What I'm Quilting Now

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started another cross stitch quilt kit a couple of months ago. I didn't like the colors they showed on the cover sheet but one day I looked at it and it finally clicked what the pattern is. I love Pennsylvania Dutch so once I realized that's what I was looking at, I went right to work. Here's the kit I'm using. It was produced in the early 70s - thus the awful colors they used.

(1) Pinterest

Here are a couple of pictures of what I have done so far.

IMG_20210227_113914[1].jpg
IMG_20210327_094654[1].jpg

I started another cross stitch quilt kit a couple of months ago. I didn't like the colors they showed on the cover sheet but one day I looked at it and it finally clicked what the pattern is. I love Pennsylvania Dutch so once I realized that's what I was looking at, I went right to work. Here's the kit I'm using. It was produced in the early 70s - thus the awful colors they used.

(1) Pinterest

Here are a couple of pictures of what I have done so far.

View attachment 62237 View attachment 62239
Very pretty!

This last couple of months I've been trying to clear up some of the mountain of UFOs I have. Mostly taking sets of blocks that have been laying around and setting them into tops.

The time was right to get some pictures this morning. Grandson was here and the sun was out - so was the wind. I should have saved all the shots I deleted and made a bloopers post. My GS would stand there with his arms extended holding the quilt top out but then a gust of wind would wrap it around him. Some of the pictures all you could see was a wad of fabric with legs. His arms must have been getting pretty tired by the time I was through! lol

This first one was the 2017 Scrap Dance mystery from My Carolina Home. It was shown in multi color scraps but I decided to use only blues and white. The finished size of the top is 70" x 83".

The flowered one is another oldie that I just worked on occasionally through the years. I loved the pattern but it was sooo boring to work on. The original name was San Jose Rose (I think) but I changed the style of the leaf and called it San Jacinto Rose. The finished size is 55" x 73". I wasn't going to put a border on it but now I'm re-thinking that.

The next one is an embroidered Parasol Lady. The sun was so bright that it washed out the colors so you can just faintly see the embroidered ladies. Those gals really liked hugging the grandson and that was the best shot I could get to give you a view of the whole top. I took a close up of one block. The finished size of the top is 61" x 78".

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_100650[1].jpg
    IMG_20210724_100650[1].jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210724_101109[1].jpg
    IMG_20210724_101109[1].jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210724_100918[1].jpg
    IMG_20210724_100918[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210724_101912[1].jpg
    IMG_20210724_101912[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
I also made an Irish Chain using some St. Patrick's Day shamrock prints. For now it doesn't have a border on it and I go back and forth about whether to add one or not. The size right now is 67" x 78". This was planned as a birthday present for my son - he'll be (gasp) 50 in October. I'm going to send it out to be machine quilted because he really loves and uses his quilts so I want it to be sturdy. As plain as it is, it turned out so pretty with those Irish prints.

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_101142[1].jpg
    IMG_20210724_101142[1].jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210724_103318[1].jpg
    IMG_20210724_103318[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
CalicoKatie, very nice! I really like the scrap dance one, and your embroidery is beautiful!

We have a quilt show coming up in 2 weeks and I entered 7 quilts! I don't expect any prizes, but I as a fairly new quilter, I am really looking forward to the feedback from the judges. Here are the quilts I entered:

"First quilt ever":
1627365163049.png

"Purple Chains"
1627365198089.png

Mike's Texas Lone Star:
1627365236484.png

"Dreams of the Southwest"
1627365290510.png

"Carpenter's Star"
1627365322415.png

"Army Days"
1627365350941.png

"Woven Star"
1627365387965.png

@DrPrepper , any tips for the v seams on the stars? I have an awful time with those.

I've found that if I mark the point where the Y comes together (1/4" on all edges), and then only sew each seam to that point, it makes for cleaner Y seams. I used to do everything I could to avoid the Y seams until someone showed me that trick.... and once I tried it, I found it worked really well.

