What are your pet peeves?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just filed a claim for damage to our camper. It's actually totalled and the insurance has denied the claim stating they can't pinpoint when it happened since we hadn't been in it since last fall until this spring. We never got in it in between uses. Not sure of anyone who does.
Start the appeal process, file a complaint with the State agency that is over insurance companies, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Make it easier for them to pay you off.

@The Lazy L I hope they pay out quickly on the workshop roof and repair it but I know things are a long process with any insurance company.

@Bacpacker I would appeal it too and the more noise you make the more likely they will pay out.

I bought a new car that was a lemon years ago and wrote the company a nice letter telling them I was about to appear on A Current Affair and that I was aware that 2000 other vehicles had the wrong head gasket in it too from the assembly line. I pointed out that I had been in contact with other affected buyers of the faulty vehicles and we were all considering a class action law suit against them. In the meantime I put the car again into the local car dealership to have it again looked at because it wouldn't even go up a hill. The smart mouthed head of the service dept told me to take it up with my roadside assist club for the warranty. I said fine I will take it up on air and tell all the other 2000 car owners who own this faulty heap that you put the wrong head gasket in on the assembly line and we will see our lawyers which would not give Ford a very good look at all. I also said I would dismantle the heap of you know what across their service bay entry to block access as they never gave service to anyone anyway. Being an ex licenced motor dealer and wrecking yard owner I am very apt at disassembling anything I told him.

Funny about a couple of days after sending the letter to the head guy of Ford I get a phone call saying he was flying up from Melbourne to present a brand new vehicle to me with air-conditioning which he duly swapped my lemon for. Making lots of noise puts them in a position where they have to do something about it.

Having a physical issue makes shopping for certain items a pain, like my big brown ugly recliner. Oh, I found my remote today… this chair has a hidden spot where things like my remote, a pocket knife and some change can fall into… BUT only when the chair is fully reclined.

I have a leg issue, (trampled by a bull). I need an oversized recliner where the weight of my foot and ankle is on the foot rest… not hanging over the edge with the pressure on my calf muscle and knee.

Over sized recliners used to be common. Two years ago when I needed a new one… I sat in every chair in the big town, no go, I shopped for 2 days! The only oversized chair I could find was this big brown ugly thing! Most annoying!

Even worse it's motorized. I lose electricity about once a month... several times the power has gone off when I'm fully reclined in the chair... I CAN'T get out of the chair! Once I knocked over a small book case trying to get out of the chair. :mad:

Pet Peeves. Dealing with insurance companies. I'll find out how good my house insurance agent treats me. Sometime last night a tree decided to redesign my shop roof .

Update:

Called my Insurance Agent and was greeted by the automated menu greeting. About four layers into the greeting I gave up and pressed "0" and an operator answered. Told her I might want to file a house claim and I was transferred to Jennifer. Explained to Jennifer a tree hit my shop roof, some structural, mostly metal damage with a 12" x 8" hole in the roof. I'm guessing $500 to $1000 to repair (I have $500 deductible). Does the Insurance Company want to take a look before I remove the tree? No. Because roof damage is involved they prefer to expedite. I should get a estimate for repair and then make my decision to file a claim or not.

I then called the Contractor that built my shop (pole building). I asked for an estimates on repairs and for a 20' x 30' x 12' (interior height) roof only addition (for storing a Class B+ if I buy one).

Tonight when I get home from work I'll fire up the chainsaw to clear the tree off the shop roof.

Having a physical issue makes shopping for certain items a pain, like my big brown ugly recliner. Oh, I found my remote today… this chair has a hidden spot where things like my remote, a pocket knife and some change can fall into… BUT only when the chair is fully reclined.

I have a leg issue, (trampled by a bull). I need an oversized recliner where the weight of my foot and ankle is on the foot rest… not hanging over the edge with the pressure on my calf muscle and knee.

Over sized recliners used to be common. Two years ago when I needed a new one… I sat in every chair in the big town, no go, I shopped for 2 days! The only oversized chair I could find was this big brown ugly thing! Most annoying!

