What do you use a UV flashlight for?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I went looking for some UV flashlights to give as gifts for some kids. They go camping and look for rocks that 'glow'. They also have lots of fun with them when they play b/c it makes their shoelaces and white clothes glow. I remember my kids going midnight bowling and playing lazer tag at a place with the UV lights to add to the experience.

While looking for lights to buy the kids, I stumbled across other uses for the flashlights that I never really thought much about.

* For those clean freaks, the UV light will show you where your efforts need to be concentrated. I use it on my carpets before I shampoo them to make sure I'm not missing any spots. The light most definitely works to identify dog and cat pee. I will NOT take a UV light to a hotel. There's some things I'd rather not know when I must stay at a hotel, which thankfully, is rare.

*UV light will identify old pottery with uranium in them, which are collectible.

*Used to detect scorpions and make them stand out.

*Will identify antifreeze, so it's used to identify leaks by mechanics.

*Can help identify art forgeries or repairs.

*In the garden it can be used to spot bugs to more easily eradicate them.

*Can help make receipts easier to read.

*Can help to identify fluid spashes that aren't easily seen by the naked eye.

*Anglers use them to charge 'glow in the dark' lures and/or locate fish in the water.

*Valadates currency.

Does anyone else know of other used for UV flashlights?

You have a pretty thorough list.
I'll add septic testing. There's dye pellets you can get to show sewer leakage. Flush them then wait.
Not sure about the new ones but what I've used requires a UV light to show where the dye has leached out (which isn't good). If you have a UV glowing anything in your leach bed, it's some level of raw sewage.

To follow a blood trail
I've heard that they don't work that well for blood. I'll have hubby try it out in the fall when he gets a deer.

I need one. The neighbors cat peed on my tractor, somewhere.
How do you know it peed on your tractor? Thankfully the flashlights are cheap to buy and does work really well for finding pet pee.

I've heard that they don't work that well for blood. I'll have hubby try it out in the fall when he gets a deer.

How do you know it peed on your tractor? Thankfully the flashlights are cheap to buy and does work really well for finding pet pee.
It reeks of cat piss. Gives me an instant head ache.

For golfing at night?
I know this wasn't a question for me, but I'd say YES! I have gone midnight golfing and it was a riot! We used trasparent golf balls with glow sticks inserted. We don't have to worry about gaters and creepy things at night, so it was a ton of fun. The golf coarse does this at least once a year.

It reeks of cat piss. Gives me an instant head ache.
So how did you pizz your cat off?:D Dang thing better be a good mouser! LOL!

I'm thinking we all just STOP using them!!🙄🤔
I'm confused?...........

I don't think I want to see what a UV light would reveal to me. My wife has had cats since the day we were married. I don't know what I would find, but I'm afraid a UV light might prompt me to rip up all the carpet. Replace it with stainless steel. And electrify it. Take that, kitty cat!

Yeah, I gotta go with Haertig on this one. Our adorable felines discharge unexpectedly and it takes a blacklight to nail down where they had their mishap so we can clean it thoroughly.

I really like his idea of "you whiz, you fry" but I'm not sure how to set that up in my home.

Latest posts

Back