What Avatars say

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used other childhood photos on other sites as well. Someone asked if I had a more recent photo? LOL! Well, I have recently considered using a photo from first grade here. I think I was about 3 in this photo. Would you recognize me if you saw me now? Finding a good photo of a weedy garden that would look good as an avatar has not happened yet.

I always loved your avatar. It does fit your name, in a way. I see a grumpy, defiant child saying, "I ain't gonna weed that garden, no matter how many paddlings I get!"

My avatar declares exactly what I did: turned my back on civilization and made the wilderness my home. That was over 20 years ago, so by now I have gone completely feral!!!

I always loved your avatar. It does fit your name, in a way. I see a grumpy, defiant child saying, "I ain't gonna weed that garden, no matter how many paddlings I get!"

My avatar declares exactly what I did: turned my back on civilization and made the wilderness my home. That was over 20 years ago, so by now I have gone completely feral!!!
There are a few photos of me as a child making faces and being grumpy. I had a couple of mean brothers who seemed to have a mission of hurting me, at a very young age. My sister joined them as well. Horrible to treat your siblings that way. It involved me getting hurt many times, including broken bones and almost drowning once. Sibling rivalry at its finest!

Also, I am probably looking into the sun in the photo.

How about this photo for my avatar? When my aunt died last year, my cousins, her children, sent me a box of stuff for family history and this was in it. I don't think I have a copy in better shape than this one. My mother made this dress for me.

Rita, grade 1.jpeg

There are a few photos of me as a child making faces and being grumpy. I had a couple of mean brothers who seemed to have a mission of hurting me, at a very young age. My sister joined them as well. Horrible to treat your siblings that way. It involved me getting hurt many times, including broken bones and almost drowning once. Sibling rivalry at its finest!

How about this photo for my avatar? When my aunt died last year, my cousins, her children, sent me a box of stuff for family history and this was in it. I don't think I have a copy in better shape than this one. My mother made this dress for me.

View attachment 26356

Might need to change user name to Goldilox...

Jim

View attachment 26356

Look likeasweet intellegent child Weedy.

View attachment 26356

Awwwe, this story makes me want to go back in time and teach those terrible siblings a lesson they would never forget. (Hint: my mother's uncle had a swimming pool fulla "pet" gators, which scared the crap out of everyone, back in the day.) It would have certainly changed your little monsters into angelic, well-behaved children.

View attachment 26356

My photoshop skills aren't that great, but this was a 5 minute fix up of your pic, should be good enough for an avatar if you wanted to use it. :) Especially since you have to shrink it down.

Rita, grade 1.jpeg

My photoshop skills aren't that great, but this was a 5 minute fix up of your pic, should be good enough for an avatar if you wanted to use it. :) Especially since you have to shrink it down.

View attachment 26367

Excellent work. I have it on my PC, and it is one difficult program to figure out.

View attachment 26367
I was going to do the same thing but giving my 13 year old pc a break today. Great job!

Last edited:

View attachment 26356

Love that Pic Weedy. You smile reminds me so much of my niece when she was around that age.

Mine is just one I found on the web. Reminds me of someone that would have lived in the area in the 1800's. Old farmer guy.

Love that Pic Weedy. You smile reminds me so much of my niece when she was around that age.

Mine is just one I found on the web. Reminds me of someone that would have lived in the area in the 1800's. Old farmer guy.

Huh, and here I thought you were either a Hatfield or a McCoy. :D

Like your older photo, Weedy, but do like the little one. Big collars were a thing. I have a number of photos with big collars.
My mother made just about everything I wore, including this dress. I remember this particular dress very well. It was made for me to wear in the Snow Queen little queens event.

All over eastern South Dakota sometime in January is the Snow Queen contest, started after WW II, when officials from the St. Paul, Minnesota, Winter Carnival approached officials in Aberdeen, SD to have a satellite of their festivities. It has been going on for 74 years now.

A senior h.s. girl is selected to be the Snow Queen in each community at a Sunday evening event.

Kindergarten girls do not have a contest, but wear formal dresses, have a formal walk, are individually introduced and have to curtsy to the audience. Any girl can participate who is the right age. We were each given silver dollars by the emcee when I participated. That might be a tradition, I don't know. This was my dress for the Snow Queen little queens. It was floor length, blue textured satin. (Must have been a bear to sew.) When Snow Queen was over, my dress was shortened so I could wear it for church and other special occasions, such as school photos. I had a can-can slip to wear with it. That can-can slip? It rubbed and irritated me! I always had red marks after I wore it. It was not a warm dress, so I usually wore a cardigan with it.

All the senior (h.s.) Snow Queen community winners participate in a statewide contest, but not the little queens. There are scholarships, etc. for the winners.
There is also a talent show contest as part of the Snow Queen event and statewide winners as well.
All these years later, they now have a senior citizen female Snow Queen as well. One year, one of my former (now deceased) teachers was selected as the Senior Queen.

You have to know that that kind of thing was not my kind of thing. Being on stage in front a few 100 people is something I could have lived without at that age. (Public speaking is not a problem for me now. I've done lots of it over the years. But that is different.) It was my mother's thing. She was the president of the Civic League at the time that sponsors it and puts it together every year. Civic League raises money for community projects. They have done a lot of good over the years. When my mother was president, there was a big push to get a swimming pool that had been ongoing for a few years.

My mother made just about everything I wore, including this dress. I remember this particular dress very well. It was made for me to wear in the Snow Queen little queens event.

All over eastern South Dakota sometime in January is the Snow Queen contest, started after WW II, when officials from the St. Paul, Minnesota, Winter Carnival approached officials in Aberdeen, SD to have a satellite of their festivities. It has been going on for 74 years now.

A senior h.s. girl is selected to be the Snow Queen in each community at a Sunday evening event.

Kindergarten girls do not have a contest, but wear formal dresses, have a formal walk, are individually introduced and have to curtsy to the audience. Any girl can participate who is the right age. We were each given silver dollars by the emcee when I participated. That might be a tradition, I don't know. This was my dress for the Snow Queen little queens. It was floor length, blue textured satin. (Must have been a bear to sew.) When Snow Queen was over, my dress was shortened so I could wear it for church and other special occasions, such as school photos. I had a can-can slip to wear with it. That can-can slip? It rubbed and irritated me! I always had red marks after I wore it. It was not a warm dress, so I usually wore a cardigan with it.

All the senior (h.s.) Snow Queen community winners participate in a statewide contest, but not the little queens. There are scholarships, etc. for the winners.
There is also a talent show contest as part of the Snow Queen event and statewide winners as well.
All these years later, they now have a senior citizen female Snow Queen as well. One year, one of my former (now deceased) teachers was selected as the Senior Queen.

You have to know that that kind of thing was not my kind of thing. Being on stage in front a few 100 people is something I could have lived without at that age. (Public speaking is not a problem for me now. I've done lots of it over the years. But that is different.) It was my mother's thing. She was the president of the Civic League at the time that sponsors it and puts it together every year. Civic League raises money for community projects. They have done a lot of good over the years. When my mother was president, there was a big push to get a swimming pool that had been ongoing for a few years.

What I read is interesting will finish it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back