Even worse it's motorized. I lose electricity about once a month... several times the power has gone off when I'm fully reclined in the chair... I CAN'T get out of the chair! Once I knocked over a small book case trying to get out of the chair. :mad:
It may not fit right in your space, but the couch configurations have a chaise that can be at one end. I wonder if that would work for you?

Me? I cannot stand recliners. I have a couch that has them on both ends that I never use. The couch was a freebie from friends who sold their home and left the state. But I do put my feet up on a foot rest.

A pet peeve of mine is when people ask questions about things that they haven't even thought about. Helplessness is a game that some people play. I find it to be a way of expecting others to do the work for you. I don't see it here, thank you! But I do see it in other groups. If it is a subject that has been researched and a person really hasn't figured it out, then asking is no problem. Isn't that really what sites like this are about?

Nosy people! I am at a house/dog sitting job and have been here since early Sunday morning. Both dogs are rescues from New Mexico from reservations. Walking them can be a challenge. Sometimes I take them together, but I mostly take each one separately. They both go a little crazy when we encounter other dogs. The neighbors know these dogs, so when they are walking their dogs and see me, they want to talk. Actually, they want to quiz me and ask nosy questions. I see people out walking their dogs and I go the other way, so my two don't go crazy. I was cornered by the next door neighbor yesterday, asking about my daughter, where she lived, with whom, about my car, on and on. I realize that she is more aware of things in my life than I have a clue about how she found out. Yuck! She needs a life, and it is not mine!

A recent one for me. Movie sound effects. Why do they always seem to:
- Use a 1970's UH-1 Huey sound for all helicopters?
- Have the sound for a car constantly shifting although they just driving down the road at a constant speed?
- Use incorrect and/or incorrectly timed sound effects for guns?

- Have the sound for a car constantly shifting although they just driving down the road at a constant speed?

Agreed!

I read a few months back that most sound tracks used in movies and TV of people laughing are from the 1950's. Many/most of the people laughing are certainly now all deceased.

Or the rear tires squealing with smoke...on a front wheel drive car.

Movies tend to be darker now than in the past. Even our 1940's movies were clearer than todays movies.

I have this 1938 classic true story of Johann Strauss and it is clearer than todays movies.

Just watched this one last week,like most not clear at all,

Movies tend to be darker now than in the past. Even our 1940's movies were clearer than todays movies.

I have this 1938 classic true story of Johann Strauss and it is clearer than todays movies.

Just watched this one last week,like most not clear at all,

This is true. I looked through the Netflix shows last night and decided I didn't want to watch something too dark. It seems that dark and scary is all the thing in movies now.

This is true. I looked through the Netflix shows last night and decided I didn't want to watch something too dark. It seems that dark and scary is all the thing in movies now.

It blurs or hides too much facial expression and like you say action. The sound is not all that great either.
It is like they are delibertly doing all they can to get on our nerves or agitate us .:ghostly:

Yep, everything is going dark and evil. I used to say 'they make the movies people want to watch'. But now I think they make the movies they want to expose us to.

People who help them selves to my canning jars, dehydrator when they helped or hindered depending on your point of view.
And now when I need these items, they don't know where anything is.

Takers versus givers. Takers always know where stuff is that they want. If someone borrows something and then has no idea where it is to return it, they are takers and users. Their time in my life is not long.

Last edited:
I have many, too many to list because my wrists would give out from typing long before I finished. Some of the long standing ones will have to do.

Rah-Rah boys {salesmen}, that think they know better than I do what I need. Like I just sit around dithering with indecision, & a handful of money, and waiting for someone to tell me what to spend it on.

On a more personal level... Anyone that uses my carbon steel, wooden handle, kitchen knives, and then puts them in a sink of soapy water, instead of rinsing them off, & wiping them down, & putting them back where they belong.

Most of mine involve people, lack of accountability, & ignorance. Much the same as the rest of us I'd guess.

Latest posts

Back