What are your pet peeves?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothin wrong with grannies bustin a little ones ass when its needed. I still recall mine stripping the leaves from a forsythia switch she cut and wearing me out. I minded after that.

BacP sometimes thats the only thing that works. I seldom had to whip my kids because they knew I would and I used a switch not my hands. I didn't tell them something 3 or 4 times. They turned out to be good independent adults.

I still use "the look". Stops em dead in their tracks. They've seen my old ninja gear.

Amish we moved to Florida because we couldn't find affordable land in rural Georgia. We wanted to raise guard donkeys and named our place Sassy Ass Acres after my donk Rosie . But hubby got hurt and we had to give them away.
We had all those grandkids in Georgia so we kept them all summer, Christmas and Spring breaks they chose to come here. Plus we visited them at times.
We were in the Waffle House with 7 of them and people complimented what nice kids they were. Even the 4 year old. The 4 in Texas visited but didn't stay. Parents had jobs so kids didn't want to be in nurseries or stay home. Hubby worked but off weekends and vacations.
We taught them all kinds of things. Had them , snow skiing in the mountains, in ball, roller skating, lots of fishing and beach trips. With that many kids you have to have to run a tight ship. They helped us do clearing, gardening and preparing meals.

Not the same I know but BacP you will always have her in your heart. She was lucky to have such a loving grandson too.

Thanks Meer. I know she knew how much she and Papaw meant to me. I spent a lot of time with them growing up. Helped Papaw out with his farm, he taught me a lot of the old ways of doing stuff. I'm the only one I knew growing up that knew how to put up hay that wasn't baled. LOL. They are also guilty of my love of the mountains. We always took trips to the smokies several times a year. After I got married the wife and I were able to take them on some trips. I think of them every day.

Wife and I were at the Grand Canyon camping when she was admitted to the hospital. By the time we got back home she was in a coma (bad cancer that no one knew about). I got to spend maybe 2 hours with her before she passed. We buried her on my birthday.

Thanks Meer. I know she knew how much she and Papaw meant to me. I spent a lot of time with them growing up. Helped Papaw out with his farm, he taught me a lot of the old ways of doing stuff. I'm the only one I knew growing up that knew how to put up hay that wasn't baled. LOL. They are also guilty of my love of the mountains. We always took trips to the smokies several times a year. After I got married the wife and I were able to take them on some trips. I think of them every day.

Wife and I were at the Grand Canyon camping when she was admitted to the hospital. By the time we got back home she was in a coma (bad cancer that no one knew about). I got to spend maybe 2 hours with her before she passed. We buried her on my birthday.

:huggs:what a sweet story. A little sad too but sweet.

not being respectful of your elders.

Elders not demanding respect. Of course that too can be an impossible task with some of todays youth.
I see people begging their kids to behave and it peeves me off.
Who said you have to explain everything to a kid, they don't care about why they just want their way. Mama just said no and if I wanted to know why I couldn't get my way she ' explained ' it with a tree limb. Which she very seldom had to do.

not being respectful of your elders.
I understand this, but in my life, I had a couple elders who never really earned respect. They were mean, unkind and unpleasant when I was a young child. There was no love there, just demands and verbal abuse. Because my older brother didn't do well in school, and he was the golden child, they did their best to make sure I couldn't do homework or anything that was for me. As we got older, an uncle told me I should help her get in and out of the car. Right. I was not a bad person or a bad child. I was the family servant from the age of six. There were 3 other children who could have helped. Nope. When I could, I left home and stayed away.

I understand this, but in my life, I had a couple elders who never really earned respect. They were mean, unkind and unpleasant when I was a young child. There was no love there, just demands and verbal abuse. Because my older brother didn't do well in school, and he was the golden child, they did their best to make sure I couldn't do homework or anything that was for me. As we got older, an uncle told me I should help her get in and out of the car. Right. I was not a bad person or a bad child. I was the family servant from the age of six. There were 3 other children who could have helped. Nope. When I could, I left home and stayed away.

