What Has Everyone Been Planting Today ?.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning we planted our 10 strawberry plants in the front rose, herb and berry gardens and watered them in with a Seasol solution. Bonus was that one plant had a runner with roots so that turned into 11 plants. We have 2 more plants with runners on them that we have covered them with soil and after they develop roots we will cut them from the mother plant and that will make another 2 plants. Got to love extra free strawberry plants :D .

Had another session in the gardens this afternoon and thinned the white onions out and planted them further apart in two small rows and thinned the carrots out and did the same thing in one row. We then planted another 2 x 3mt rows of white onions in the same garden bed and did a little weeding in two vegetable gardens as well. After that we watered all of the onions, newly planted sweet corn that has now sprouted and the transplanted carrots with rainwater from our tanks.

Hello everyone :) and another stinking hot summer day here and over 30 oc.

We waited until 3pm and planted another 5 x 2mt rows of sweet corn in the gardens today and watered them in along with the newly sprouted corn in another garden and the newly planted lavender and strawberry plants in the front gardens. Upon looking around the side of the garage we noticed a heap of dried fallen leaves there so we raked them all up and cleaned and stacked the empty garden pots around there and put them near the side of the garage with the compost bins. It looks much neater now.

We then put the dried leaves on the driveway and covered them with the grass clippings from mowing the lawns on Monday and ran over them with the mulching ride on lawnmower and ended up with a heaped 90lt wheelbarrow of grass clippings and shredded dried leaves which we put around the new corn plants we planted today, some around the ones that had sprouted in another garden, and some around the silver beet seeds we planted last week that are now starting to sprout.

Battling to get enough grass clippings and dried leaves to keep up with the amount of mulch needed as the gardens seem to be eating it and with the hot summer weather here the grass is not growing fast at all.

More gardening done today and we purchased 8 more strawberry plants and a dwarf Imperial Mandarin at a really good price at another nursery. We have planted the strawberries in the front herb garden beds and also had a bit of time to weed 3 more of the front vegetable, herb and berry gardens too . We will keep the mandarin tree in it's pot until we purchase our home.

More work done in the vegetable gardens over the last two days. We have cleared 2 x 7 x 2mt garden beds of spent plants and removed an old what used to be concrete surround for an old chook pen I think that was getting in the way of our ploughing one garden bed. I raked up the wood chip paths in between the two garden beds and DH ploughed both garden beds. Next week we will get a trailer load of horse manure to put in the beds followed by some more cow manure to plough in too.

Went out into the front gardens and planted around a 3 mt row of cucumber seeds and weeded the garden bed too and then DH and I picked 800g of cherry tomatoes from the gardens which we will have as part of salads over the coming days.

@masterspark no doubt we will be saying the same thing when you are in summer in the States and we are in winter over here in Australia :) but that is colder than we get here at -11 oc at the coldest in winter .

It was 17 oc here this morning and 31 oc during the day or 62.6 F - 87.8 F and we are expecting hotter tomorrow. At least though we have the mountain breezes where we are though most of the time.

Last edited:
We had a great day in the gardens today and weeded and mulched the entire front vegetable, herb and berry gardens with our Lucerne hay we got from the local horse stud. I also cut back the sweet potato vines that were growing on the front lawn and trimmed the flowering basil plants near the tomatoes and put the cuttings around the base of the tomato plants to deter fruit fly.

Then out into the back gardens where we planted a 6 mt row of silver beet seeds we soaked in water overnight and watered them in and mulched around where we planted with some more Lucerne hay to keep the moisture in.

Our 2 rows of sweet corn we planted last week are also sprouting yay :D .

We're in zone 7 also. We won't be doing peas because last year the plants were covered in some kind of mite. I guess they were attracted to the sweetness. They even got on my tomatoes. I used insectacidal soap with very little success . I hate having to use sevin, but I even tried that.
If my hubs and I can manage it, (I'm having heel surgery next week), we'll put the cold crops in though. I really want onions, beets, tomatoes, squash and green beans.

@tiffanysgallery sounds like you are well and truly ahead on your planting and hope your crops do really well.

@NannyPatty I have a lot of friends that use a spray of diluted dishwashing liquid on their peas for mites so it might be worth a try, another for the mildew is a diluted solution of milk and water too and you never know that might also work for the mites ?, worth a try.

Hello everyone and been a bit busy in the gardens of late so not been in much.