Thought I'd check in with what I'm working on this week. I'm making a Scottie quilt as a Christmas present for my middle grandson using this 10" pattern from McCall's. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to set it but I'm aiming for 60" x 80" or thereabouts. When I finish the top I'll post a picture of it.
Pattern: Wee Scottie | Quilting Daily

I really like this little patchwork scottie and might put this on my list for next year. It would really go together in a jiffy.
Sunshine in the Attic: Quilted patchwork Scottie Dogs

Before I even started sewing I decided I wasn't going to stress the small stuff on these. Clipped points? So what. Corners that don't match up? No big deal. I'm not taking anything apart to re-do unless it's something major.

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_122722[1].jpg
    IMG_20210918_122722[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210919_084644[1].jpg
    IMG_20210919_084644[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Thought I'd check in with what I'm working on this week. I'm making a Scottie quilt as a Christmas present for my middle grandson using this 10" pattern from McCall's. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to set it but I'm aiming for 60" x 80" or thereabouts. When I finish the top I'll post a picture of it.

I really like this little patchwork scottie and might put this on my list for next year. It would really go together in a jiffy.

Before I even started sewing I decided I wasn't going to stress the small stuff on these. Clipped points? So what. Corners that don't match up? No big deal. I'm not taking anything apart to re-do unless it's something major.
I'm "NOT"stressing about even matched corners .
I'm not taking anything apart unless block is completely upside down and backwards.
I just call that block I Spy quilt block.
Katie,
What do you know about 10 inch squares of paper?
Suppose to help you have the same size blocks maybe.
Right now, I'm lucky to put one foot in front of the other.
I'll post picture of "Bug" quilt when done.

The only thing I can think of using a square of paper is string piecing. Cut the size square you want and use it as a foundation to sew your strings to then when it's finished, flip it over and trim the strings down to the size of the paper. I use pages from old phone books because it's thinner and tears away easier.

That is going to be a really cute quilt! I look forward to seeing pics of the finished top!

The only thing I can think of using a square of paper is string piecing. Cut the size square you want and use it as a foundation to sew your strings to then when it's finished, flip it over and trim the strings down to the size of the paper. I use pages from old phone books because it's thinner and tears away easier.
I use the 10" papers for paper piecing projects, too. I use my light box and trace the pattern onto the paper. I don't use the phone book paper because our phone books here are too small (about 4" x 7"), so I just buy the commercial 10" sheets.

View attachment 76616
I made a new Christmas tree skirt for this year- pattern by Donna Jordan (from Jordan fabrics). Boris the cat approves. 🙂 (He better enjoy sitting on it now, because tomorrow it goes around the Christmas tree, and he'd best not try sitting on it then!)
That is BEAUTIFUL, so is Boris!! I think that's his new bed😁

View attachment 76616
I made a new Christmas tree skirt for this year- pattern by Donna Jordan (from Jordan fabrics). Boris the cat approves. 🙂 (He better enjoy sitting on it now, because tomorrow it goes around the Christmas tree, and he'd best not try sitting on it then!)
That looks like a nice size. What is the diameter? Me likes it, me likes it 💕

@DrPrepper I’ve been wanting to make one of those for years. Always forget until it’s to late. Maybe it’s time to put that fabric on my shopping list and make it happen. That is very lovely! I might be a bit prejudiced though because your model is so darn adorable!😍
Thanks, Double R! The pattern for this is free from Jordan Fabrics - I've attached it here. You can also find a you tube tutorial for making it here. It was really fun to make. I chose to bind it instead of the finished turned edge called for in the pattern. Once I was done, it screamed for the tassels and buttons (or maybe that was Boris screaming for something he and his sister could play with!).

Attachments

• Christmas_Tree_Skirt_directions_edited_for_y_seams.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
. . . I made a new Christmas tree skirt for this year- pattern by Donna Jordan (from Jordan fabrics). Boris the cat approves. 🙂 (He better enjoy sitting on it now, because tomorrow it goes around the Christmas tree, and he'd best not try sitting on it then!)

Love it! That will be a beautiful heirloom to bring out for years to come.!

Latest posts

Back