What if.....???

Discussion in 'HIking, Camping, Backpacking' started by VenomJockey, Feb 19, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 19, 2019 #1

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4. Neighbor Contributor

Suppose you had to bug out with only what you could carry in your large backpack, strapped to the backpack, or web belt, a bedroll/lightweight tent, and one long barrel .22 revolver? Could you survive for 6 months to 1 year?

2. Feb 19, 2019 #2

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Doubt it.
    Would not do well as a refuge for 6 months to a year.

3. Feb 19, 2019 #3

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

No. Perhaps at one time but no longer. Give me a boat with a cabin and I could do okay.

Patchouli, Weedygarden, ssonb and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 19, 2019 #4

backlash

backlash

backlash

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

No. I'm to old and way to close to a populated city.
    Trekking into the wilderness and living off the land requires a young, strong body and an area isolated from the hoards.

Patchouli, Weedygarden, ssonb and 3 others like this.
  5. Feb 20, 2019 #5

JAC

JAC

JAC

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor

I have a pack setup for that. It is my INCH bag. (Im Not Coming Home)

I have to be honest though. It is so heavy that I'm sure I will be leaving a discard trail behind me. LOL. Help yourself!

The problem with the wilderness is that everyone else who has been there will be headed there. I'd say within a week all game has been run off.

I think the days of Jeremiah Johnson are way gone.

The streams will look like this:

[​IMG]

Hooch, Patchouli, Bacpacker and 7 others like this.
  6. Feb 20, 2019 #6

viking

viking

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few Neighbor Contributor

I used to see things like that when I was fishing for steelhead on some of the rivers in Washington, casting the same time as everyone else. Guys like Jeremiah Johnson, the fur trappers, were far tougher than we are today, I doubt that I could do all that well at 76, my body doesn't like being cold and most good survival places can have some pretty rough weather.

7. Feb 20, 2019 #7

snappy1

snappy1

snappy1

I wouldn't leave my DH who is disabled. On my own, I think I could survive for a few months, not sure how long of course. I do have an INCH bag also.

joel, Patchouli, Amish Heart and 3 others like this.
  8. Feb 20, 2019 #8

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

On my own I stand a fair chance of surviving. With my wife, we will stay at home and I will still survive to keep her safe.
    I could survive in the woods because I would spend the time to get into the back country. No roads and no trails and watching for predators and game.
    I would not do as well in the desert but I know enough to travel at night and dig in during the day. I know where to look for water and I can eat anything that flies, walks, crawls or slithers.
    My wife won't eat what is available so she would not survive long away from her food sources. She can't keep a decent pace - even one that I set with my bad back.
    We are in a decent place for most emergencies and the home doesn't look like there is anything of value in it. I have a decent supply of ammo for all the guns and we are in a limited population area.
    I know most of the deputies in the area and have a good relationship with them. My son and his family are close enough to come over and they will bring water, food and arms.
    Combined with our stores we can hold out for at least six months even with my son and his family.

9. Feb 20, 2019 #9

ssonb

ssonb

ssonb

When I was younger I hiked the Appalachian Trail with around a 45lb backback, but we still was able to stop in towns for supplies and had prepositioned foodstuffs mailed forward that we could pick up. Now, nope . Others have mentioned that the woods will be filled with wantabee rambos after some type of calamity and if you do a roundabout survey on the matter with the general sheeple a lot will say that they will pack up the Prius and BO to the woods and be one with nature not realizing just what that really means!

viking, Patchouli, Bacpacker and 3 others like this.
  10. Feb 20, 2019 #10

backlash

backlash

backlash

That's called combat fishing. I went 1 time and swore I would never do it again and I haven't.
    Around here the Indians will stretch gill nets across the rivers and take everything that swims so there will be very little fish available after TEOTWAWKT.
    Steelhead fisherman are nuts if you ask me. Standing in ice cold water, in freezing temperatures trying to catch a big trout. I much prefer sitting in my boat in the sunshine catching walleye and bass. If it gets crowded I just move to a different place on the river. Also Washington and Oregon have declared walleye to be a nuisance fish and eliminated the size and catch limits in the Columbia river so you can keep as many as you able to catch.

Caribou, viking, Patchouli and 3 others like this.
  11. Feb 20, 2019 #11

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I don't think many people would survive long, and not past a month or more. Depending upon where you are, you may have problems with no water, too hot, too cold, no knowledge of foraging for food.

It would be great if we could carry everything we need to survive, but I don't think that is realistic either. On the other hand, if you could bug out to a predetermined shelter, such as a cabin, which is stocked with food and has a source of water, that might be another story. I would suspect that a cabin with a wood-burning stove or fireplace that has smoke coming out of the chimney will attract attention and attract others.

Once we bug-out, are we on the move for the rest of our lives? Or can we build a shelter and get stationery? Even then, I believe life would be difficult, living off the land. Even my ancestors who built sod homes and were farmers, had to go to the store to purchase food stuff. There is a need for some essentials, such as salt.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Hooch, Caribou, Patchouli and 3 others like this.
  12. Feb 20, 2019 #12

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

At one point in my life I have no doubt I could have. Now days with the wife's health I see no way. Even solo I can't do what I used to, and I would leave her anyway. So I'll say no.

13. Mar 14, 2019 #13

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Depends upon where and which 6 months.

Hooch and VirginPrepper like this.
  14. Mar 14, 2019 #14

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Yep......same for me, Right now (March 15'th) would be best for me to enjoy six months, of easy survival. I regularly (mostly daily) haul 10 gallons of water from the creek to the cabin. That is 80 pounds of water, a couple pounds for two five gallon jugs, and the custom (Alaska Range) pack weighs just over nine pounds. It is 1/4 mile to the creek, not bad in summer, but ca get sucky on snowshoes.

But I have remote trapping cabins, and other shelters built. And food cached for three years. But at 72 y/o there would be little room for accidents.

See post #2 https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...16538-the-leatherman-this-is-a-wonderful-read

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Bacpacker and LadyLocust like this.
  15. Mar 14, 2019 #15

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I didn't look close, but are all those men lined up to pee in the stream? It actually looks like they are all fishing, but there are many people who think they need to pee in the water.

But if they were peeing, why pee in the stream? Why not have a spot or dig a trench somewhere to pee into? What if that was the only source of water? Are you going to pee in it and then drink it? Yuck!

Just a thought for today and the future! Please correct my stinking thinking, if it is.

16. Mar 15, 2019 #16

jimLE

jimLE

jimLE

Their fishing.i enlarged the pic.n saw fishing rods and line

Caribou likes this.
  17. Mar 15, 2019 #17

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

I would spend a little time building a trap to drop into the stream and then a couple more to trap some small animals.That would allow time to build a fire and a shelter. Come sundown I would be that guy who is eating comfortably in his camp staying warm by the fire. I would probably share the fish and small critters to help feed others but it would depend on my success. I would teach them how to start a fire and shelter. I would likely be the first gone in the morning. Getting away from folks would be a goal.

18. Mar 15, 2019 #18

joel

joel

joel

18 miles to BOL.
    Then I will make my stand, with at least ten members who all have skills to help hold the BOL.
    An army could take us easy, but city folks will never make it that far out, so we can hold on for 6 months.
    In 6 months most will kill each other for food scraps & the strong will have forted up for the long haul.
    I have a BOB, but I will not move around a lot.

Bacpacker likes this.