What do I do with squash?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A friend of mine who keeps trying to make us less carnivorous brought some squash over. What do you do with them? My pigs really want them but I figured we would at least try them first.

1014181824.jpg

A friend of mine who keeps trying to make us less carnivorous brought some squash over. What do you do with them? My pigs really want them but I figured we would at least try them first.

View attachment 9471
Those look like zucchinis that were perhaps cross pollinated with pumpkins. I know someone who cuts them into matchstick pieces, with seeds removed, sautees (sp?) them in butter and seasons them.

Is that one of those banana squash? Like a summer squash? I really like to coarsely chop into 1 in squares and sauteed in bacon grease onions garlic salt & pepper. Sprinkle some parmesan on top. Sometimes I just fry bacon first then add everything. Another option would be to stuff it like you would bell peppers or even stuff like you would eggplant.

You can slice them crosswise (about a quarter inch), parboil them a few minutes, then pan fry them in butter. Leave the seeds in, they'll cook too. I use fine black pepper for seasoning, but I'm conservative. That's if Weedy is right about the cross. If the cross is with jalapeno, another path might work better. Hah.

You can slice them crosswise (about a quarter inch), parboil them a few minutes, then pan fry them in butter. Leave the seeds in, they'll cook too. I use fine black pepper for seasoning, but I'm conservative. That's if Weedy is right about the cross. If the cross is with jalapeno, another path might work better. Hah.

That would be the path to the pig pen! :eek:

I dehydrated my pie pumpkins last spring. I had a few left over from my meger harvest. I didn't want them to go to waste so I sun oven baked them, puree after and spread it on wax parchment paper in the dehydrater...
After they were dryed, I ground it up in the blender to a fineish powder and I got a zip lock baggie full. It can be added to soups to thicken or rehydrated for bread or pie. I ve only added to soup so far...

Zukes can be used to make ratatouille. I am also not a fan of egg plant either, but know people who love ratatouille.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ratatouille-12164

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil
a 3/4-pound eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
1 small zucchini, scrubbed, quartered lengthwise, and cut into thin slices
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 pound small ripe tomatoes, chopped coarse (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves

PREPARATION

In a large skillet cook the onion and the garlic in 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and heat it over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking. Add the eggplant and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until the eggplant is softened. Stir in the zucchini and the bell pepper and cook the mixture over the moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook the mixture, stirring occassionaly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the oregano, the thyme, the coriander, the fennel seeds, the salt, and pepper to taste and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the basil and combine the mixture well. The ratatouille may be made 1 day in advance, kept covered and chilled, and reheated before serving.

Is that one of those banana squash? Like a summer squash? I really like to coarsely chop into 1 in squares and sauteed in bacon grease onions garlic salt & pepper. Sprinkle some parmesan on top. Sometimes I just fry bacon first then add everything. Another option would be to stuff it like you would bell peppers or even stuff like you would eggplant.

When we get really big ones, we cut the ends off, dig out the seeds and stuff em with meatloaf.

Sometimes we covet it with leftover pasta sauce when we bake it and top it with mozzarella or parmesan cheese.

Back