What I'm Quilting Now

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to take another break from my quilt I’ve been working on because some young friends are expecting their first baby in September. Got a baby quilt made and am quilting on it. Binding is cut and sewn so I just need to keep quilting 😁 then will get back to my quilt. Think it’s past the halfway point. Here’s the baby quilt. View attachment 46373View attachment 46374
That is so sweet looking.

I'm posting these for @MoBookworm1957 If you'd like to respond, please tag her so she can see ☺ I think they are darling~
Jackie A (2).jpg
Jackie B (2).jpg
Jackie C (2).jpg

I'm posting these for @MoBookworm1957 If you'd like to respond, please tag her so she can see ☺ I think they are darling~
View attachment 46587View attachment 46588View attachment 46589
Thank you for posting for me.
Will be starting to put together baby quilt and twin size quilt next week for grand daughters Christmas quilts.
Some of the blocks glow in the dark.
Some are stitched with my great grandmother's thread.
Some are stitched with my grandmother's thread.
Some are stitched with my mom's thread.
Some are stitched with my thread too.
But all are stitched with love.
Oldest grand daughter and I have had a few discussions on some of the color combinations.
She will go get her animal book to show which colors are wrong.
So some of the animals are whimiscal too.

Many years ago I made my husband a quilt like this. It was supposed to be a throw for him to use on the sofa but he always seemed to want it on the bed. It definitely wasn’t big enough for that but he made it work. I had no idea how he felt about it until it really started wearing out. The solid colors failed big time. Definitely not quality fabric. One day towards the end of last winter he asked me to “fix” his quilt. Sorry but that’s just not possible at this point so I set out to remake his quilt in secret. I had the remaining pattern blocks still from his original quilt but not quite enough to get it done so I added another pattern (the mule deer) and another solid (the cream) to it and by doing so had enough to make it a California king size. Just barely. All while keeping the same design. I just added the two new blocks before restarting the pattern.
My goal is to give this to him on our anniversary in august. It’s been a HUGE challenge to get this done. Ordering fabric online, reordering because the color wasn't right to match the original colors, keep it the “same” as the original but adding new to make it work. What a challenge especially for a not super experienced quilter.
Finally finished the top. Already got the batting on sale in January. Waiting on the backing fabric to arrive. Then to order fabric to make the binding.
Hard making this redo happen with the ridiculous lockdowns but I may be able to pull it off. Here’s the best picture I can get of it in secret. It’s HUGE.

809EFFF7-53B5-494A-B60F-C34DF51E9DA2.jpeg

Wow! Thanks for all the likes everyone! Guess it’s ok looking. Hope he likes it too.
I’ve started pinning it now with the batting and backing. Ran out of pins due to the size. Oops. Will get back to it after hubby’s nights off.
Trying to decide on binding color now so I can get fabric ordered. Cutting it close at this point to my deadline. Just can’t decide on a binding color.

Heres a new block I’m playing with for the fall doe and fawn panel.
4F858554-DA59-4FA0-9C33-6D32BC8A220A.png

This is the panel.

8D435BA5-248B-4B14-BD7E-EC8A19301592.jpeg

What a beautiful labor of love, @Double R
And a cute, sweet story. He REALLY loves his quilt. Haha, don't you feel all sneaky?
The blue squares make it pop! and the browns make it look snuggly warm.
Awe thank you! :huggs:Actually yes. Sneaky for sure! Kind of feels naughty 😂 I just hope he likes it. He seems very attached to the original, there’s just absolutely no salvaging it.
The blue is a tad brighter than the original but it was the closest I could get. I‘ve been worried it was a bit to blue but it does have that bright of blue in some of the prints. Now that it’s together it doesn’t look quite as out of place.
Thinking a brown for the binding just not sure yet. The old binding was more red and I never liked it.
I wanted to quilt it but the original is tied in each blocks corner so I’m going to do that again. He’s not a frilly guy which I think why he liked the ties vs actual “fluffy” quilting.

@Double R Your hunny is going to love this sneaky surprise! ;) The quilt is beautiful. . . I think either a brown or green for the binding would look nice. Both are colors in the quilt but are neutral and won't draw your attention away from it.
Thank you very much 😊
Green I hadn’t considered! Good idea! Going to look at greens and see which tells me it’s the right one 😉 I have a possible brown picked as of this morning but I won’t order till I look more at greens. Thanks for the input!

@MoBookworm1957 Long time ago, I used to do needlework too. Some embroidery, freestyle, and crewel embroidery as well.
You are an inspiration, innovative, and create beautiful things for those you love.
Everyone that posts their work and others' work here, you're pretty awesome!
:clapping:

🏆🏆🏆
Thank you Patchouli.
It relaxes me.

You all have inspired me so much with your beautiful works of art! Now that I am officially retired, I decided I want to learn to quilt. My mother used to not only make quilts, but she restored many antique quilts for her local historical society. I helped her a bit, but that's not the same as doing it yourself! Wish me luck - hopefully I'll soon have something decent enough to post pics.
1599336853976.png

You all have inspired me so much with your beautiful works of art! Now that I am officially retired, I decided I want to learn to quilt. My mother used to not only make quilts, but she restored many antique quilts for her local historical society. I helped her a bit, but that's not the same as doing it yourself! Wish me luck - hopefully I'll soon have something decent enough to post pics.
View attachment 49824
You will do fine.

Here are a couple of things I've been working on in the past few months. An unquilted top made from a Heart BOM that will probably be donated. I've also been working very slowly on a Sunflower cross stitch quilt top kit that was printed in the 70s. Here's a picture of a flower that I just finished and a couple of pictures of finished quilts I found on the internet. What I love about these is that the quilting pattern is also stamped on them and that makes it a lot easier when I start quilting.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/6f/4f/c7/6f4fc716736dd2d9f17ac9235abcd304.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_144918[1].jpg
    IMG_20200120_144918[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200828_125205[1].jpg
    IMG_20200828_125205[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back