Weedy that doesn't sound good at all. Sorry you had such a bad childhood and I don't blame you for not having any more respect or feelings for them than you received from them.
All parents are not meant to be parents. My kids are all huggers because I am a hugger and gave them lots of attention too. But also tried to raise them to have self respect and know the world doesn't care about their feelings or problems. They have to be self sufficient.
But to be abusive and unfair is not being a good parent either.
Like I have said before I had at least 4 grands here all summer for first 8 years we were here plus school vacations etc.. I wanted to know them and them know us.
They chose to come rather than stay inside while their parents worked or in a nursery. Plus we did fun things with them. But also I had to be firm. Two of them never got a whipping at all the the other 4 only got one or two. Reason the hard headed ones only got a couple was because they knew I would if they pushed it.

From discussing things with you online for past several years on this and the other forum we got thrown off of you seemed to overcome all of it and be a lady of character. You don't go with the flow but speak out for what is right. Just my opinion.

:huggs:

Weedy that doesn't sound good at all. Sorry you had such a bad childhood and I don't blame you for not having any more respect or feelings for them than you received from them.
All parents are not meant to be parents. My kids are all huggers because I am a hugger and gave them lots of attention too. But also tried to raise them to have self respect and know the world doesn't care about their feelings or problems. They have to be self sufficient.
But to be abusive and unfair is not being a good parent either.
Like I have said before I had at least 4 grands here all summer for first 8 years we were here plus school vacations etc.. I wanted to know them and them know us.
They chose to come rather than stay inside while their parents worked or in a nursery. Plus we did fun things with them. But also I had to be firm. Two of them never got a whipping at all the the other 4 only got one or two. Reason the hard headed ones only got a couple was because they knew I would if they pushed it.

From discussing things with you online for past several years on this and the other forum we got thrown off of you seemed to overcome all of it and be a lady of character. You don't go with the flow but speak out for what is right. Just my opinion.

:huggs:
It wasn't good. I tried, but it was what it was. I could write volumes, but I won't.

But going back to respecting elders. Have they earned respect? In the groups that I belong to for adult children of narcissists, a common thing is that the nasty parents, mothers mostly, want to quote the bible, saying, "Honor your parents" after they have stolen from their daughters, lied about them, set them up to be sexually abused, turned everyone else against them. I am a believer, but I really believe it is a two way street. If a child was argumentative, rebellious, deceitful, that would be a different story. There have been and are some really sick women (mothers) and I have heard incredible stories of the abuse that people received from their mothers.

BTW, I respect elders who have earned it. My other grandmother was a gentle soul, and I have incredible respect for her and the way she lived life. I have known other people who are nasty, unkind, narcissistic, controlling, overbearing. I have no respect for them and the way they treat others. I will go out of my way to stay away from this type of person.

It wasn't good. I tried, but it was what it was. I could write volumes, but I won't.

But going back to respecting elders. Have they earned respect? In the groups that I belong to for adult children of narcissists, a common thing is that the nasty parents, mothers mostly, want to quote the bible, saying, "Honor your parents" after they have stolen from their daughters, lied about them, set them up to be sexually abused, turned everyone else against them. I am a believer, but I really believe it is a two way street. If a child was argumentative, rebellious, deceitful, that would be a different story. There have been and are some really sick women (mothers) and I have heard incredible stories of the abuse that people received from their mothers.

BTW, I respect elders who have earned it. My other grandmother was a gentle soul, and I have incredible respect for her and the way she lived life. I have known other people who are nasty, unkind, narcissistic, controlling, overbearing. I have no respect for them and the way they treat others. I will go out of my way to stay away from this type of person.

If I remember correctly the Bible also says ' parents don't push too hard on your child ' paraquote. I'll have to see if I can find it.

rean Study Bible

Eph. 6:4. Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger; instead, bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

https://biblehub.com/ephesians/6-4.htm

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the Bible also says ' parents don't push too hard on your child ' paraquote. I'll have to see if I can find it.

rean Study Bible

Eph. 6:4. Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger; instead, bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

https://biblehub.com/ephesians/6-4.htm
I have looked for a scripture that said this and never did find it. Thank you.

