What I sewed today.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stitched a pants leg seam back in place on a pair of dress pants on Thursday. Hadn’t worn them since spring (heavier fabric). I guess I was using whipstitch.
There are a few tree ornaments I want to make to give for Christmas, requires sewing.
@LadyLocust you used to be a vendor at holiday markets? Those are always fun. Reminds me there is probably one going on this weekend at the First Monday. (Doesn’t happen on Mondays, but the weekend before the first Monday of any month. Texas for ya). I wish you could post photos of your handiwork.

Stitched a pants leg seam back in place on a pair of dress pants on Thursday. Hadn’t worn them since spring (heavier fabric). I guess I was using whipstitch.
There are a few tree ornaments I want to make to give for Christmas, requires sewing.
@LadyLocust you used to be a vendor at holiday markets? Those are always fun. Reminds me there is probably one going on this weekend at the First Monday. (Doesn’t happen on Mondays, but the weekend before the first Monday of any month. Texas for ya). I wish you could post photos of your handiwork.
First Monday and Christmas on the square today in Weatherford Tx!

2 sizes of butcher aprons then harvest/gathering aprons (made 3 different colors)
Butcher apron.jpg
IMG_4125.jpg

Kitchen aprons of different kinds and clothes pin bags
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4126.jpg

I made some linen hand towels too but didn't get a pix 😊 Nevermind the beans on the table - haha.

@LadyLocust Have you made “non” paper towels? I’ve been looking around at making some. Supposedly flannel is the thing to use.
Oh yea. I haven't bought paper towels in probably about a decade. I don't buy fabric for them though. If you are just starting, go to a thrift store and get an all cotton sheet - doesn't matter what size. Cut the hems off all 4 sides. Snip about every 12" and tear! (Also good for getting frustration out 🤪) Then with each of those wide strips go through and snip the edges at 12" and tear. Fold and put wherever you plan to keep them. I have a Stirling bowl on my counter that they go in so they are handy. Hubby wears cotton button up shirts and often tears or burns up the front but the backs are still good. I get 4 "paper" towels out of the back of one of his shirts. I don't care what color etc. they are. If one gets gross, so be it. It's okay to throw one away. Most of the time it's just for wiping up something on the counter or wiping your hands etc. so they get tossed in the laundry basket. Oh and a funny thing: we still call them paper towels 😂

View attachment 76921
Another rag quilt headed for multiple washes.
I have to tell you an almost funny rag quilt story. I've tried making a rag quilt twice. The first time all flannel, soft, cozy - bleh! I couldn't finish it. Gave it to my mom to finish and give away. She doesn't mind and seems to know people who get married or have babies or whatever. Well, a few years past and by that time I had misplaced my marbles yet again and thought I'd do one with plaid flannel and denim. I think I made it a little further in the process but there it sat for some months. Mom called stating a young gal she knew found out she was having twins and they were taking them early so she was panicked that she wouldn't be able to make quilts in time. They found out it was a boy and a girl. I told her I had one over half way finished if she wanted it which she did. She gave the one I started to the little boy and she only had to make a girl one and finish up the boy one - saved her some work. I get so bored with them. I might be a slow learner, but I know I don't want to start another one. And needless to say, I don't have a rag quilt of my own 😂

I have to tell you an almost funny rag quilt story. I've tried making a rag quilt twice. The first time all flannel, soft, cozy - bleh! I couldn't finish it. Gave it to my mom to finish and give away. She doesn't mind and seems to know people who get married or have babies or whatever. Well, a few years past and by that time I had misplaced my marbles yet again and thought I'd do one with plaid flannel and denim. I think I made it a little further in the process but there it sat for some months. Mom called stating a young gal she knew found out she was having twins and they were taking them early so she was panicked that she wouldn't be able to make quilts in time. They found out it was a boy and a girl. I told her I had one over half way finished if she wanted it which she did. She gave the one I started to the little boy and she only had to make a girl one and finish up the boy one - saved her some work. I get so bored with them. I might be a slow learner, but I know I don't want to start another one. And needless to say, I don't have a rag quilt of my own 😂
There is another thing about being challenged to finish some projects. There are many people who have a form of A.D.D. and have never been diagnosed or even realize it. There are about 7 variations of it. Having difficulty finishing projects is a symptom for some. I'm not saying you do, but it is a thought.

