What Has Everyone Been Planting Today ?.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here I am looking for any advice again. I've decided to grow Tumeric, horseradish and ginger. I hear a lot of great things about these roots from recipes to medicinal uses. The reading I've done seems to lean towards these being easy to grow and perrenials?

BTW. I would like to say thank you for everyones patience and advice you all give freely. Also the wonderfully positive way you all seem to take things and are always very uplifting and positive with your recommendations and help. Thanks. You all seem to be a great bunch. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting some of you sometime!

BTW. I would like to say thank you for everyones patience and advice you all give freely. Also the wonderfully positive way you all seem to take things and are always very uplifting and positive with your recommendations and help. Thanks. You all seem to be a great bunch. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting some of you sometime!

:heart: This is a nice site. Maybe it is because people like you flock to it.

Here I am looking for any advice again. I've decided to grow Tumeric, horseradish and ginger. I hear a lot of great things about these roots from recipes to medicinal uses. The reading I've done seems to lean towards these being easy to grow and perrenials?

Let us know how that turns out as I've got a couple herbal books and was thinking of doing the same some day. You may have said already or elsewhere but may I ask what zone your in?

Let us know how that turns out as I've got a couple herbal books and was thinking of doing the same some day. You may have said already or elsewhere but may I ask what zone your in?
I'm in 8b very North Florida. Literally just 30 miles from Georgia south border. Im thinking they should all be .fine here .

@Dutchs try and have a look on the www.gardenate.com website and punch in your area, country and climate zone and it should give you some information on all the herbs you are thinking of growing. Just click on each herb and it should give you some information on them all and give you a month by month planting guide too.

I don't grow any of the ones you are interested in so am flying blind but I do know I am allergic to ginger if that helps :) .

I planted Turmeric today.....I'll just have to wait and see on this one. I got a Panoramic picture of my Garden......It goes down hill but you can zoom and see most everything.....
PANO_20180715_164604.jpg

@Dutchs that is a huge garden and looks wonderful you have done a good job and the produce you are getting out of it is wonderful too. Isn't it wonderful to be somewhat self sufficient in vegetables and to be able to preserve some for other seasons too :) .
It's a lot of fun and keeps me outside too! Thank You.... I really love it and am very blessed to have all the room I have. I keep expanding . I could do a lot more but just can't until I'm there fulltime to care for it all!

I planted out 30 small Cali red capsicum seedlings.

They weren't doing anything in their cups and I figured I had better plant them out
rather than lose them.

I need to replant the beans again.
3 rd times the charm, right?

A complete bust on dill...AGAIN.

I'm unhappy with the Kotlas tomatoes.
Maybe they just aren't getting enough sun in the spot where they are.
Also, it seems they're a "salad" tomato - the size of a ping pong ball.
*sigh*
I'll leave them in but I think I'll plant snake/noodle beans on the same
trellis to up the productivity of that space.
Tomatoes and beans like each other.
Tomatoes and cucumbers don't.

Gherkin cucumbers are doing well.
All 24 plants.

I have baby strawberry plants sprouting in my chili bed.
I planted heirloom strawberries and they died off during last summer.
Obviously they had fruit that rotted into the soil, hence the tiny seedlings.
I put a marker next to them so I can find them again so I can transplant them
into a cleaned and fertilised bed when they get a bit of size on them.
The chili bed is filled with weeds and they seem to be creating the perfect micro climate.
If I pull up the weeds the disruption will kill any emerging strawberry seedlings.
So, I make my peace and be grateful for them.

I planted out 30 small Cali red capsicum seedlings.

They weren't doing anything in their cups and I figured I had better plant them out
rather than lose them.

I need to replant the beans again.
3 rd times the charm, right?

A complete bust on dill...AGAIN.

I'm unhappy with the Kotlas tomatoes.
Maybe they just aren't getting enough sun in the spot where they are.
Also, it seems they're a "salad" tomato - the size of a ping pong ball.
*sigh*
I'll leave them in but I think I'll plant snake/noodle beans on the same
trellis to up the productivity of that space.
Tomatoes and beans like each other.
Tomatoes and cucumbers don't.

