What do you do for a living?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Now that we are all coming together from a variety of different places, and are combining old friends with new, let's find out what everyone does for a living or for your family (like house husband or stay home mom) or just for yourself. And don't worry retirees, I know darn well that you are still up to something too. Paid or otherwise. Of course you can also tells us what you use to do or what you intend to do in the future.

I am a law enforcement officer with 27 years on the job. Nowadays I work solely in administration. I also do some consultant work (mostly testing) for a couple gun manufacturers and gun parts companies.

I too am retired. In my working years, I developed computer systems for large health systems. I worked as an employee at some of them but most of my years was in consulting. I may have worked at a hospital you've visited as I've worked for hospitals in NY, PA, VA, NM, TX, GA, MI, AL, KY, IA, IN, IL, FL (and maybe some others). Thankfully, I got to do most of the work from home for the last 10-15 years.

^ Pencil pusher!

Me, I'm just a retired trash collector, who spends most of his day on the forums these days.

I nearly listed my occupation as life skills coach and roadside therapist.

^ Pencil pusher!

Me, I'm just a retired trash collector, who spends most of his day on the forums these days.
I have a problem with that. Are we trash since you've collected a bunch of us along the way.

I'm retired too, sort of. My career was wide and varied. I'd get bored and move on to something new. I did work in a hospital ekg/resp therapy and went to college for a couple of years studying to be an ER tech. Somehow I got involved in auto repair and drove a wrecker. Truly I've done a bit of everything that you wouldn't have associated with being female.

I'm retired also. I never could figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up. I'm a residential construction contractor in Alabama and Florida, journeyman machinist and tool and die maker, certified welder, certified in AC and Refrigeration. That's bout all the stuff I had to go to school for and be certified. Oh yeah, I'm certified to lease apartments and property in Florida. I like to learn new stuff!
Oh yeah, I have 32 out of 64 credit hours needed for a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Im a work tramp. I consider myself to be a mechanic and farmer mostly. So this is a list of jobs i will do throughout the year.
Sub contractor for any type of constitution from building, concrete, framing, finsh, roofing,...... to runing heavy equipment.
Snowmaker.
Welder/fabricator.
Butcher and slaughter men for about any animal.
Mechanic small engine to heavy equipment.
Chicken sales, chicks, pullet, or freezer ready.
The list goes on.....
Jack of all trades master of none is my most hated saying! I know a lot of different trades and i try and master them all and work to master them all. Work is never something i have to seek out but if i could figure out how to get more hours in a day that would be great!

Retired in name only. Started working as an auto mechanic while in H.S. Owned my own repair shop for 10 years before retiring. Still working as a volunteer firefighter (mostly administrative now) coming close to 50yrs. Part time work in a greenhouse during spring season. Also have training in floral design that helped my wife when she owned a flower shop. Oh forgot time spent now with gardening and gathering wood for the stove.

I have a problem with that. Are we trash since you've collected a bunch of us along the way.

Ya! What she said!!!!!!!!

I'm retired too, sort of. My career was wide and varied. I'd get bored and move on to something new. I did work in a hospital ekg/resp therapy and went to college for a couple of years studying to be an ER tech. Somehow I got involved in auto repair and drove a wrecker. Truly I've done a bit of everything that you wouldn't have associated with being female.

I drove 45 foot flatbeds with structural steel and 53 foot livestock trailers. Nice to know a fellow lady driver! I miss it!

I’m a cattle (mainly) rancher. I “specialize” in reproduction. Artificial Insemination and Embryo Transfer. Love my work. Love our cattle.
Used to drive semi.
Have spent a lot of my life on horseback working cattle.
Had a hog breeding opporation going here as well for years but due to the price drop and increase in feed we got out of it. Miss it a little bit.
Run sheep with a close friend. Have had lot of goats but none at the moment.
Do some animal rescue and rehab work as well as work for a sanctuary.

I am a real estate agent. My favorite transactions, and what I focus on, is acreage and investment property. Im on my way to becoming a certified land consultant. I do sell homes and luxury real estate when the market is hot in spring and summer though. I love it and if anyone ever has any questions related to transferring property Im happy to answer them if I can although rules and regs vary greatly from state to state.

Got my Engineering degree in Electronics 1974, Got my Mechanical Engineering degree in 1979,

Went to work for a company , helping design Space Shuttle Engine testing along with the original space suits.
Started my own Tech Company in 1987, traveled the USA , Mexico, Canada, and Germany...as a Tech Consultant /Troubleshooter until 2001.

Health issues stopped me , and I retired .

Been homesteading and spending my life with my Wife , Children, and grand children since retiring.

Jim

As I approach my 6th decade around the sun, I'm still climbing trees for a living. Been doing it since '82. Certified as an Arborist in '96. Self employed since '98.

My mother thinks I'm nuts. :)

5695_101104049904327_237995_n.jpg

I am a real estate agent. My favorite transactions, and what I focus on, is acreage and investment property. Im on my way to becoming a certified land consultant. I do sell homes and luxury real estate when the market is hot in spring and summer though. I love it and if anyone ever has any questions related to transferring property Im happy to answer them if I can although rules and regs vary greatly from state to state.
I would never had guessed that in a million years. I don't even know what i would have thought you did for a living but i would have never guessed that. So when you go check out new properties during hunting season do you carry a rifle with you? You know just incase a crazy deer decides to attack you.

I'm a stay at home mom but was a costume designer/makeup artist before the girls were born.

As I approach my 6th decade around the sun, I'm still climbing trees for a living. Been doing it since '82. Certified as an Arborist in '96. Self employed since '98.

My mother thinks I'm nuts. :)

View attachment 1045
I have cut down a lot of trees from logging to stuff like your picture. I either cut it at the stump or use a man lift. I have been brush ***** for quite a few guys that climb. Personally i agree with your mother. Im not saying you guys are mentally unstable at all, im saying you guys aren't wrapped tight. I find that to be a good thing....

Latest posts

Back