What I'm Quilting Now

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My quilting guild is having a quilt camp next month, and I am teaching a class on using crumbs (you know, those really tiny scraps that most people are tempted to just throw out!) I love putting crumbs together to see what I can come up with. The smallest pieces are usually about 3/4" or so. I'm attaching a picture of a crumb quilt I finished last night that I made as a sample for my class (I still need to quilt it, though) . There are over 200 different fabrics in this quilt and it is entirely made from scraps (even the grey and black were scraps left over from other projects)
crumb quilt.jpg
! 😁

@DrPrepper That’s a fantastic quilt!

I’m working on one called Lakeside, and while it is lovely, the instructions are a nightmare. Cannot recommend. I have had to redo almost every block in the quilt because the cutting directions were wrong so many times.

It will be nice when I finally finish it.
That's beautiful! Are your appliques raw edge or turned? In my guild, we've been doing a round robin - each person starts with a block, the blocks are passed around, and then everyone puts a different border on the block. I got my friend's "log cabin" block, and I knew she wanted something "woodsy" to resemble our community, so I did a raw edge applique with bears very similar to yours. it was a pain in the patoot trying to get around all of the tiny details on the animals. I enjoy turned edge applique a lot more than the raw edge.

round robin - elaines.jpg

That's beautiful! Are your appliques raw edge or turned? In my guild, we've been doing a round robin - each person starts with a block, the blocks are passed around, and then everyone puts a different border on the block. I got my friend's "log cabin" block, and I knew she wanted something "woodsy" to resemble our community, so I did a raw edge applique with bears very similar to yours. it was a pain in the patoot trying to get around all of the tiny details on the animals. I enjoy turned edge applique a lot more than the raw edge.

View attachment 85222
Oh wow, that is so cute! Those edges are really tiny, especially on those trees. It must have been a lot of work. I hope you’ll post your own round robin quilt when it’s done.

Mine is raw-edged, but I am using heat and bond so they stay put and don’t ravel. Most of them weren’t too hard, except for the deer.

A bunch of those blank panels in that quilt are supposed to be embroidered and I am not an embroidery person, so they will be getting more appliqué and machine stitching for the pine branches that are supposed to be on there.

I love that the pattern is called Lakeside- that's the name of the town I live in, and your quilt perfectly resembles our town! I look forward to seeing it when it's done. I love the way you did the pine needles in the bottom corner! Heat and bond is wonderful - I used it on mine, too. No way was I going to trust just the stitching alone to keep all those tiny things from fraying!!

I love that the pattern is called Lakeside- that's the name of the town I live in, and your quilt perfectly resembles our town! I look forward to seeing it when it's done. I love the way you did the pine needles in the bottom corner! Heat and bond is wonderful - I used it on mine, too. No way was I going to trust just the stitching alone to keep all those tiny things from fraying!!
I wonder if it is the same? If I recall correctly, the book’s author named it after somewhere in Oregon, but I would have to go check to be sure.

The pine needles were very simple! I just stitched lines with the machine, some single and some with reverse stitch to make them double thickness. It is a lot of work. I sure did not want to hand sew those!

This is a fun quilt that I made last week - it's for my brother and his wife. He's a college professor (and also an author) and she's a librarian, so I thought a bookcase would be appropriate! The pattern is Jenny Doan's "Book Review", and I added the knick-knacks on the shelves (not in the pattern, but all are meaningful to my brother and SIL. It's at the quilt shop now for long-arming. The cat's not part of the quilt 😊 That's Boris, my quilting kitty, who is cat-scanning the quilt. I think he likes at, as I can't get a picture of it without him on top!
1656262927695.jpeg

