What do you collect?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collect tin cans. Some are full of corn, others beans, all sorts of stuff.:cool:

I have a collection of postcards. These postcards were all created by Otto Schallerer. Otto (I never know if I'm spelling his name backwards) was an Alaskan photographer and owned a curio store. One of my first jobs was in his store. Otto collected Sidney Lawrence paintings, now that is a collection I'd love to own. I counted 71 in his living room.

I was looking around, and I think I collect dust :p All manner of books, Oil lamps, tobacco pipes, assorted knives, watches, etc etc etc. None of it on purpose, I have a wee bit of trouble turning things down when I see a bargain, or when it's a gift from a friend or loved one. I may be a borderline hoarder, but I prefer eclectic collector :)
I collect dust as well. I'm with you, anytime I see certain items for free or a low price, I will take it, even if it is more than I thought I wanted or needed, but especially if they are preparedness items. I got to be a pack rat from my grandparents who raised me.

SANTA CLAUS and no I don't have a limit
My wife collects Santa Clauses. She has over 400 and she gets more all the time.
All types and sizes. One is so big he just sits in the corner of the yard year round. It takes her several days to put them all up at Christmas and even longer to pack them away after Christmas. A storage shed is full of plastic tubs, full of Santas. I am NOT a fan of them.

A friend of mine was a LRRP. He never made it home. Your buddy was not the only one with an ear collection. A couple of weeks at a time behind enemy lines observing their movements is a pretty hairy business.

Yeah... there was a lot of creepy in that war. He was a LRRP ( pronounced lurp). Long Range Recon Patrol. He usually was out there for 2 weeks at a time wandering around in the dark and ugly jungle mostly behind enemy lines..
A friend of mine was a LRRP. He never made it home. Your buddy was not the only one with an ear collection. A couple of weeks at a time behind enemy lines observing their movements is a pretty hairy business.
I can only imagine that many of them never made it home. That was a long time to be out and about in a war zone.

I can only imagine that many of them never made it home. That was a long time to be out and about in a war zone.

Many of them that made it home, didn't fully make it back. Even the ones that didn't live through such intense battle were scarred for life. Some were able to put it in it's place and live great lives, but others came home and just couldn't cope with "The World". So many lives just wasted for nothing. I often wonder how my dad would have been if he had made in home from Nam.

I nursed a lot of Vietnam vets in the years afterward and the stories they told me were horrific. Many had shell shock and shook non stop, would have night terrors and go into battle in their sleep walking and running through the wards. Many a night I cuddled a few of them to settle them down from bad dreams.

Finally I would have to say they have got recognition for what they did which was the problem is that many were shunned after they got home. We know of many Vietnam vets here in our local town.

I don't think anyone comes back from war unscathed with the memories they hold in their heads and or injuries they sustain, but some just appear to handle it better on the outside. If you asked their wives and or partners most will tell you a different story.

Last edited:
That buddy I had never did really fit in once he was back. He kept leaving by taking jobs like "Ranch Security" in Angola and Rhodesia and weird places like that.

Taking "ranch security" jobs in Rhodesia and Angola at that time probably wasnt too much of a change. When I lived in that area the owner of the farm (family friend) was a former Selous Scout. Talking with him and hitting the bush for a few weeks with him was an education I couldnt get anywhere else.

I've collected folding pocket knifes.lock blade knifes .clip on lock blade knifes.kitchen knifes..fixed blade knifes.belt knifes.in which im wearing one at this time.and then there's my oul lamps.I've got at least 15 oil lamps if i figure right.in which at least 3 or 4 are old ones

Flashlights: I think it was Caribou who recently told about a different version of head lamps. I have a couple of them now. I have been thinking about getting some new hand held flashlights as well and am looking for recommendations.
Fun times with head lamps in warm weather. Go outside (at night of course), using headlamps or holding a flashlight in place up by your temple, shine it out onto the ground and see all the creepy spiders staring back at you.
I think I need to switch over to collecting fun times, good memories with my people.

Latest posts

Back