What did the Ancient Greeks eat?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
a possible look into post shtf deal or post industrial society foods and ways? nuggets through out video but last portion is the best,especially pay close attention to Sparta's food policy and its results and the last quote the narrator reads ending the video. very interesting for sure....

I love programs like this! Thank you very much for sharing! I'd never really thought too much about the climate so its interesting to learn about the different climates in different areas and what resources were available. (I just started watching it but wanted to remember to comment).

I can plant my Fig tree when it's warmer, I think olives are out of the question.
The Princess has me growing digs, olives, coffee, and oranges in large pots. I can move the trees inside for winter. Coffee was most sensitive currently looking it is dead after a night of 17 degrees in greenhouse. Figs did much better only dropping some leaves. Olive barely noticed the cold.

I have a 10 year old fig outside that dies back to the ground in winter. The figs seldom had time to ripen. This is still my first year of figs in pots.

Ben

The Princess has me growing digs, olives, coffee, and oranges in large pots. I can move the trees inside for winter. Coffee was most sensitive currently looking it is dead after a night of 17 degrees in greenhouse. Figs did much better only dropping some leaves. Olive barely noticed the cold.

I have a 10 year old fig outside that dies back to the ground in winter. The figs seldom had time to ripen. This is still my first year of figs in pots.

Ben
Mine are "chicago" figs from Baker Creek, we will see the end of this year. One will stay here with me, one with go to a friend with a greener thumb, and we can compare

slightly different microclimates may make a difference, or I will add Fig to the list of plants that hate me :p

We used to have some fig trees out here. If they are still around they no longer produce fruit. I remember that box turtles liked figs. We rescued an injured one and had the vet fix the shell and treat infection. Fed her some figs and grubs and released her near where we found her (but off of the road-- she'd been run over and her shell was cracked open).

Ooh, time to watch the one on beverages!

We have some figs. Turkey foot is the name. They die back most years, but put on lots of growth. Last year we harvested over 20 from one bush. My new ones will take a few years to produce, but will get more sunlight. I'm hoping that helps ripening

There are old fig trees on my place that would have been planted many decades ago.

We like the fruit and so do the birds.

The latter have managed to self seed figs everywhere the soil stays somewhat moist in summer.

There are male and female fig trees.

The self seeded ones seem to be randomly sexed.

1. Common Fig Tree​

As you would probably guess from the name, this is probably the most common fig tree variant. It is incredibly popular in the US, where many grow it in institutions and home gardens.

The unique feature of these fig trees lies in the fact that they do not have any proper seeds. Owing to this fact, they do not require to be pollinated either, so you can practically grow them anywhere you deem fit.

Figs growing from the Common fig tree can withstand insect attacks. They are also unsusceptible to rotting as they do not feature any opening allowing rainwater, which could affect the fruit, to penetrate. The Common fig is probably the only species of fig that can stay consistently good for an extensive period.

6. Smyrna Fig Tree​

Usually pollinated by the caprifigs, the Smyrna bears female flowers. Based on its geographical location, it is also interchangeably known as the Calimyrna fig tree. The species is known for its soft and delicious-tasting figs with high fiber content.

While consuming these figs fresh, you will notice their striking greenish-yellow hue. But when dried, they will immediately assume a light golden hue. At this stage, they also taste like nuts.

I have the common fig, Texas Great fig(brown), Lemon fig(yellow), & a Greek green fig with no name.
I also have twenty Brown Turkey fig plants.

Latest posts

Back