What "IF?"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
With approximately 3,000,000 people incarcerated in the U. S., what happens if a major SHTF situation develops? What are the guards gonna do (half of which don't show up for work on any given day anyway)?? What are they gonna do with the inmates? Even assuming they remain "locked up," how are they gonna feed them?

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/pie2019.html

Some guards will clearly leave them to rot.
There is no love/respect lost among them..

Others will let them go...

Last edited:
in state detention I think most guards will let them rot, a few will let them go..
in county detention I think most guards will be selective if they can..as many know their rap sheet and will judge who gets to go and who gets to rot n cells..
at least I know that is how we used to talk behind the scenes when I was in the mix

Extend this concern to hospitals, nursing homes and even for things like Meals on Wheels. For that matter, how about grocery stores? Who's gonna show up for work to deliver food, stock shelves and run the check-out lines?

Regarding prisons, I'm surprised no one has suggested that the authorities might just shoot prisoners in their cells, particularly repeat violent offenders. Summary execution isn't a cheerful idea, but neither is letting rapists/murderers out to prey on people at a time when police are scarce.

I was a contractor and the State jail was one of my customers. I grew up with some of the guards and got to know many others. The DWI and other minor aggravations would be let out. They planned to shoot the violent criminals. The guards have families too. They all live relatively close to the jail or prison.

Aren't the door locks on cell doors made so in the event of an emergency they unlock? The block doors and main entrance are all manual locks

Aren't the door locks on cell doors made so in the event of an emergency they unlock? The block doors and main entrance are all manual locks
You mean like when the power goes out? That's a pretty common occurrence. In the newer facilities blocks of doors can be opened with a flick of a switch or in a power outage individual cells can be opened with a key. They are locked up to protect society, their safety is a secondary concern.

I was told it was a fire safety thing. You can't confine someone to die in a fire... even on death row.

I was told it was a fire safety thing. You can't confine someone to die in a fire... even on death row.
Not in any jail I was in. The push of a button by the guard, yes, but automatic? I'm not aware of it.

I found out about it at one of the County Emergency Response meetings. I asked if that presented a risk to the county and was assured they could keep the prisoners inside the facilities even though they would not be confined to their cells. I am unsure if I believe that. Past riots and breakouts don't leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Sheepdog, Im guessing it must be dependent on the facility and how old it is and how it is constructed. The jail I worked in had a "old side" that had the old heavy bar doors that locked with a key. the rooms house around 4 men and inside the dorm was a common area. Those older bar type doors are fairly heavy duty and cant be picked, pretty secure doors. The main door to the same dorms was also a heavy duty solid metal door with a lock.
The "new" side of the jail had doors that were all both magnetic locking locks and they all had a lock in case the power went out. Those doors, although they sound fancy..were picked n kicked open a lot. I saw inmates utilize a trash bag and blanket and with a few swift hard kicks bust out of them. They were crap...

Not in any jail I was in. The push of a button by the guard, yes, but automatic? I'm not aware of it.

I stand corrected. The wife says they do have such systems that unlock the cells after the power has been out for a period of time. she spent 28 years behind bars so she should know.

This makes you sound like criminals, which is not at all the impression I have ever had of you.

Most new prisons being built are "open dorms (lower costs)," and completely uncontrollable in the event of an emergency (riot, etc). "Door locks" on open dorms mean nothing...they'll just go out the windows. If the guards don't show for work, the inmates will just leave...mass escapes will be common. And after the first couple meals they miss, there are going to be major problems no matter what!!

Was it because you were both working there?
:ghostly:I was a contractor making repairs to the drunk tank. It was shift change and she came in to see who was making a racket in her jail.

It was a kiddie jail. I made several repairs to that facility. I don't remember what it was that day. The only repair I remember was making the food tray slot smaller after an escape.

I stand corrected. The wife says they do have such systems that unlock the cells after the power has been out for a period of time. she spent 28 years behind bars so she should know.
You are too funny.

Latest posts

Back