What I sewed today.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't normally sew cloths but a princess dress was a request from oldest granddaughter for her birthday. I ran out of the dark purple tulle so Need to go back to the draft store for more. I am doing this so it is a step in stretchy dress since she is turning 5 and this is or dress up play. I would like to find some sort of stretchy band for the waist but haven't found it yet. It would be nice if it could have flowers. I also got some small dark purple flowers that have a jeweled center to put on the light panels of the skirt. I would like to find some sparkly jewels for the dark purple.
IMG_20200922_230151.jpg

Anyone tried making the tulle flowers? I saw there was a YouTube video on it. Didn't watch it though. I am thinking about making and just attach them to elastic for the waistband.

I don't normally sew cloths but a princess dress was a request from oldest granddaughter for her birthday. I ran out of the dark purple tulle so Need to go back to the draft store for more. I am doing this so it is a step in stretchy dress since she is turning 5 and this is or dress up play. I would like to find some sort of stretchy band for the waist but haven't found it yet. It would be nice if it could have flowers. I also got some small dark purple flowers that have a jeweled center to put on the light panels of the skirt. I would like to find some sparkly jewels for the dark purple.
View attachment 50767
Anyone tried making the tulle flowers? I saw there was a YouTube video on it. Didn't watch it though. I am thinking about making and just attach them to elastic for the waistband.
Looks wonderful,l Dani.
Not me on tulle flowers.
I sometimes have trouble making parts for felt flowers.

I ended up stressing that she wouldn't be able to wear it for long being a pull over style since she seems to be shooting up like a weed. Today I ripped out a side seam and put in a zipper. Then ended up hand sewing all the little flowers with pearl centers and the silver waistband. Still need to attach the sparkly gemstones, but when I packed up my little craft room to get Granny moved in, my glue gun went down to the storage by the shop on the other end of the property. I know all our stuff went to the very back. . . Stacked all the way up to the ceiling. I think it would be easier to just go buy another one, but next week I will try to look for it.

When I went to the craft store to find some more of the dark purple tulle they didn't have any left. . . panic mode. I didn't want to have to wait for them to get another shipment. So I found a medium purple. Took off the ends of the panel dark pieces and inserted the medium at both end panels. Used the dark piecese I took off for the ones I didn'r have enough for and the medium panels were just enough. This dress has been a trial and error for me but I still think it is turning out pretty good for not doing this very often. I mean I have made a few costumes before and a skirt for me but will admit quilts are so much easier!! Even though I would have never thought that before I actually did one! :)

IMG_20200926_172736.jpg

I have made several aprons and either I don't like how they wear or they don't fit. The last 2 or 3 have been "small" and fit my mom who is very large chested and about twice my size. I finally found a vintage one online and the shop owner was kind enough to take a couple extra measurements for me so I bought it and made my own pattern from it. It was in really rough shape or I would use it too. Here's mine~
IMG_3795.jpg

Attempting to make dress to wear for oldest son's wedding 2 October 2021.
3 times I have tried to make this dress and 3 times I have failed.
This pattern I liked the best, but body has changed shape(due to stress and weight gain)Simplicity 8024.
Also tried patterns Mc Calls 9598, and Butterick 5634.
Still no dress that fits well or flows nicely.
Not even going to touch the Emerald green satin, I have been saving for a special dress.
Tried the Simplicity 8024 in Sage Linen Peach skin waist was little snug.
And had trouble with the zipper.
Maybe if I could find Peach skin in a color that looks good on me.
And make it a size bigger without the zipper it will still have a beautiful drape.

We called those bibs. My grandpa used one till the day he died. He ALWAYS got food on himself somehow. If he was eating something as simple as a ham n cheese sandwich he'd have mayo on his shirt.....
Many of my shirts end up with stains from food dropping while I'm eating. I have more recently taken to wearing an apron when I eat to help prevent the staining.

The wife is making new cushions to go onto an old rocking chair (bought used in late 1970's, all the babies were rocked in it), the chair is black with gold pen-striping type art work on it and she is making the cushions in a gold fabric. I made the pattern and helped her cut the materials (it is very heavy like cutting 2 layers of denim only streachy)... She loves the chair but now days the wooden seat and back do not make her back happy.... These should make it much more in line with her current needs.

