What Has Everyone Been Planting Today ?.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I'm getting fair germination on my planted seeds.

Only the watermelons and the spanish collards haven't yet sprouted above the soil.

Today I planted out into grow cubes for the hydroponic system for summer salads-
2 types of nappa- wom bok asian cabbage.
2 types of choy.
Tatsoi.
3 types of lettuce.
Green house cucumbers.
Mammoth dill.
Lemon balm.
Lime, lemon and sweet basil.

Growing salad greens in the hydroponics system is the only way to
have home grown salad in Summer here because it's too hot.

Both my NFT hydroponic systems are in an open shade house roofed with
60% shade cloth and one of the systems is in a insect proof netting hoop house.
Herbs, lettuce and cucumber go in the unnetted system because insects leave them alone.

You are doing well @Tank-Girl with your planting.

Still too cool to plant here at the moment as we are still getting frosts but am still getting a lot of vegetables from the plants we have in the garden at the moment. Might try and plant some more cherry tomato seeds in the gardens this week as they are rather frost resistant and should come up after the frosts are finished.

@Meerkat the green will be great they just give and give especially beans and lettuce.

@Tank-Girl what type of pumpkins are you planting ?, and can never have enough beans growing.

@MoBookworm1957 great you planted the beans before the rain storm they should flourish along with the flowers and lettuce you are planning to plant tomorrow.

@Meerkat the green will be great they just give and give especially beans and lettuce.

@Tank-Girl what type of pumpkins are you planting ?, and can never have enough beans growing.

@MoBookworm1957 great you planted the beans before the rain storm they should flourish along with the flowers and lettuce you are planning to plant tomorrow.

I'm growing Kent (Jap) pumpkins. They're tried and true here. They don't get stung by fruit fly because they have a hard shell as very young fruit, disease and heat resistant and they produce a lot and they are beautiful and sweet esp. when roasted. I saved seeds from last year's bumper crops from pumpkin that were blemish free.
I'm trialling golden nugget bush pumpkins to see how they cope with summer conditions.

The beans I'm growing are Rattlesnake beans. I saw that Deep South Homestead on YT grew them and they did very well under
harsh conditions so I thought I'd try them as a summer bean instead of the Asian snake beans which I don't like.

we have been planting clemson spineless okra and it's not doing as well as we would like, so next year we are going to plant star of david. we are also going to try new to us some peanuts and red ripper peas. of course hubby is going to plant his favorite black crowder peas. when i was growing up all my dad would plant was pink eye purple hull. and lady finger peas but i also like the black crowder peas. they will bear until frost if you can keep the bugs off. they are also excellant for fall gardens.

I am waiting on a tomato seed order to turn up.
*yes, another one!*

Kellogg's Breakfast tomato - Yellow Beefsteak slicer. It's suppose to be the best tasting yellow beefsteak.
Soldaki- Pink Beefsteak Slicer. It's suppose to taste better and be more productive than pink Brandywine.
Blue Ridge Mountain - Red Beefsteak Slicer. It's suppose to be very resistant to heat, humidity and the diseases that brings.

I got two cups of the new ( horrible) variety of Rosella seeds that I saved. These bushes are huge and they produce a lot of
wood so I'm going to be planting them as a fuel source with a bonus harvest of calyxes I can harvest to dry for tea or cordial.

I'm still planting pumpkin seeds and I may plant more Broad Yellow Ripple Currant cherry tomatoes because the ones I planted
haven't came up yet.

I still have to get the beds ready for the sweet potato slips but energy is in short supply at the moment.

@timmie I googled the crowder peas and they look interesting being a dark purple pea and it is good to try new and different plants to see what suits in your area and whether they grow well. The only peas I have seen that we grow here are green peas so I thought the other colours were really cool :).

Let me know how the beefsteak slicer tomatoes go for you @Tank-Girl we need a heat resistant variety to grow here for our summers too and being a large variety of tomato DH I know would be interested in growing them. Personally I like the taste of the cherry tomatoes as they seem to be more of a robust tomato for this area than the larger tomato varieties but I might yet change my mind :) .

