What are your opinions on this loss of life?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its unfortunate..they were young. I hope the other two learn from this.
The 16 y/o that was trapped in the backseat and burned to death, certainly did :(.
However, officers were unable to get to the person inside the backseat and that passenger died at the scene. Officials confirmed she was 16 years old.
The big question remains: why was the 18 y/o not driving instead of the 14 y/o?
Natural selection at work; do stupid things, win stupid prizes.:rolleyes:

The article said "young kids do unwise things". I don't consider stealing a car to be a simple "unwise thing", I consider it much more serious than that. When you are already stealing cars in your early teens, well, you just don't have much of a life ahead of you. It will no doubt be cut short sooner rather than later.

While I do not celebrate their crash and resulting death, neither do I mourn it. The law does not punish anti-social behavior like this any more, but apparently nature still does. The surviving car thieves and their families will now probably sue the car manufacturer for not including a giant yellow sticker on the dash that said, "Warning! Do not steal this car and crash it. You may be injured."

Yes..well..I'm kinda surprised me n my friends survived all the crazy stuff we did as kids.
One of my friends younger brother did the same thing..tried to outrun a cop n flew off a clif killed his friend and gf. Then a few years later ..drunk n high drove off a road smacked a tree n killed two more of his friends.
Got 30 years in prison for that one..rightly so.
People do stupid stuff..its better when they pay the price personally if things go south. Unfortunately, that seems not the case often.

I survived my teenage years. Some of my friends didn't. Perhaps the years have made me callous but I have no strong feelings about this incident. I'll save my emotions for those I care about. I've felt bad about losing members here but some random teen winning stupid prizes...

But, does anyone fault the parents? Seems, this lack of teaching responsibility really comes into play. Maybe this is the parents "sacrificial lamb" in order to sue the LAPD to live like millionaires?
Well, as a very small tot, I learned right from wrong , good from bad. That, and many other lessons one should learn from their parents.

Lawsuit lamb, I would not disagree, but the the raising of kids is a FAMILY thing, not a school, not a village. The PARENTS FAILED COMPLETELY, and should be held liable, not allowed to sue, but incarcerated.

Tragic..
Police chose not to chase.. Shortly after they crashed ..seemingly on there own... It is possible there were other circumstances, chemicals or the like involved with this.. But we will likely never know..
== ==
Years ago we had neighbors who lost a teen son in an avoidable car crash.. Someone in the car popped open an air gun CO2 container.. This partial lack of oxygen supposedly giving a feeling of being ..buzzed.. of some kind.. Colder weather with windows up, everyone in the car passed out and all perished in the crash..

I feel sorry for the families who lost a loved one. That is tragic. I have nothing but contempt for the driver. SHE STOLE A CAR!! That by itself is a felony. She should be charged as an adult with Grand Theft and Involuntary Manslaughter. There have to be consequences to bad behavior. "She did a stupid thing." is a lame excuse. This isn't just stupid. It is criminal. The consequences should be severe. She took a life!

I feel sorry for the families who lost a loved one. That is tragic. I have nothing but contempt for the driver. SHE STOLE A CAR!! That by itself is a felony. She should be charged as an adult with Grand Theft and Involuntary Manslaughter. There have to be consequences to bad behavior. "She did a stupid thing." is a lame excuse. This isn't just stupid. It is criminal. The consequences should be severe. She took a life!
Ah, you forget this is Kalifornia, she probably got out on 'no cash bail' and only faces a misdemeanor charge of driving without a license. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ah, you forget this is Kalifornia, she probably got out on 'no cash bail' and only faces a misdemeanor charge of driving without a license. :rolleyes:

Exactly. And that is the biggest part of the problem, not to mention some incredibly bad parenting. A fourteen year old who is stealing a car?? Something tells me this is not her first encounter with breaking the law. Never any consequences for any of the bad behavior, and people are surprised when it escalates?

She should be locked up to protect society from a menace.

At the risk of ..offending.. or being a ..SOB... of one kind or another by many of the criteria that seem popular today... I do have this concern..

There seems no mention of the ethnicity of the driver, injured and dead in this incident.. And it shouldn't matter... However.. Like said this is ...Kali-comie-fornia... and it seems they treat some groups differently than others.. A very many times at the expense of other groups and especially the tax payers...

More facts, details, experience, thoughts, opinions ??

I have nothing but contempt for the driver. SHE STOLE A CAR!!

All three of them stole the car, assuming they all got inside at the same time it was stolen. The driver was just the driver. My guess is that the 14 year old was specifically chosen by the others to be the driver, since at 14 years old there would probably be no legal consequences for someone that young. Kind of like how the gangs use young kids to deliver their drugs.

The world cannot support all the people we have now. But it is very difficult for good people to pick and choose who gets to live and who gets to die. So we just don't do that picking and we let the world overpopulate itself. That is the only ethical and moral way for good people to handle it (paradoxically, by not handling it and allowing things to get worse). However, if Darwin does the picking for us, society as a whole is served and we don't have to feel guilty. So let Darwin be Darwin. Stupid people have stupid babies, who play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Darwin is the patron saint of the stupid. That's just the way life is.

All three of them stole the car, assuming they all got inside at the same time it was stolen.

Then all of them should be charged with the crime and held accountable. Being stupid is not an excuse to break the law.

All three of them stole the car, assuming they all got inside at the same time it was stolen. The driver was just the driver. My guess is that the 14 year old was specifically chosen by the others to be the driver, since at 14 years old there would probably be no legal consequences for someone that young. Kind of like how the gangs use young kids to deliver their drugs.

The world cannot support all the people we have now. But it is very difficult for good people to pick and choose who gets to live and who gets to die. So we just don't do that picking and we let the world overpopulate itself. That is the only ethical and moral way for good people to handle it (paradoxically, by not handling it and allowing things to get worse). However, if Darwin does the picking for us, society as a whole is served and we don't have to feel guilty. So let Darwin be Darwin. Stupid people have stupid babies, who play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Darwin is the patron saint of the stupid. That's just the way life is.
The 18 year old is an adult. As such he can be held responsible for a minor committing a crime. In some jurisdictions it is called Corruption of a Minor. A minor committing a crime in his presence is in itself a crime. Under certain circumstances Corruption of a Minor can be a felony. Is car theft a felony? If it is then the fact that someone died the commission of a felony makes the death murder. The 18 year old can go to the big house for many years. The 14 year old can go to jail until she turns 18. In some jurisdictions a 14 year old can be tried as an adult, in which case she will get her high school diploma behind bars and potentially a few college classes as well. "Aaannd what other Stupid Prizes do we have for our contestant today?"

But, does anyone fault the parents? Seems, this lack of teaching responsibility really comes into play. Maybe this is the parents "sacrificial lamb" in order to sue the LAPD to live like millionaires?
Yes- but no. All individuals most be held accountable to their own actions. Each action is categorically different. The parents failed yes, and so did greater society at a whole- but the final line is always crossed the the involved individuals and they get the ultimate blame and resulting consequense.

This happened at 12:15AM on a Tuesday. What parents allow their 14 and 16 year old daughters to be out on a school night that late?! Yeah, ok, it was February break. That's no excuse: you don't let your young kids stay out that late ever.

Ok I am about to alienate everybody

Every one involved in this is at fault

Parents neglected the kids
Kid stole a car
Ride a a long crime partners are equally guilty
And the cops for not calling off the chase
And endangering the lives of innocents

Everybody was wrong 😑

Latest posts

Back