This is a fun quilt that I made last week - it's for my brother and his wife. He's a college professor (and also an author) and she's a librarian, so I thought a bookcase would be appropriate! The pattern is Jenny Doan's "Book Review", and I added the knick-knacks on the shelves (not in the pattern, but all are meaningful to my brother and SIL. It's at the quilt shop now for long-arming. The cat's not part of the quilt 😊 That's Boris, my quilting kitty, who is cat-scanning the quilt. I think he likes at, as I can't get a picture of it without him on top!
View attachment 88652
That is REALLY neat!! Love the kitty on the "bookshelf"!!😊👍

A friend of mine was going through her quilt studio, trying to consolidate from four rooms to only three (she has a huge house with a separate 2- bedroom apartment in the basement. The apartment is her quilting studio, and it is amazing! One room has her longarm, one bedroom is her fabric storage, the kitchenette has her Go! and accucut machines, and the living room has all of her sewing machines, cutting stations, ironing stations, etc. She has more fabric storage in the huge walk in closet in the long-arm bedroom.)

Anyway, as she was getting rid of stuff, she brought me three big bags of scrap fabric (I love scraps!) and a few UFOs. One of the UFOs was a teddy bear that she cut out, but never put together. I sewed her up, and here is Ruby Bear!

Ruby Bear.jpg

She's about 3 feet tall, and took almost 8 pounds of stuffing! My guild is doing a silent auction at our quilt show in August to try to raise money to subsidize education, so Ruby will be one of the things we auction. She also gave me the cut-out pieces of several quilts that I will try to put together before the auction, too.

View attachment 88652
Very nice! I think all the bright colors are beautiful! Boris really is adorable..

Need opinions. Son 3 just announced that he and wife were having a baby boy. When he broke the news of being pregnant, they came over, with him announcing, he earned another quilt.🤣. I asked momma about colors she is wanting for the nursery. She tells me their wedding colors which is basically very neutral as in beige colors along with white. I have narrowed down the quilt designs incorporating her colors of coarse. What do you ladies think would look best? I do intend to incorporate a blue/grey in there too since it is a more tamed or muted color? Anyway, these are the two designs I am debating about. Please be honest. I am asking my Sis too.

Attachments​

• 9D0680CB-43ED-42D9-8376-223677121D3F.jpeg
    9D0680CB-43ED-42D9-8376-223677121D3F.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 0
  • E52C3F53-8101-48D9-99A3-B94D0B9AF625.jpeg
    E52C3F53-8101-48D9-99A3-B94D0B9AF625.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 0

Need opinions. Son 3 just announced that he and wife were having a baby boy. When he broke the news of being pregnant, they came over, with him announcing, he earned another quilt.🤣. I asked momma about colors she is wanting for the nursery. She tells me their wedding colors which is basically very neutral as in beige colors along with white. I have narrowed down the quilt designs incorporating her colors of coarse. What do you ladies think would look best? I do intend to incorporate a blue/grey in there too since it is a more tamed or muted color? Anyway, these are the two designs I am debating about. Please be honest. I am asking my Sis too.

Attachments​

The first design. I think different schemes of beige would look classy with the design.

My time is very limited these days but I worked out the kinks of shortcuts today since it has been so long. I had Hunny drop me off at the fabric store when he went to get feed today. I got my fabric for the blue quilt.

Attachments​

I like the blue quilt best - the pattern is more interesting to me. 😃

I got the 2nd half done yesterday after work, but will say, I stayed up later than I should have. Today, I'll be honest, I had to take an hour lay down/nap after work and got NOTHING done on my quilt. I got "vacation" next week. . I put vacation in quotes because all that will change is I don't have to go to work everyday. . . 🤣 . Life with critters, always has to happen.

Beautiful! I like your fabric choices.
Thank you @DrPrepper. I will say that I had bought a different fabric that I didn't use, but looked thru what I had on hand to substitute. It really is a great thing to have fabric in back stock. It was meant for another project, but turned out I bought it twice so have plenty to use for multiple projects. I actually picked out a muted blue where the white/ wheat middle is, but I just didn't like it when getting things cut out. It happens, at least in my world. Master quilter probably have a better eye at the fabric store.

Latest posts

Back