Gherkin cucumbers are doing well.
All 24 plants.

I have baby strawberry plants sprouting in my chili bed.
I planted heirloom strawberries and they died off during last summer.
Obviously they had fruit that rotted into the soil, hence the tiny seedlings.
I put a marker next to them so I can find them again so I can transplant them
into a cleaned and fertilised bed when they get a bit of size on them.
The chili bed is filled with weeds and they seem to be creating the perfect micro climate.
If I pull up the weeds the disruption will kill any emerging strawberry seedlings.
So, I make my peace and be grateful for them.
I just was weeding and tilling cleaning up some old rows that the veggies were doing giving and realized there was a whole 100 foot row of strawberries under three foot tall grass and five foot tall weeds! I was amazed that they were actually in very good condition and still growing nice!

@Tank-Girl it has been a bit of a year for replanting a lot of seeds here too. I think it is environmental at the moment the super heat we had in summer and here the frosts and really cold temperatures. As gardeners I think we have to go with the flow and persistence is the key. I have to plant some more silver beet and some more capsicums too but am waiting until this cold snap disappears later in the week to get the best success.

You are not alone and a lot of my gardening friends in both north Qld and in my area are saying the same thing that it has been a difficult season. I am friends with a few apiarists who are saying with the drought that a lot of their hives have been dying and when trees blossom they do not have any nectar in them due to the dry weather. I think this has something to do with the failure rates of some of our crops too.

:LOL:@Dutchs it is truly amazing what we find when we do a bit of weeding isn't it. I do think we have our work cut out for us as the weeds definitely grow faster than the crops most times. We weeded 3 x 9 x 2 mt garden beds yesterday and they look much better now. We have 8 garden beds that size and another one 10 x 5 mts in the back paddock gardens that we have put to sleep for the winter due to the drought here we cannot afford the water to keep that one planted out as well but we did harvest the last of the pumpkins from there though which are on the makeshift root cellar which is the front veranda with 90 % shade cloth covering it.

IMG_20180712_170743.jpg
:LOL:@Dutchs it is truly amazing what we find when we do a bit of weeding isn't it. I do think we have our work cut out for us as the weeds definitely grow faster than the crops most times. We weeded 3 x 9 x 2 mt garden beds yesterday and they look much better now. We have 8 garden beds that size and another one 10 x 5 mts in the back paddock gardens that we have put to sleep for the winter due to the drought here we cannot afford the water to keep that one planted out as well but we did harvest the last of the pumpkins from there though which are on the makeshift root cellar which is the front veranda with 90 % shade cloth covering it.
Especially this year. Early on the rain was on the monsoonal side. I was finally able to do some real tilling and weeding without making mud. I worked myself to exhaustion the last two weekends and was never more satisfied with what I finally got done! I always make plans to do more than humanly possible but rarely get stymed by so many obstacles. I have had some success to though. My flowers are looking great!
IMG_20180715_151239.jpg
IMG_20180715_151217.jpg
IMG_20180715_151203.jpg
IMG_20180715_151154.jpg
IMG_20180714_151717.jpg
IMG_20180714_151644.jpg
IMG_20180714_081826.jpg
IMG_20180714_081937.jpg
IMG_20180712_171013.jpg

It is our way as gardeners @Dutchs to help the wildlife to give them food all year round in the form of pollen. We have bee hives on our property and although we are in drought conditions they go berserk over the lavender, herb and marigold blossoms here as nobody around us plants gardens apart from one gentleman who grows beautiful roses a few doors up.

It is our way as gardeners @Dutchs to help the wildlife to give them food all year round in the form of pollen. We have bee hives on our property and although we are in drought conditions they go berserk over the lavender, herb and marigold blossoms here as nobody around us plants gardens apart from one gentleman who grows beautiful roses a few doors up.
Good for you guys. I see it as we are doing the world a favor. All the right plants aren't just for beauty but they help make nature tick! It's a true thing of beauty. I'm in awe of it every day.

