What do you know about camper shells?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We are looking at camper shells for our Tacoma. We have checked the big 3 Lear, Snugtop and ARE. I like the look of the ARE models. Also can't make up my mind about cab height or the slightly taller ones. I am inclined to go with cab high and a ladder rack on top. They are all expensive so I want to get as much info as I can. Thanks

I am sure you have many good reasons for wanting a truck topper. So, what I have to say is of no use to you. But, for me, toppers have always seemed to be in the way when I want to carry something big or a full load....like a refrigerator or a bed full of firewood or a dozen bags and boxes to be delivered to the recycling center. I prefer a roll-up tonneau cover.

I have a 2003 Tacoma, with an extremely short bed. I was able to find a scratch free, used one with all screens and working windows, on Offer Up, about 15 miles from my house. It was the same color as my bed, and best of all, it was 1/3rd the price of a new shell. I couldn't be happier.
16544615669842617276514250579603.jpg
16544616179177571814814371225798.jpg

Last edited:
I have had both the Fiberglass shell and the roll-up tonneau cover both have their good points and their bad.
The fiberglass shell held up well (20 years), you could lock it, and it made it so I could camp in the truck and stay dry in bad weather, it also allowed me to carry boxes up to the size of a washing machine in it. But I couldn't carry long lumber or really big stuff without lowering the tail gate, risking the load itself and the "lock" wasn't all that secure. I also found that installing and removing the fiberglass top by myself was a handfull.

The tonneau cover let me secure small stuff in the truck bed out of sight. It also let me still fully use the truck bed. But, it's not a camper and it is not as durable, I'm on my second one, the first one only lasted 15 years before it began to tear.

If I had a trailer that I could use to haul stuff to the dump or pick up lumber, then I would prefer the fiberglass shell. Without a trailer, the tonneau cover offered more flexibility and was less expensive.

I also have a short bed Tacoma and the best thing I did was buy a Leer mid rise cap. The few extra inches of height it provides allows me to carry more than the cab high caps and the Thule roof rack lets me carry ladders, kayaks, and a small amount of lumber. The photo below is of a recent vacation in Maine where I carried two kayaks, the longer one is ten feet long.

Cabin Fever is right that truck caps do tend to prevent you from carrying larger items, but when I need to move something that does not fit in the cap, I can use one of my trailers.

I would also recommend looking on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist if you do not want to pay full price.

cap.JPG

I went with a tri fold hard cover for my f150. I can simply fold it up against the cab and use the 2 rods to keep it in place. I do lose the view out the back window but that's not a problem.
I then have the full use of the bed.
The cover locks but like most locks it's just to keep the honest people out. If a thief wants your stuff they will get it.
https://www.amazon.com/Bed-2015-2022-Ford-F150-PIT66/dp/B09985WQ37?th=1
61EP9S3jeGL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I guess it is worth mentioning we have another truck for hauling and a full size suburban that can carry up to 10ft lumber or pvc slid between the front seats. The Tacoma is our newest vehicle and is our out of town ride. Mostly we want the extra room for the dog or our stuff. Even with the crew cab we run out of room quickly. We have 2 GHBs, an overnight bag, small ice chest, some snacks, a pillow, shoes etc. The tonneau would work accept for the dog I suppose.

I looked on Craigslist but didn't try very hard. I think I will work harder at it. ARE has a 16 week lead time for color marching or made to order.

I am not a fan of toppers. I fully admit that they can be useful. In fact I am considering one of the new Ford Mavericks with a topper, although the topper adds $3500 to the price. The only reason I'm thinking about that is to use the Maverick as a more fuel efficient traveling vehicle for all the long distance driving I do. The topper would protect my gear while leaving the back seat open for riders and my most valuable gear. I would actually use it the same as a small SUV, except I can get a 250 HP engine in it for about 5k less than a small SUV with an equivalent engine.

For general truck use, toppers always seem to be in the way. I hate having to crawl into the bed to get to stuff up front. I hate not being able to throw stuff over the side into the bed. They're not waterproof - they tend to leak in a hard rain and even the best manufacturers won't guarantee water protection. That limits them for actual camping.

I had a topper on a truck and it was handy if I needed to carry camping gear or things like that.
I even slept in it once and almost died from the cold. December duck hunting in negative temperatures is not the smartest thing I ever did.
I just found it to be in my way and didn't put one on my future trucks.
I hate having to crawl into the bed to get to stuff up front.
I am with you on crawling in to get stuff.
I got me a boat hook and leave it in my truck. Unless something is very heavy I can just use the hook to pull it out.
Very handy and it only cost me $12.99
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HHL58G7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
71dnQihgLrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

All I keep in the back is all my target stands, steel and paper targets, the 2x4's, the 1x2 furring strips, a tool box of paints, clamps, etc, two fold out chairs, a case of clay pigeons. It stays dry, and best of all, I can leave it in the back of the truck, out of the elements, and ready to hit the range at a moment's notice.

We went with a century made in the same factory as Leer. The ARE campers had an 18 week lead time. That was a no go. They were all about the same price. The Century dealer was a small shop compared to the others. They seemed more personable and less in a hurry it will look like this this. We added some nice upgrades like pet screens, all glass rear door, slider window in front and factory Thule roof racks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-190302.png
    Screenshot_20220610-190302.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back