Meer, you sound a lot like my grands on my moms side. They were awesome folks. My papaw was the most humble man I've ever known. But he'd tear your butt up when you deserved it. Mamaw, same way. But having spent so much time with them they taught me so much. Everything from bible study to milking cattle. We also traveled some, although mostly just in the local mountains. They even wanted to adopt me when my mom and dad split up when I was 2. I spent a lot of time with them up till my teen years and some then. I wouldn't trade it for millions today.

Weedy, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that. I've known folks like that, but none in my family. I admire how well you've turned out growing up that way.

Meer, you sound a lot like my grands on my moms side. They were awesome folks. My papaw was the most humble man I've ever known. But he'd tear your butt up when you deserved it. Mamaw, same way. But having spent so much time with them they taught me so much. Everything from bible study to milking cattle. We also traveled some, although mostly just in the local mountains. They even wanted to adopt me when my mom and dad split up when I was 2. I spent a lot of time with them up till my teen years and some then. I wouldn't trade it for millions today.

Weedy, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that. I've known folks like that, but none in my family. I admire how well you've turned out growing up that way.

Thanks BacP I'll take that as a compliment. Sounds like you were blessed for sure to have them for grand parents.

Similar upbringing to yourself @Weedygarden but we both have survived, thrived and made us tougher :D . I do agree that people earn respect too and that should be on a case to case basis.

My father was an alcoholic and psychologically abusive and my mother had psychiatric issues. Father (I don't consider as such as he never acted like it) played mind game warfare with me where nothing I did was right with sayings calling me "the boy he never had" (he is a converted Muslim) and "I never did anything the conventional way" and I was "a wild brumby that needed taming" my mother (not considered a mother to me either) biting us, chasing us with brooms and much more abuse. I told them from about the age of 7 that I was fortunate that I never considered myself to be "genetically linked to them". I still do not have any respect for either of them and never will because they didn't earn it with the way they treated me.

I was mostly brought up on school holidays by my grandmother who was a gentle soul who always encouraged, taught and loved me and was also independent like me, and was viewed to not do anything the conventional way. She opened up/managed and ran the first ballet and dance studio that was in Brisbane during the early war years. Which is probably why we got on so well together. I had and have the greatest respect for her and still do now that she has passed.

Last edited:
I've lost the remote for my dvd player again! AUUGGHH! It really not that bad... my dvd player is a Sony, my tv is a Sony... the tv remote has function keys for the dvd player... However, it's missing a few function keys the dvd remote has that are nice...

I've spent the last 3 hours looking for the lost remote! I'm pretty sure my recliner ate the remote, I fell asleep in it last night (common occurrence) while watching a dvd. I just can't get to all the nooks and crannies in the recliner! :mad:

Pyramid roofs where you have to limbo through all the roof joists to clean it. Oh and hard wooden beams that bruise your watootsie as you have to sit on the narrow beams and scoot like that to get to the next panel to clean it whilst trying not to knock your head off on the above beam.

Pet Peeves. Dealing with insurance companies. I'll find out how good my house insurance agent treats me. Sometime last night a tree decided to redesign my shop roof .

IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2376.JPG IMG_2377.JPG

Pet Peeves. Dealing with insurance companies. I'll find out how good my house insurance agent treats me. Sometime last night a tree decided to redesign my shop roof .

View attachment 11055 View attachment 11056 View attachment 11057
Oh, oh. I hope the damage wasn't too bad. We just had a bunch of that in the last couple weeks in Colorado. Fortunately, I just lost the top of two trees, a now dwarfed peach and a silver maple. Silver maples seem to be problematic trees.

Yep, insurance companies are quick to collect our payments but not so happy to have to pay out.

Oh, oh. I hope the damage wasn't too bad. We just had a bunch of that in the last couple weeks in Colorado. Fortunately, I just lost the top of two trees, a now dwarfed peach and a silver maple. Silver maples seem to be problematic trees.

Yep, insurance companies are quick to collect our payments but not so happy to have to pay out.

Insurance has always been a ripoff ,its just more often now.

Back