What I'm Quilting Now

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
09051BF1-DEC9-4722-8B93-6885845AD635.jpeg
Block 1 complete I believe. Still not sure my exact pattern for the actual quilt yet but work in progress.

That’s only one block!?! Beautiful work, love the colors!
Yes that’s just 1 block. I have another completed and am working on trying to reverse the dark to light. I want to see how that looks. Maybe reverse a few blocks. Not sure yet. It’s a beach theme and each block will be framed in with sand/footprints pattern. Not sure on the frame block fabric yet.

Double R,
Is that the Pineapple quilt block?
Yes it is. 10 inch finished blocks.
Good to see you! :huggs:

That is going to be one beautiful quilt!! Good to see you Mo!!
Thank you! :huggs:Y’all sure are giving me what I needed to keep on with it!

DoubleR, I love your colors. Definitely beachy! Is that paper-pieced? I have a friend who made the pineapple blocks without paper piecing, and that looked rough. I much prefer the paper-pieced version (if I'm the one sewing it!)
Thank you! I’m not the greatest at it but everyone who’s seen the blocks says it’s definitely ocean/beach like.
No paper piecing. I had to look and see what that even was 😂

Saw my mother in law today.
She was talking about the canvas we got her that was a beach view and has an led behind it about where a setting sun would be. The first thing she said was she loved the sand with barefoot prints. With the light on she said it’s so relaxing. I just agreed but it was very hard not to tell her that’s good and thank you 😂 These blocks I was planning on framing in with barefoot prints in the sand fabric. Guess that was a good plan.

Yes it is. 10 inch finished blocks.
Good to see you! :huggs:

Thank you! :huggs:Y’all sure are giving me what I needed to keep on with it!

Thank you! I’m not the greatest at it but everyone who’s seen the blocks says it’s definitely ocean/beach like.

Saw my mother in law today.
She was talking about the canvas we got her that was a beach view and has an led behind it about where a setting sun would be. The first thing she said was she loved the sand with barefoot prints. With the light on she said it’s so relaxing. I just agreed but it was very hard not to tell her that’s good and thank you 😂 These blocks I was planning on framing in with barefoot prints in the sand fabric. Guess that was a good plan.
I'm sure she will love it.
I had to look up paper piecing too.
Haven't tried that one yet.
Keep up the great work.

I have a couple old quilts my dads mom made me when I was a little kid (she died when I was 5) that I treasure. I used them for many years and after they started showing a lot of wear I boxed them up and put them in storage.
Over the years the wife has bought some quilts, but none have the look or feel of the hand made ones. I'd love to find some that we could use on our bed now. I think they are a treasure.

I have a couple old quilts my dads mom made me when I was a little kid (she died when I was 5) that I treasure. I used them for many years and after they started showing a lot of wear I boxed them up and put them in storage.
Over the years the wife has bought some quilts, but none have the look or feel of the hand made ones. I'd love to find some that we could use on our bed now. I think they are a treasure.
Bacpacker,
Make sure you are storing your antique quilts correctly - quilts should be taken out and refolded every once in a while so that the creases in them don't become permanent. Also, you ought to be sure you include something with the quilts to let people who come after you know who made the quilts. Ideally, the quilts will have labels giving a bit of their history, but many people don't know to label their quilts. Then, you're left with the quandary of a beautiful antique quilt with no provenance.

I agree with you that quilts are a treasure, and my house is full of them. If you're looking to buy handmade quilts to use now, check out your local quilt store- often they have quilts for sale. Also, did you know that the antique quilts you have in storage can (usually) be restored? Quilts are made to be used, not stuffed in a box somewhere! (OK, I admit it, my name is Diana and I am a quiltaholic!)

Last week while on vacation in FL, the wife "found" a quilt show in Daytona (I think that was the reason we went to FL but she won't admit it.) and it inspired her to start a new quilt. Here are the squares she's done so far since we've been home.View attachment 81714
Pretty! I like her color choices!

Here's a picture of something I paper-pieced. I need to finish quilting it and it will become a wall-hanging. Paper-piecing is fun because it let's you make shapes you couldn't ordinarily get just by regular piecing- lots of precision.
:)

english roses.jpg

Bacpacker,
Make sure you are storing your antique quilts correctly - quilts should be taken out and refolded every once in a while so that the creases in them don't become permanent. Also, you ought to be sure you include something with the quilts to let people who come after you know who made the quilts. Ideally, the quilts will have labels giving a bit of their history, but many people don't know to label their quilts. Then, you're left with the quandary of a beautiful antique quilt with no provenance.

I agree with you that quilts are a treasure, and my house is full of them. If you're looking to buy handmade quilts to use now, check out your local quilt store- often they have quilts for sale. Also, did you know that the antique quilts you have in storage can (usually) be restored? Quilts are made to be used, not stuffed in a box somewhere! (OK, I admit it, my name is Diana and I am a quiltaholic!)
Thank you for the info. I wasn't aware they can be restored. These have no labels on them. I should type up something to keep with them

Bacpacker,

Thanks for that info!! I have several of my mom's quilts that I cherish, she's been gone 15yrs. I have heard about refolding them but only have a few times in all those years. I just did them recently when I cleaned closets. I have them stored in plastic zipper bags like comforter sets would come in, is that ok? Is there a better way I should be storing them?

@Pearl I’m not the expert here. I’ve heard and read that’s not the preferred method of storing older handmade quilts. I have one that was started many decades ago by one of my great aunts. A friend of my mom’s finished it in the late 70s/early 80s. I keep it in my very old cedar chest. It still looks brand new. I put it on the bed in the spring.
I’m sure someone else knows better storage methods than mine.

