What do you do for a living?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im the Executive Chef for a restaurant of one of the oldest private members club in Hong Kong, the majority of my day is dealing with other peoples 1st world problems. "My french fries were longer the last time I came, and why can I design my own dish from your menus? My 8 year old really had his heart set on caviar and pancakes, I am going to inform management about this!!"

Before that, Head Chef for another club over here, Sous Chef for a private chef company, Restaurant/Bar general manager, then USN for 12 years....
7 months and I finally leave this armpit of the earth, and hopefully in the Air National Guard and working in a small resort by our new house in Michigan, with goats, a pig and a few chickens......fingers crossed...

Im the Executive Chef for a restaurant of one of the oldest private members club in Hong Kong, the majority of my day is dealing with other peoples 1st world problems. "My french fries were longer the last time I came, and why can I design my own dish from your menus? My 8 year old really had his heart set on caviar and pancakes, I am going to inform management about this!!"

Before that, Head Chef for another club over here, Sous Chef for a private chef company, Restaurant/Bar general manager, then USN for 12 years....
7 months and I finally leave this armpit of the earth, and hopefully in the Air National Guard and working in a small resort by our new house in Michigan, with goats, a pig and a few chickens......fingers crossed...
Go for the it with gusto and it will happen! Good luck!

I started out as an Army interrogator/translator (German and Chinese), and then after I got out, went to nursing school. I've spent the last 32+ years as a registered nurse, both at the bedside and in nursing management, civilian and military. For the last few years, I've been an infection preventionist for a rural healthcare association in Arizona. I've done a lot of teaching as well- first for a company called PESIHealthcare that sent me around the country doing seminars on Medical Surgical Nursing and Physical Assessment Skills, and then later, I also taught online for a university for a number of years in an RN to BSN program. I was editor of a nursing journal for a few years, too. Thanks to student loans, it will be a few years before I retire and try to fulfill another life dream of writing. It's OK that I have time before I retire, as I absolutely love nursing!
Nee How

Business owner working with other peoples' money, and also, during the warmer weekends, traveling to sell items at flea markets. I'll work/had PT jobs in housekeeping, child care, elderly care, politics o_O , as a college speaker, and an eBay store. Before that, owned a lg cow-calf farm (not factory), but sold, due to the '08 financial crisis. My school background is mathematics, English, and real estate. I'm also a veteran, author and volunteer in my community.

你好。我不会说中文
Nǐ hǎo. Wǒ bù huì shuō zhōngwén

hello. I don’t speak Chinese.

with a B&b and guests from all over the world, Google
translate is my friend

The Google translate app on my phone helps on my job too.

你好。我不会说中文
Nǐ hǎo. Wǒ bù huì shuō zhōngwén

hello. I don’t speak Chinese.

with a B&b and guests from all over the world, Google
translate is my friend
I speak New Mandarin/Local. I cant read Characters or written English translation. I can write phonetic which is useless. I learned it from Ms Chen. Be careful with "Software Translators" as meaning is expressed by Voice inflection. one word can have more than 4 meanings. There are over 8 different, but related Languages in China. I couldn't understand most Chinese people, but I understand Ms Chen. Her Dialect is New Mandarin, Local Shanghai. I wouldn't be able to understand someone from Gwan Joe unless they attended High School in "New Mandarin". I cant even spell it. No Big, English is Taught starting in Middle School all over China. In Fact, a person must pass an English Test to get in to College. Its the Law now.
PS If you said what you wrote, in Mandarin, the Chinese person would look at you funny and possibly think you were Lying.

Over 40 years ago I started working on the rivers as a deckhand. Eventually moved up to tankerman* and then to tugboat captain.

Went back to school and passed the CPA exam and moved into office work over 27 years ago- mostly accounting but was a purchasing agent for a major
corp for a number of years.

Looking at retiring in a year or two.

*tankerman; someone licensed to load and unload chemical & petroleum barges

This is the Company I work for. Traxintl.com. They are hiring for many positions. If you want a change and want to do something Fun. Go to their site and click "Careers" . If you can pass "Tier III" you are Good To Go. I operate out of YPG.

I speak New Mandarin/Local. I cant read Characters or written English translation. I can write phonetic which is useless. I learned it from Ms Chen. Be careful with "Software Translators" as meaning is expressed by Voice inflection. one word can have more than 4 meanings. There are over 8 different, but related Languages in China. I couldn't understand most Chinese people, but I understand Ms Chen. Her Dialect is New Mandarin, Local Shanghai. I wouldn't be able to understand someone from Gwan Joe unless they attended High School in "New Mandarin". I cant even spell it. No Big, English is Taught starting in Middle School all over China. In Fact, a person must pass an English Test to get in to College. Its the Law now.
PS If you said what you wrote, in Mandarin, the Chinese person would look at you funny and possibly think you were Lying.

We work a lot with people from China and while they typically have training in English it is usually far from fluency (albeit better than my Chinese regardless of dialect). With the google translate screen we can typically manage.

I have a smattering of numerous languages in my repertoire typically enough to greet them and apologize for not speaking their language.

I have learned that if people want to communicate they can make it work. We had a neighbour fresh from Poland, an older gentleman with no English at all. With a little French, a little German and a lot of gestures we got to the point where we could have a conversation. It probably looked and sounded weird but it worked for us.

23473173_1532353416802365_7141409386430872747_n.jpg

I learned Chinese at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey , CA back in the 70s. Our focus was on Communist Chinese (Peking dialect) but I had instructors from Taiwan and Shanghai. We learned to speak, read, and write, but also learned the romanization (writing words with letters instead of characters). I prefer pinyin romanization over Wade Giles as it just makes more sense to me. I wish I was still fluent, but I am REALLY rusty. I go to the local Chinese restaurant to practice, but since my vocabulary is mostly military, it is hard to have a good conversation!

I learned Chinese at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey , CA back in the 70s. Our focus was on Communist Chinese (Peking dialect) but I had instructors from Taiwan and Shanghai. We learned to speak, read, and write, but also learned the romanization (writing words with letters instead of characters). I prefer pinyin romanization over Wade Giles as it just makes more sense to me. I wish I was still fluent, but I am REALLY rusty. I go to the local Chinese restaurant to practice, but since my vocabulary is mostly military, it is hard to have a good conversation!
I hear ya. Ms Chen doesn't like speaking Mandarin with me, so I don't get to practice. Yet she tells her Chinese GFs shes teaching me Mandarin, when they offer to teach me. LOL I was at a Gunshow a few months ago. I saw a 300Blackout Upper on a table. A 40 ish Chinese woman and her Husband were running the stable(They own a GS in Globe). Her Chinese accent was almost gone. I asked questions about the upper and bought it. When I turned to go, I looked her in the eye and said "Shee Shee Nee". She was stunned and said in English "OH..I Don't Know What To Say" she collected herself, Then said Your welcome have a nice day in Mandarin. Apparently even Chinese people "lose It If They Dont Use It" we laughed.

Latest posts

Back