What do you think of this? Three years without a trial!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What in the world!? So much went wrong with the system in this case that there had to be both corruption and evil intent behind it. There is no way someone just fell through the cracks and spent 3 years in jail without trial and 2 years of that in solitary.

I was a bailiff on a murder trial. They kept the accused in solitary for 8 months trying to get him to confess. They also hid exculpatory evidence, and let a witness testify under a false name so another State wouldn't be able to have him arrested. The first trial was hung with 11 for acquittal and one guilty. the second trial they all voted for acquittal.

That is so sad. I also would be enraged. Think the color of his skin had anything to do with the mistreatment, abuse and injustice? Why him? Arrested and put in jail for allegedly stealing a backpack...3 years. Just a kid.

That is so sad. I also would be enraged. Think the color of his skin had anything to do with the mistreatment, abuse and injustice? Why him? Arrested and put in jail for allegedly stealing a backpack...3 years. Just a kid.

I did a little more reading about this case as it happened back in 2015 and it turns out the "news" only provided some of the story. Turns out the state had a case, but both sides delayed and delayed the trial, eventually the witness left the country and the charges were dropped. At least some of his time in solitary was based on behavioral issues and noncompliance, although much of it was also because of a broken and overburdened NY criminal justice system. Browder was released and he committed suicide two years later, allegedly from mental anguish from his time in prison. Lawsuits were filed and the city settled for a $3.3 million payout. From what I understand however there was some blame to go around for the prosecutor, jail administration, defense attorneys, family, etc. Some claim the family let the situation happen in order to get paid. Others solely blame the system. The truth is likely in the middle. Apparently there is a movie about this case which is solely focused from the Browder point of view, as produced by none other than Harvey Weinstein.

Latest posts

Back