kWh cost $108 = .1597 $/kWh.
If you don't calculate the total cost, it doesn't mean much.
The good news is, if you only use 676 kWh in a month, you are doing good! :thumbs:
We use a lot of electricity because we are either heating or A/Cing with it, and everything is electric.
A 3-month snapshot for us:

Month...Usage (KWH)....Cost....Rate ($/KWH)
February: 3,128 .........$302 .... .0965
March: ....2,219 .........$217 .... .0977
April: .......1,797 .........$176 .... .0979
These total cost numbers include all taxes and fees.

Last edited:
The 5-digit rate numbers must be the numbers on the bill before the added taxes and fees, and are not of much use other than to show how little of your money actually makes it to the power company.
With various charges and fees, 676 kWh cost $108 = .1597 $/kWh.
If you don't calculate the total cost, it doesn't mean much.
The good news is, if you only use 676 kWh in a month, you are doing good! :thumbs:
We use a lot of electricity because we are either heating or A/Cing with it, and everything is electric.
A 3-month snapshot for us:

Month...Usage (KWH)....Cost....Rate ($/KWH)
February: 3,128 .........$302 .... .0965
March: ....2,219 .........$217 .... .0977
April: .......1,797 .........$176 .... .0979
These total cost numbers include all taxes and fees.
WOW! Your month of February is about 1000kWh less then my whole year. Summer months are the worst for me. Last August I used 626kWh. My cost is 0.1799. My costs don't include heat--we use heating oil.

WOW! Your month of February is about 1000kWh less then my whole year. Summer months are the worst for me. Last August I used 626kWh. My cost is 0.1799. My costs don't include heat--we use heating oil.
When we were up the mountain, I had our power usage down to 5-12 kwh/day depending upon time of year. For the middle of Feb to middle of Mar (that's how our billing falls) our usage was 2851 kwh which was down significantly from the two previous months. Jan-Mar are our highest energy usage. Everything!!! here is electric (we are renting at the moment so don't have much say) and not energy efficient. Heat/air is the main culprit. It is maddening. When we moved in, one of the first things I said was it looked like they were trying to use as much electric as they could. Even the newly installed light switches in the bathroom have the little green lights. Isn't that called phantom usage? As far as price, the first 600 kwh are .07576 / kwh and over that it's .10498/kwh. There there are a couple credits for the moment.

Billing details - Electric Billing Period - Mar 03 to Apr 01
Meter -redacted
Duke Energy Delivery Service Delivery Distribution-Customer Charge $6.00
Distribution-Energy Charge 901.323 kWh @ $0.03148200 28.38
Delivery Riders 22.18
Generation Riders 0.32
Total Current Charges $56.88

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 10.17.20 PM.png

Our heat, Hot water and Dryer are Gas.:

Billing Period - Mar 03 to Apr 01
Meter - redacted
Duke Energy Delivery Service Delivery Fixed Delivery Service Charge $33.03
Usage-Based Charge 45.000 CCF @ $0.03272800 1.47
Gas Delivery Riders 9.56
Applicable Surcharge 45.000 CCF @ $-0.00377778 -0.17
Total Delivery Charges $43.89
Constellation NewEnergy Gas Supplier Energy Charge 45.000 CCF @ $0.39600000 17.82
Total Current Charges $61.71

Last edited:
Our power bill is around $150 in the winter and $200 in the summer. 8.23¢ per kWh
If you really want to know how much it cost to run a device I can recommend getting a Kill a watt meter. $35 for one that you can program in the cost per kw.
I have this one.
P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor
41htdrTnnML._AC_.jpg

We are seeing our energy usage swing between a low of 1150 kWh in November and a high of 2350 kWh in September with a rate of $0.132/kWh. So power bills run from $152 to $311. We have an electric stove and have an oxygen compressor running 24/7. Due to her health, the wife cannot tolerate much of a temperature swing, so it is either too hot or too cold and I have terrible allergies so unless the temperature is just right and it's raining, the HVAC is running....

The grow lights at my growing station draw 404kWh per month, but they are being powered by my little standby solar power station, so I am getting a $50 return per month on my solar array.

I am also a big believers in the kill-a-watt type of devices. They helped me figure out all my sizing limitations for all my equipment needs.

Latest posts

Back