What I sewed today.

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't normally sew cloths but a princess dress was a request from oldest granddaughter for her birthday. I ran out of the dark purple tulle so Need to go back to the draft store for more. I am doing this so it is a step in stretchy dress since she is turning 5 and this is or dress up play. I would like to find some sort of stretchy band for the waist but haven't found it yet. It would be nice if it could have flowers. I also got some small dark purple flowers that have a jeweled center to put on the light panels of the skirt. I would like to find some sparkly jewels for the dark purple.
IMG_20200922_230151.jpg
Anyone tried making the tulle flowers? I saw there was a YouTube video on it. Didn't watch it though. I am thinking about making and just attach them to elastic for the waistband.

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't normally sew cloths but a princess dress was a request from oldest granddaughter for her birthday. I ran out of the dark purple tulle so Need to go back to the draft store for more. I am doing this so it is a step in stretchy dress since she is turning 5 and this is or dress up play. I would like to find some sort of stretchy band for the waist but haven't found it yet. It would be nice if it could have flowers. I also got some small dark purple flowers that have a jeweled center to put on the light panels of the skirt. I would like to find some sparkly jewels for the dark purple.
View attachment 50767
Anyone tried making the tulle flowers? I saw there was a YouTube video on it. Didn't watch it though. I am thinking about making and just attach them to elastic for the waistband.
Looks wonderful,l Dani.
Not me on tulle flowers.
I sometimes have trouble making parts for felt flowers.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I ended up stressing that she wouldn't be able to wear it for long being a pull over style since she seems to be shooting up like a weed. Today I ripped out a side seam and put in a zipper. Then ended up hand sewing all the little flowers with pearl centers and the silver waistband. Still need to attach the sparkly gemstones, but when I packed up my little craft room to get Granny moved in, my glue gun went down to the storage by the shop on the other end of the property. I know all our stuff went to the very back. . . Stacked all the way up to the ceiling. I think it would be easier to just go buy another one, but next week I will try to look for it.

When I went to the craft store to find some more of the dark purple tulle they didn't have any left. . . panic mode. I didn't want to have to wait for them to get another shipment. So I found a medium purple. Took off the ends of the panel dark pieces and inserted the medium at both end panels. Used the dark piecese I took off for the ones I didn'r have enough for and the medium panels were just enough. This dress has been a trial and error for me but I still think it is turning out pretty good for not doing this very often. I mean I have made a few costumes before and a skirt for me but will admit quilts are so much easier!! Even though I would have never thought that before I actually did one! :)

IMG_20200926_172736.jpg

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have made several aprons and either I don't like how they wear or they don't fit. The last 2 or 3 have been "small" and fit my mom who is very large chested and about twice my size. I finally found a vintage one online and the shop owner was kind enough to take a couple extra measurements for me so I bought it and made my own pattern from it. It was in really rough shape or I would use it too. Here's mine~
IMG_3795.jpg

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Attempting to make dress to wear for oldest son's wedding 2 October 2021.
3 times I have tried to make this dress and 3 times I have failed.
This pattern I liked the best, but body has changed shape(due to stress and weight gain)Simplicity 8024.
Also tried patterns Mc Calls 9598, and Butterick 5634.
Still no dress that fits well or flows nicely.
Not even going to touch the Emerald green satin, I have been saving for a special dress.
Tried the Simplicity 8024 in Sage Linen Peach skin waist was little snug.
And had trouble with the zipper.
Maybe if I could find Peach skin in a color that looks good on me.
And make it a size bigger without the zipper it will still have a beautiful drape.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We called those bibs. My grandpa used one till the day he died. He ALWAYS got food on himself somehow. If he was eating something as simple as a ham n cheese sandwich he'd have mayo on his shirt.....
Many of my shirts end up with stains from food dropping while I'm eating. I have more recently taken to wearing an apron when I eat to help prevent the staining.

Latest posts