Yesterday DH and I picked the best specimens of the cherry tomatoes and money maker tomatoes and planted in 2 holes around the drippers for each for our next crop as the frosts seem to be subsiding. While we were at it we weeded 2 x 9 x 2 mt garden beds and removed the spent tomato plants left over from the previous crop with the garden beds weeded being the sweet potato bed and the other where the broad beans and tomato seeds have been planted. Amazing even in drought you still get mountains of weeds unfortunately but we do need to re mulch all of the garden beds out the front because they have eaten it.

@timmie I googled the crowder peas and they look interesting being a dark purple pea and it is good to try new and different plants to see what suits in your area and whether they grow well. The only peas I have seen that we grow here are green peas so I thought the other colours were really cool :).

Let me know how the beefsteak slicer tomatoes go for you @Tank-Girl we need a heat resistant variety to grow here for our summers too and being a large variety of tomato DH I know would be interested in growing them. Personally I like the taste of the cherry tomatoes as they seem to be more of a robust tomato for this area than the larger tomato varieties but I might yet change my mind :) .
Crowder peas are very similar to blk eyed peas! Delicious!

@NannyPatty just getting into storing a lot of dried peas and beans and learning how to cook them and use them in food so we started off with chickpeas and will work our way to others. Have to look into whether we can get the seeds to plant in the gardens here and whether they suit our climate being temperate.

Planted some beans before the rain(storm).
Will plant lettuce,mums tomorrow before the next set of storms come through.

It rains here too much now. It makes watering seem fun it has been so long since we had more than a couple days sun.
So we will pull out the polyurathane aka plastic so rain doesn't beat the tiny seeds to death. Had to do the same thing last Fall.
We use PVC pipe hoops to lay it over. Wasn't even going to have a garden this Fall but can't let weather control us I guess.

@NannyPatty just getting into storing a lot of dried peas and beans and learning how to cook them and use them in food so we started off with chickpeas and will work our way to others. Have to look into whether we can get the seeds to plant in the gardens here and whether they suit our climate being temperate.
Blk eyed pea and chick peas don’t look alike. Blk eyed peas do well in warmer temps as Long as they’re kept watered. If you can’t get them there, let me know and I’ll send you some. They are very prolific once the get started.

I got the seeds from this site SC.
https://rangeviewseeds.com.au/98-Tomato-Seeds

My order just turned up and this business always sends a extra surprise gift pack of seeds with every order to say thank you.
This order I got a packet of butter lettuce seeds.

This morning we planted Broccoli, Kale and Turnip greens. Wasn't going to plant this Fall because of so much rain and it is not letting up but decided to try anyway.
So we have plastic laying beside raised bed so we can cover it when it rains.
Now will start seeds inside for containers. Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash,

This morning we planted Broccoli, Kale and Turnip greens. Wasn't going to plant this Fall because of so much rain and it is not letting up but decided to try anyway.
So we have plastic laying beside raised bed so we can cover it when it rains.
Now will start seeds inside for containers. Tomatoes, Peppers, Squash,
The rain has been insane. We got 2 inches late yesterday and forecast to rain through the holiday. I have some stuff growing but have had several things wash away or seeds rot in the ground. Tough year....

The rain has been insane. We got 2 inches late yesterday and forecast to rain through the holiday. I have some stuff growing but have had several things wash away or seeds rot in the ground. Tough year....

It has rained here since last Fall.
We put plastic up and will cover it when rains come. Hope that will work but still not mush sunshine so not sure how that will affect it either.

This is what we are trying, Hoops made with pvc pipes driven into ground into larger pvc pipes.

xhaUmL0.jpg

Last edited:
Good to hear all of your gardens are powering and you have all planted some nice vegetable seeds.

Yesterday as we are still cold and frosty DH and I planted white onions, red and golden California capsicum seeds, carrots and cucumbers into pots to give them a head start for when the weather warms a bit so we can transplant them into the gardens. We have them sitting on the veranda under the eaves so the frost doesn't get to them too.

