What If Yellowstone's Supervolcano Erupted?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2019/10/10/what_if_yellowstones_supervolcano_erupted.html

What If Yellowstone's Supervolcano Erupted?

By Ross Pomeroy - RCP Staff
October 10, 2019

With its spouting geysers, majestic mountains, awe-inspiring waterfalls, and panoramic views, Yellowstone National Park has the undeniable power to uplift.

But it also has an unparalleled potential to destroy.

Concealed beneath the park rests the Yellowstone Caldera, the largest supervolcano in North America. Each year, millions of visitors trek over a massive magma chamber that, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), stretches from 5 km to 17 km beneath the surface and is about 90 km long and about 40 km wide. A little deeper rests another chamber that's 4.5 times larger.

The Yellowstone supervolcano has unleashed three cataclysmic eruptions in the past 2.1 million years; all well before humans populated North America. The most recent was 640,000 years ago, which formed Yellowstone as we know it and spewed 240 cubic miles of ash, rock and pyroclastic materials over roughly half of what is now the United States.

490172_5_.jpg

Metrodyne at English Wikipedia
So what would happen if Yellowstone erupted again?

Science writer Bryan Walsh explored the subject in frightening detail in his recently-published book End Times: A Brief Guide to the End of the World. As he described, Yellowstone National Park would literally be erased from the face of the continent.

"First would come a swarm of increasingly intense earthquakes, a sign that magma was rushing toward the surface. The pressure would build until, like champagne in a bottle given a vigorous shake, the magma would burst through the ground in a titanic eruption that would discharge the toxic innards of the Earth to the air. It would continue for days, burying Yellowstone in lava within a forty-mile radius of the eruption."

The devastation would not be restricted to the local environment. Yellowstone's plume of ash, lava, and volcanic gases would reach a height of fifteen miles or more, and from this lofty position, be blown across North America. Ash would darken the skies and blanket the ground from coast to coast, with up to three feet of ashfall in the Northern Rockies and a few inches over much of the Midwest. Citizens might be mildly amused at first at the "black snow," but they'd soon realize the danger it presents. Walsh painted a bleak picture.

"Hospitals would be choked with victims coughing up blood as the silicate in the ash slashed at their lungs."

The heavy ash would collapse roofs, contaminate water supplies, down power lines, prevent air travel, and perhaps even take out electrical transformers, bringing the nation's power grid to its knees. Worse still, ashfall would likely wipe out the Midwest's crop of corn and soybeans, should the eruption occur during the grow season. Much of America's rich farmland might also be poisoned for a generation. Combine this with a likely worldwide volcanic winter, in which global average temperatures could plunge as much as 18 degrees Fahrenheit for a decade, and you have a recipe for a global starvation event that could endanger hundreds of millions of people.

"[A Yellowstone supervolcano] would be the first truly continental-scale disaster..." Walsh wrote. "In every past catastrophe – hurricanes, earthquakes, floods – most of the United States remained untouched, which meant safe parts could divert aid to and take in refugees from affected regions. But no corner of the continental U.S. would be exempt from the effects of a supervolcano."

If you want to put a dollar cost on it, "a FEMA estimate pegged the total damage to the United States from a Yellowstone supervolcano at $3 trillion, some 16 percent of the country's GDP," Walsh added.

So what are the chances that this could actually happen?

Thankfully, very low. The USGS estimates the probability at 1 in 730,000 in any given year. There's also a good chance that shifting tectonic plates in North America have eliminated the chance of an eruption altogether by forcing the magma hot spot under Yellowstone to encounter colder, energy-sapping rocks.

More good news: the USGS monitors Yellowstone closely for any signs of an impending eruption. Their precaution could alert us to such an event years in advance, which would at least grant us time to prepare.

There have been some discussions at NASA about boring into Yellowstone's magma chambers and pumping in cold water to cool the system and quell the risk of an eruption, but this plan is wishful thinking at best. Still, the estimated cost of $3.5 billion seems a pittance to the existential threat that Yellowstone presents. It might just be worth it...

Let's see. If Yellowstone had a full eruption everything and everyone within 100 miles would be dead. 100 miles from that radius ash would cover everything about 4 feet deep every day for as long as the eruption continued. The Sulfur Dioxide would be hurled into the stratosphere causing winters that last all year and less sun as the sulfur and ash circled the globe. It would likely start an ice age covering at least the norther hemisphere and perhaps the entire earth. The eruption could go on for months and ash would fall around the globe. Most of the ash will reach as far as Tennessee with less from there east. being 280 miles west of the volcano will buy me a little time but after the first year you won't be able to grow plants and the animals will die. What you have stored will determine how long you live. That is one scenario that you can't move to get away from unless you can grow crops and raise animals on Mars.

A "small" super volcano is 10,000 times as powerful as Mount Saint Helens. Yellowstone is the second largest super volcano in the world.

I did a bunch of reading about this before I wrote a fiction book a few years ago. It is difficult to find any "experts" agreeing about what would happen if Yellowstone did erupt. The experts had very differing views about how bad things would be from very little impact to an extinction event.

I have wondered how many people had ash from Mt. St. Helens? I was living in Indiana at the time, and really have no memory of it. Maybe there was no effect there.
I was in Seattle at the time and I watched the news and listened to the shortwave while plotting the ash fall cloud. It was up to me to alert the group to get out or stay.
The winds were favorable and we got to stay put but it was a reminder that our group was ready.
Othello, Wenatchee, the tri-cities, and Walla Walla all got at least 6 inches and in some places 12 inches fell.
It was a problem for animals, people and vehicles. Engines that sucked ash in wore out in a few hours.

As SD points out, it doesn't have to be a super volcano to be a problem. I too remember Mt. St. Helens. Equipment was being shipped from Alaska to do the work due to the massive amount of repairs and the the number of engines that wore out due to ash. Special air filters were adapted to equipment and vehicles. Similar problems occurred where I live, when my dad was stationed here. Today I have permanent, cleanable, air filters on two of the three vehicles because air filters will disappear faster than the food on the shelf. N95 masks and Tyvek coveralls are also part of my preps.

If the Super Volcano erupts there will be nothing anyone can do. You can't run away from it, you can't hide, you can't fight it, you can't stop it. Depending on how bad the Eruption is, and how long it lasts will depend on whether you Die quickly, or your Death is slow and drawn out. There may be a few who survive, but most will Die.

It would not be a national issue, it would be, at the very least an issue for the northern hemisphere. It could end up a global catastrophe if the plume crossed the equator. That has happened before according to the geological records. One was the Russian mas eruption and the other was a super volcano in the southern Pacific.
There may well be survivors but you can bet it will be small groups of hunter /gatherers in the remote areas of the world.

Latest posts

Back