The wife is making new cushions to go onto an old rocking chair (bought used in late 1970's, all the babies were rocked in it), the chair is black with gold pen-striping type art work on it and she is making the cushions in a gold fabric. I made the pattern and helped her cut the materials (it is very heavy like cutting 2 layers of denim only streachy)... She loves the chair but now days the wooden seat and back do not make her back happy.... These should make it much more in line with her current needs.
You'll have to share a pix when she gets it finished.
@MoBookworm1957 Wowza! You've been busy. So when you said before you were working on a bug quilt, I thought Oh sweet. That is CUTE! I love that the bugs are in jars - clever 💕 They are all nice, but I just think that's so darn cute.
And yes living in a town with that many quilt and yarn shops might be dangerous - heehee.

I sewed a rip in a bag and im absolutely so new to sewing so If there any books or advice I want to learn but so new at it lol
There is a "singer" book (I think that's it) that I have a copy of and got one for my daughter too (24yrs old). She said it was useful too. It's really good for the basics and I see it every so often at thrift shops. I will verify the name and post it here.

Novice needs sewing advice... Last winter the pup was still a pup and spent most winter nights inside. He's staying outside this winter so I needed a cheap pad for his igloo dog house.

The large pads at the store was $39. The medium pads were $10. So I got two mediums and intend to sew them together.

Anyone have suggestions or pointers for this project? 2 mediums pads are even larger than the large size. I thought I would sew the long sides together.

I have canvas/tarp thread and large needles plus a good assortment or normal sized threads and needles.

dog bed 1 a.JPG

Novice needs sewing advice... Last winter the pup was still a pup and spent most winter nights inside. He's staying outside this winter so I needed a cheap pad for his igloo dog house.

The large pads at the store was $39. The medium pads were $10. So I got two mediums and intend to sew them together.

Anyone have suggestions or pointers for this project? 2 mediums pads are even larger than the large size. I thought I would sew the long sides together.

I have canvas/tarp thread and large needles plus a good assortment or normal sized threads and needles.

View attachment 75703
I would suggest using a tight whip stitch with canvas thread and a strong needle.
I usually use leather working needle because it's stronger.
Also have on hand pair of pliers to help pull needle through.
I like needle nose pliers usually.
Just my 2 cents.

I second what Mo said - whipstitch. I don't think you'll need the awl unless the fabric is really course. A strong needle should do. Depending on all, you might want a leather glove for pushing the needle through just to save your thumb or hand - if it's tough fabric to stitch.

I second what Mo said - whipstitch. I don't think you'll need the awl unless the fabric is really course. A strong needle should do. Depending on all, you might want a leather glove for pushing the needle through just to save your thumb or hand - if it's tough fabric to stitch.
Can I "third" what Mo said? The only other thing I would suggest is to stitch a knot into your whipstitch every few inches. That way, even if your thread breaks, the whole thing won't come apart and it will be easier to fix.

Can I "third" what Mo said? The only other thing I would suggest is to stitch a knot into your whipstitch every few inches. That way, even if your thread breaks, the whole thing won't come apart and it will be easier to fix.

How do I stitch the knot? I know lots of rope knots and a few fishing knots. In the past I've run into this before, not knowing knots using in sewing. All my usual "go to" knots don't work.

How do I stitch the knot? I know lots of rope knots and a few fishing knots. In the past I've run into this before, not knowing knots using in sewing. All my usual "go to" knots don't work.
Any knot would work, but usually even a half-hitch. It's just to keep it from pulling through if the thread/string breaks in a spot. Then it won't all be undone, just the area between the two knots - less to repair.

Any knot would work, but usually even a half-hitch. It's just to keep it from pulling through if the thread/string breaks in a spot. Then it won't all be undone, just the area between the two knots - less to repair.
Exactly! I usually do a double half-hitch, just to keep the first half-hitch from loosening.

Exactly! I usually do a double half-hitch, just to keep the first half-hitch from loosening.
I agree with both of them also.

I've been sewing regular kitchen aprons, harvest aprons, clothespin bags, and now have washed fabric for a butcher apron or two. Getting ready for a holiday market - haven't done one in years. I'm so out of touch with what it in fashion it could go either way. I'm looking forward to it though.

Back