What do I do with a traditional well?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayoutwest

Friend
Neighbor
Working on buying some property that has multiple drilled wells and one traditional, hand dug (3-4 ft wide) well. It's at least partially stone lined, and seems to have some algae and who knows what else. It's got a little "well house" built up around it and is covered with metal to prevent kids from falling in.

I love the idea of having a backup to all the other backups, and it just seems so neat. But I have no idea how to maintain it and make sure the water is clear of algae or whatever else has to be done. Any ideas?

Working on buying some property that has multiple drilled wells and one traditional, hand dug (3-4 ft wide) well. It's at least partially stone lined, and seems to have some algae and who knows what else. It's got a little "well house" built up around it and is covered with metal to prevent kids from falling in.

I love the idea of having a backup to all the other backups, and it just seems so neat. But I have no idea how to maintain it and make sure the water is clear of algae or whatever else has to be done. Any ideas?
Simply using it so the water is "flushed" as it would be helps keep the water clean. It might be worth it to use a little manual pump to use water from it for a period to do such things as water trees/garden etc. I also think well shock would work but then you wouldn't want to use it on veg. or for animals.
PS - welcome to the forum. Might hop over into the new members introduction thread and let us say howdy to you. 😁

Nailed it. you might try dipping the sludge out before you flush it, maybe add some prestochlor and let it sit a few days before flushing. By the time you need it, it will be crystal clear!

Is there any truth that moss kills germs?

Nailed it. you might try dipping the sludge out before you flush it, maybe add some prestochlor and let it sit a few days before flushing. By the time you need it, it will be crystal clear!

Is there any truth that moss kills germs?
It's my understanding that if you squeeze water out of moss that you find growing on trees or rocks, it will be safe to drink as the moss inhibits bacterial growth. But I don't know about moss that's been floating on water...

Wells need to be used so the water gets refreshed with new groundwater. Where I live, a hand dug well would probably not be safe due to agricultural contaminants. Where you live, the water might be fine. Get it tested and find out if there's anything in it that bleach or iodine or potassium permanganate won't take care of. If it just has microorganisms in it, you can always boil it or chemically treat it to make it safe...

If it is of any use...

The summer cottage (The Princess' grandfather built) has standing instructions to shock the well each spring. Gallon of Clorox dumped down the well. Then run water until bleach smell is gone.

Ben

Latest posts

Back