Thanks for that info!! I have several of my mom's quilts that I cherish, she's been gone 15yrs. I have heard about refolding them but only have a few times in all those years. I just did them recently when I cleaned closets. I have them stored in plastic zipper bags like comforter sets would come in, is that ok? Is there a better way I should be storing them?

I've been told that plastic will cause a quilt to deteriorate much faster. The best way to store a quilt is in an acid-free textile storage box with archival tissue paper. Wooden boxes like cedar chests can let chemicals and oils and sap from the wood leech into the quilt, causing stains and deterioration. You can buy boxes especially for storing quilts online. Also, avoid storing your antique quilts in the attic or the basement, as both places can lead to damage from humidity and temperature fluctuations. Lastly, don't store other things (photographs, journals, jewelry, etc) with quilts as they can also cause damage. I make pillowcases for each quilt I make and store the quilts in them in a closet. The pillowcase keeps dust and stuff off and the closet keeps the quilt out of the sun. Since I make the pillow cases with scraps from the quilt, I can tell just by looking at it which quilt is in the case.

I'm not an expert, but I inherited a couple of very old quilts and did some research, and then attended a class on caring for quilts. I hope this helps!

I've been told that plastic will cause a quilt to deteriorate much faster. The best way to store a quilt is in an acid-free textile storage box with archival tissue paper. Wooden boxes like cedar chests can let chemicals and oils and sap from the wood leech into the quilt, causing stains and deterioration. You can buy boxes especially for storing quilts online. Also, avoid storing your antique quilts in the attic or the basement, as both places can lead to damage from humidity and temperature fluctuations. Lastly, don't store other things (photographs, journals, jewelry, etc) with quilts as they can also cause damage. I make pillowcases for each quilt I make and store the quilts in them in a closet. The pillowcase keeps dust and stuff off and the closet keeps the quilt out of the sun. Since I make the pillow cases with scraps from the quilt, I can tell just by looking at it which quilt is in the case.

I'm not an expert, but I inherited a couple of very old quilts and did some research, and then attended a class on caring for quilts. I hope this helps!
You are pretty darn expert to me! GREAT advice, looking online tonight for storage boxes! Your pillowcase idea is awesome! I really appreciate you!!

Does that apply to cedar chests made of real cedar ?

Asking for my sister that inherited my mother's cedar chest.

Ben

Can you take and share a pix or two of the old quilts? I not an expert, but love the oldies and tend to either get old unfinished blocks or tops to finish or make in the style of the oldies. I could (maybe) share the pattern, era etc. & regardless would enjoy seeing them (that part is just the selfish part.) ☺
HA! Just read @DrPrepper 's posts & agree.
Does that apply to cedar chests made of real cedar ?

Asking for my sister that inherited my mother's cedar chest.

Ben
I believe the correct answer is yes. However, you knew there would be a however, right? I have quilts that have been stored in cedar for many decades but in cotton bags (like a pillow case) and don't have any stains etc. I would tend to say keep them from direct contact with the wood - but that's my opinion only. The main reason for keeping in cedar is to detour bugs & moths.

All of you who have old blocks and quilts, as you are refolding them, please take a pix and share - really would love to see them.

One of my older ladies I clean for ROLLS her quilts to store them and uses old sheets to make quilt bags for them! No fold lines! Thought that was a neat idea, wanted to share! She still unrolls them ( because she folds them at least in half first)every few years to prevent fold marks, but she said there are less folds her way!

Was talking with another older lady about quilt storage, she is 93yrs old. She said her mom made all their quilts and she and her sister shared a bed most of their upbringing. Mom and dad's bed had a summer quilt, a spring and fall quilt, and a winter quilt. Same for the girls. Her mom rolled them full length and stored the ones not being used under the beds in cotton bags she made just for that purpose! This lady's 42 yr old granddaughter has four of those quilts and still uses them!! Well cared for and we'll made!!

Was talking with another older lady about quilt storage, she is 93yrs old. She said her mom made all their quilts and she and her sister shared a bed most of their upbringing. Mom and dad's bed had a summer quilt, a spring and fall quilt, and a winter quilt. Same for the girls. Her mom rolled them full length and stored the ones not being used under the beds in cotton bags she made just for that purpose! This lady's 42 yr old granddaughter has four of those quilts and still uses them!! Well cared for and we'll made!!

How lucky for that lady's granddaughter to have such a wonderful piece of family history!

One of the ladies in my Quilt Guild uses pool noodles to store her quilts. She made a cotton cover for each noodle so the noodle didn't touch the quilt, and then rolls her quilts on the noodles to store. Then, she made bags to cover the rolled up quilts. I may have to try that one!

I have one that my great aunt Britta started (by hand) in the Depression. She died young...she was in her 30s. The quilt was unfinished. Grandma got the quilt and started working on it with her treadle. Grandma died and the quilt remained unfinished. Mom got it. She's still living but the quilt is unfinished. Now Mom is talking about me finishing it. We think it's a variant of the Lone Star pattern.

How lucky for that lady's granddaughter to have such a wonderful piece of family history!

One of the ladies in my Quilt Guild uses pool noodles to store her quilts. She made a cotton cover for each noodle so the noodle didn't touch the quilt, and then rolls her quilts on the noodles to store. Then, she made bags to cover the rolled up quilts. I may have to try that one!
I cover pool noodles in cotton.
Then I make bags to go over rolled quilts.
The bags have a wooden hanger in the tops of them so they can be hung up.
Just an idea to pass along.

Latest posts

Back