Had a bit of a tour of plant nurseries and dropped in and saw one we hadn't seen before. We are planning ahead for when we move to have all our fruit trees ready to plant int he ground when we buy our home. They had some wonderful plants in there and we learnt they now have a dwarf variety of bay tree which was interesting. We will save up and buy a few each month and pop them along with fruit trees on the veranda until they get bigger.

Good to hear all of your gardens are powering and you have all planted some nice vegetable seeds.

Yesterday as we are still cold and frosty DH and I planted white onions, red and golden California capsicum seeds, carrots and cucumbers into pots to give them a head start for when the weather warms a bit so we can transplant them into the gardens. We have them sitting on the veranda under the eaves so the frost doesn't get to them too.

Had a bit of a tour of plant nurseries and dropped in and saw one we hadn't seen before. We are planning ahead for when we move to have all our fruit trees ready to plant int he ground when we buy our home. They had some wonderful plants in there and we learnt they now have a dwarf variety of bay tree which was interesting. We will save up and buy a few each month and pop them along with fruit trees on the veranda until they get bigger.
Dwarf Bay tree? Because this is my first rodeo at fruit trees and gardens please tell me. It seems it would be likely but is a Bay tree where you get Bay leaves from for pickling and recipes? Im wondering it is......can they grow in Florida. I would be very, very interested in planting some!

More rain today. It's dumping 2 inches or so every afternoon now. It's horrible. Florida thunderstorms always seem to have horrible straight line winds and my corn keeps getting knocked over. So I just shored them up with dirt around the base and they seem ok. Lucky it hasn't riped the roots up yet. It did flip a pumpkin vine all the way to the opposite side of the mound though. Just crazy year.....

SC, are you going to get to start your new house anytime soon?

This morning I prepped the ground and planted over 20 sweet potato slips and I'm now beat.

I was going to spread wood chips under my clothes line and around the bottom of my stairs but
it got too hot too early this morning and I had to plant the sweet potatoes.

Soon it'll be time for midday cold showers to survive the killing heat.

@NannyPatty we are hoping to reach our savings target in 1 yr - 18 months on building our home and getting a home loan for the remainder. The ridiculous banking loan stress tests are something to behold over here and it is making getting a loan by anyone almost impossible unless you have a very large deposit. Still all good as it means less bank interest, lower repayments and a shorter loan term for us to have to deal with.

@joel hope everything you plant thrives.:)

@Dutchs yes the bay trees supply the bay leaves you cook and used for preserving too :) . You can also use a couple of bay leaves in your food storage containers with grains and flours to stop weevils and they also help with vacuum sealing of grains in soda bottles. With whether you can grow bay leaves in your area check www.gardenate.com and punch in your location and climate type and see. It gives you a month by month planting guide to see when to plant most things or ask other gardeners on there in the questions section and they will tell you too.

Your awesome
@NannyPatty we are hoping to reach our savings target in 1 yr - 18 months on building our home and getting a home loan for the remainder. The ridiculous banking loan stress tests are something to behold over here and it is making getting a loan by anyone almost impossible unless you have a very large deposit. Still all good as it means less bank interest, lower repayments and a shorter loan term for us to have to deal with.

@joel hope everything you plant thrives.:)

@Dutchs yes the bay trees supply the bay leaves you cook and used for preserving too :) . You can also use a couple of bay leaves in your food storage containers with grains and flours to stop weevils and they also help with vacuum sealing of grains in soda bottles. With whether you can grow bay leaves in your area check www.gardenate.com and punch in your location and climate type and see. It gives you a month by month planting guide to see when to plant most things or ask other gardeners on there in the questions section and they will tell you too.
Your awesome SC 15. I so appreciate all the help you are. I really hope you guys get your new home. That's just got to be the most satisfying thing we do as adults. Rain our kids and working towards our dreams out of life. Very cool. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back