Yesterday in the 10 x 5 mt back paddock garden bed we planted 1 x 5mt row of sweet corn and 2 x 5 mt rows of pumpkins. Unfortunately the last pumpkin crop didn't make it due to the heat and probably because we didn't have enough mulch on them but we still have time to get a final crop in before winter and the frosts will help cure them better anyway.

In addition to this over the last few days we have mulched all of the 10 x 5 vegetable garden in the back paddock after planting the new crops with the free excess we got with the bale of hay off the horse studs shed floor.

The two of us managed also, and not a small task, to get off the 650kg plus jumbo bale of hay off the trailer and behind the shed on a bed of dried grass clippings. This I think would have made funny videos as the only way we could get this off was for both of us to manhandle the bale into the middle of the trailer and DH bench press the bale from the back with his back firmly pressed up on the back of the trailer wall and using his legs to get the bale partially off the trailer and then we pulled it off the rest of the way using the strings on the side of it.

Where there is a will there is a way and who needs heavy equipment when you have two people as stubborn and independant as us to get things done :D .

Still more gardening work to do today and batch cooking so we could be away for a while yet until we get things sorted and up to date garden and planting wise.

Catch up on the gardening for yesterday is we did another mammoth session and transplanted 2 x 7 mt rows and another 4.5mt row of carrot seedlings into our newly amended garden bed along with a 5 mt row of beetroot seedlings. Once that was done we mulched it all with lots of hay to insulate the soil from the really hot weather we are having.

Today as DH was suffering some back pain and I put him on light duties he helped me to get rid of some split tomatoes on the current tomato vines and we threw them in the bin as the rubbish was being picked up today. I then went around and pruned all of the sweet potato vines that were encroaching on the front footpath and then mulched around a 2 mt section of sweet corn plants with Lucerne hay in another garden bed that needed mulching and put back the woodchip pathways around 2 vegetable garden beds in the house paddock. It looks so much neater and tidier now :D . We then cleaned out the filters on the 2 x 1100lt rainwater tanks in the back yard and no sooner had we finished and down came the glorious rain we have been needing.

Over the last week we have planted a 4.5mt row of turnips today and at the beginning of the week planted a 7 mt row of bush bean strike green beans and today I noticed that the beans are sprouting yay ! . Mid week we squeezed some cherry tomato and larger money maker tomato seeds into the same area we had the others planted but closer to where the basil is and saw they are also sprouting too. Once they get bigger we will thin them out and transplant them at better spaces near the drippers.

@timmie just harvested a lot of herbs and so lovely to have your own you can use fresh and dried in your meals :) .

@Amish Heart that is what takes the most time is preparing the beds and getting the soil right, the planting is the easy bit for us anyway. We prefer the end bit of the harvest but then and again that means lots of work preserving it but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Hello everyone and been a bit busy in the gardens of late so not been in much.

Yesterday in the 10 x 5 mt back paddock garden bed we planted 1 x 5mt row of sweet corn and 2 x 5 mt rows of pumpkins. Unfortunately the last pumpkin crop didn't make it due to the heat and probably because we didn't have enough mulch on them but we still have time to get a final crop in before winter and the frosts will help cure them better anyway.

In addition to this over the last few days we have mulched all of the 10 x 5 vegetable garden in the back paddock after planting the new crops with the free excess we got with the bale of hay off the horse studs shed floor.

The two of us managed also, and not a small task, to get off the 650kg plus jumbo bale of hay off the trailer and behind the shed on a bed of dried grass clippings. This I think would have made funny videos as the only way we could get this off was for both of us to manhandle the bale into the middle of the trailer and DH bench press the bale from the back with his back firmly pressed up on the back of the trailer wall and using his legs to get the bale partially off the trailer and then we pulled it off the rest of the way using the strings on the side of it.

Where there is a will there is a way and who needs heavy equipment when you have two people as stubborn and independant as us to get things done :D .

Still more gardening work to do today and batch cooking so we could be away for a while yet until we get things sorted and up to date garden and planting wise.

This post reminds me of a story about when the Pilgrims came to America from England. The Indians taught them to bury a fish and plant corn, beans, and squash above it. The corn would go for the sun, the beans would climb the corn, the squash would cover the ground, and the fish would feed it all. Three crops with one ground prep.

You can confirm this with Weedy, I think she was there. :huggs:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back