I've been completely skunked in the green bush bean department.
Two dif. varieties in the same spot with better results with the Tendergreen variety of bush bean
but not good enough results to give me a harvest.
Tomorrow is the correct moon phase to plant fruiting plants so I'm replanting the
beans in the front garden in a prime location in the best soil on the property.
3rd times the charm right?

I'll also be planting greens - kale, chard and tatsoi (Asian green) which I will net to keep the butterflies from laying their eggs.
Pumpkins from seed I kept from fruit that showed the best fruit fly resistance.
Jalapeno chili.
I've gotten half a mind to plant some Palmwoods tomato seeds.
Palmwoods is a indeterminate tomato that is shaped like a horn - think pointy ended roma.

I never seem to plant enough snowpeas!
At planting time I always seem to think I've planted a lot and then
at harvest there's never enough.
It possibly don't help that I'm in the row all day grazing on them.
None of them have made it into the house yet.
I adore them when they still have the night time chill on them
first thing in the morning at sun up.
I've still got time left before the proper heat of Summer hits so I might put in another row.

I finally decided all I'm going to plant this week. Red Garnet Amaranth, Sand Mountain Grain Sorghum, Syrup Cane Sorghum, Black Mammoth Sunflower, Procut Red Sunflowers, Evening Colors Sunflowers, Holmes red radishes,April Cross radishes, Johnson county white corn, Late Flat Dutch cabbage, Florida high bush eggplant, Charlvoix Dark Red Kidney beans, A&C pickling cucumbers, Old Zebs Pumpkin , and Howden pumpkin....should be fun!

I finally decided all I'm going to plant this week. Red Garnet Amaranth, Sand Mountain Grain Sorghum, Syrup Cane Sorghum, Black Mammoth Sunflower, Procut Red Sunflowers, Evening Colors Sunflowers, Holmes red radishes,April Cross radishes, Johnson county white corn, Late Flat Dutch cabbage, Florida high bush eggplant, Charlvoix Dark Red Kidney beans, A&C pickling cucumbers, Old Zebs Pumpkin , and Howden pumpkin....should be fun!

May you be blessed with soft, gentle rain and abundant harvests Dutch!

Blessings.

Divided some thyme plants in the gardens and transplanted them in spaces where the others didn't take and have done that with 4 plants so far this week. As they have good root systems on them I am hoping they will fill in the gaps in the garden beds.

Just got all my beds done and planted, ol Zebs Pumpkin, Howden pumpkin, Late Flat Dutch cabbage, Johnson sweet white corn. It decided to do this! Lucky I guess....LOL....
9963d1f4147cacd65cb5d258960638269d4eea92.jpg
Screenshot_20180721-135021.png

View attachment 8203
Especially this year. Early on the rain was on the monsoonal side. I was finally able to do some real tilling and weeding without making mud. I worked myself to exhaustion the last two weekends and was never more satisfied with what I finally got done! I always make plans to do more than humanly possible but rarely get stymed by so many obstacles. I have had some success to though. My flowers are looking great! View attachment 8194 View attachment 8195 View attachment 8196 View attachment 8197 View attachment 8198 View attachment 8199 View attachment 8200 View attachment 8201 View attachment 8202

Beautiful Dutchey. Very inspring seeing how good everyone is doing with crops.

@Dutchs that quite often happens here where I plant new vegetable crops and water the seeds in and then down comes the rain. There is nothing like natural rain water to make your plants grow as long as it isn't torrential flooding rain that is.

@Dutchs that quite often happens here where I plant new vegetable crops and water the seeds in and then down comes the rain. There is nothing like natural rain water to make your plants grow as long as it isn't torrential flooding rain that is.
I was watching a video from a guy called MIgardner, he says that rain actually helps replenish nitrogen in the plants and soil so in his opinion it's even better tahn just watering from our spicots......

Latest posts

Back