I have made 10 plus now and have 2 left to finish. All flannel. Seems everyone loves them so that’s what drove me to make them. I really need to make one more for our trailer. I already made one for each bunk and had planned on making one for the master bed. Maybe that will be my final one. Or I may NEVER make more again. I am growing a hatred for them 😂.

I used the whip stitch someone mentioned the other day. Thanks again. Instead of sewing the 2 dog cushions together I decided one was enough for the dog house. So, I cut about 2ft of paracord. I sewed the center 4 inches of the 550 to the seam on the end of the cushion, using the whip stitch.

This left the 2 ends of the 550 hanging free. This plastic igloo dog house has a row of small vent holes in the bottom rear. I fed the ends through the holes then tied a good knot. This way... the dog can't pull the cushion out of the dog house.

I got the dog a cushion last winter. The next day it was scattered over the yard in a million pieces. If he tears up this one he has to get in the dog house to do it. Maybe he'll get tired and take a nap.:rolleyes:

I got the cushions a few weeks ago. Every time I've let the pup in the house I've taught him to lay on the cushions, he sleeps there sometimes. Maybe he'll understand... sleep, no eat!.

One my favorite work shirts had torn at the seams.

Before
View attachment 76986

After
View attachment 76987

No need to get new one that will probably trash the first day I wear it.

Ben
I was talking with friends at a dog park yesterday, about how we do not like to go shopping, but would rather wear some things for far too long. I thought it was just me, but a friend used to run marathons, a number of years ago, and still wears those shoes. No tread left on them. Is she poor? Oh, no. She has a nice home with a pool, spa, etc. Some pieces of clothing are like old friends.

Don't think I'm ADD. I can focus for long periods of time, am usually pretty relaxed, finish lots of other things - just not rag quilts ;)
I think I am. Daughter has it and if someone has it, one of their parents has it, according to her psychologist, the top ADD person in our area. She doesn't think her Dad did, so that leaves me, with many unfinished projects! I know that is not the only symptom, but it can be.

I finally got to play at the sewing machine today. It has been a while. I began an apron for my mom but ran out of thread for that so moved on to a tote I've had the fabric sitting out and ready for 2-3 years 😖 Anyhoo, one less thing. It's a nice large one. I might try to sell it & if it doesn't sell just use it myself. Will see.
69906555654__35339C47-D345-4105-A0C2-5EAEA8A34F8C.jpg

LadyLocust
I am working on vests, and my pattern is for S,M,L. I need an x-lg and a xx-lg

Here is the pattern, except it shows the back panel as 2 pcs Itnis one pcs

My question, if I increase the width of the back panel 1” on both sides (2” total). Will that be sufficient? And to get to xxlg increase 2” each side?

image.jpg

LadyLocust

My question, if I increase the width of the back panel 1” on both sides (2” total). Will that be sufficient? And to get to xxlg increase 2” each side?

View attachment 104771
Or should I increase the width of the front panel 1” and back panel 1”

I see you're working in leather. Perhaps make one out of muslin to test the sizing increases. Use spray starch to stiffen the fabric to make it more like working in your final materials.

I have a book somewhere in my sewing stuff on grading patterns up/down. I'll take a look for it after work today.

LadyLocust

View attachment 104771
Had a family event today so just saw this. I’m on my phone so can’t see it well or type well so will look when we get home. Didn’t want you to think I was ignoring you 😁

@Frodo Yeah, you would need to do both the front and back pieces. I will attach a quick picture below at where you make increases/decreases - both width and length. If you have the 3 sizes, (if it was me) I would make a paper pattern of each of the sizes so you can see where and how much the sizes vary then can increase each of those points by that much yet again. Like @Tommyice mentioned, might make a mock up. I use Hubby's old work jeans for leather mock ups. One thing to keep in mind is sometimes the larger sizes are due to height as well as weight so length it might be necessary to make it a little longer. As a guide, a comfortable "fit" is whatever the person's measurement is (around) plus 2"-4" depending on what is worn under it and size of person. Hope that helps. If anything doesn't make sense, feel free to say, "Huh?"
IMG_5444.jpg

Latest posts

Back