What is a used vehicle worth......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
How do you find a "Fair" price for a vehicle, especially if it has very-very low miles.....??? I have 23 y/o trucks with 57K miles. Easy to find fair value for that truck with 191,500 miles or 217,000 miles. Yes I know "TRUCK PAPER" and Equipment Trader, but everything is high miles used.

The last few times I tried "Kelly Blue Book" they did not list trucks.

This is a 1999 Ford F350 "SUPER DUTY" XLT Dully 4X4 7.3 L Powerstroke with a custom 12 foot aluminum flatbed (I paid $6,800.00 just for the custom bed in 1999) Truck has 57,353 total miles. I bought it new.

The last few times I tried "Kelly Blue Book" they did not list trucks.

This is a 1999 Ford F350 "SUPER DUTY" XLT Dully 4X4 7.3 L Powerstroke with a custom 12 foot aluminum flatbed (I paid $6,800.00 just for the custom bed in 1999) Truck has 57,353 total miles. I bought it new.

You might need to adjust the options on the truck. Not sure how to account for the flatbed if it wasn't a ford listed option.

The first one is trade in value, the second is private sales.

You can go back and adjust for the correct options.

https://www.kbb.com/ford/f350-super...=trade-in&condition=good&options=6436734|true
https://www.kbb.com/ford/f350-super...4|true&pricetype=private-party&vehicleid=5467

Last edited:
You might need to adjust the options on the truck. Not sure how to account for the flatbed if it wasn't a ford listed option.

https://www.kbb.com/ford/f350-super...=trade-in&condition=good&options=6436734|true
https://www.kbb.com/ford/f350-super...4|true&pricetype=private-party&vehicleid=5467

Thank you. I used the link to get a guestimate for my 2002 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo. The ex let the paint fade off the top so it is only in GOOD condition but their price still seemed a bit low. When I replace the fuel pump and get it running I will probably ask a bit more than their suggestion due to the low miles. I can always accept a lower offer.

Thanks to Sourdough for this thread, perfect timing.

Thanks.........."BUT" that illustrates the problem.

The values are based on "Average Miles driven per Year" which is 12,000 miles. That value they show assumes 264,000 miles on the truck.....not 57,000 miles.

Also that is for a "long Bed" long bed refers to a Pickup Truck. That is not a Chassis-cab for a 12 foot flatbed or 12 foot box.

My problem is the that 7.3 liter "powerstroke" Diesel engine with only 56,000 mile is worth more then they show for total truck value. Just that engine is $9,000.00 to $12,000.00

I know because I have the exact same truck with 37,000 total miles and it needs a new 7.3 L Powerstroke Diesel engine. New they are $14,000.00 just the engine.

This is my problem, with trying to find a fair value.

The values are based on "Average Miles driven per Year" which is 12,000 miles. That value they show assumes 264,000 miles on the truck.....not 57,000 miles.

Also that is for a "long Bed" long bed refers to a Pickup Truck. That is not a Chassis-cab for a 12 foot flatbed or 12 foot box.

My problem is the that 7.3 liter "powerstroke" Diesel engine with only 56,000 mile is worth more then they show for total truck value. Just that engine is $9,000.00 to $12,000.00

I know because I have the exact same truck with 37,000 total miles and it needs a new 7.3 L Powerstroke Diesel engine. New they are $14,000.00 just the engine.

The listed value was based on 57K miles. Plugging in 264K miles dropped the value in half.

The listed value was based on 57K miles. Plugging in 264K miles dropped the value in half.

Still that is a "Pickup Truck". Takes a 8 foot bed, these come with "NO" bed, and what ever you build or buy is 12 foot long.

Last edited:
Click on the edit options tab and correct for the options. I selected the V8 7.3L diesel and 4x4. You can then select options under multiple tabs for interior, exterior, packages and even color. Here is a paste from the link I pasted. I think you can click on the edit options below. After you produce the results after editing the option, I am guessing that you will want to select private sale value verses trade in value.

My Car's Value
1999 Ford F350 Super Duty Regular Cab
Long Bed
Mileage: 57,300
Edit Options
rating

(632 Ratings)
Write a review

Kelly Blue book, then an Internet search to see what others are selling for.

Dad's car was 10 years old, less than 30,000 miles and in excellent condition. No Lender would loan money on its "real" valve and majority of people don't have the cash. Sold it for less then what I thought but glad to get rid of it. Dad had died and it took us two years to convince mom to part with the car. Dangerous (for others) to have her trying to drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Used vehicle values are through the roof right now. Here I have seen 20 year old trucks with 250K miles on them, decent shape still, selling for 15-16 thousand.

I'd be willing to bet you could get that easily with the low mileage, maybe a tad more with the custom bed.. The chip shortage has driven used prices up. The big three here have full lots right now waiting for chips to be able to ship them.

Another I have and need to sell is a 2005 GMC 5500 4X4 Crew Cab. This is "NOT" a pick-up. It has 33,000 miles. This truck is roughly three times the size of a pick-up truck. Hard to find this size truck with 4X4 drive, Diesel engine. I am going blind, and have several other trucks to sell, including a Duce and Half 6X6. But I can't find out what this stuff is really worth. Being over hundred miles from town is also part of the problem. Got a Case 450B dozer to sell also.

Don't use the Kelley blue book. Use the NADA guide. It's what actual car dealerships use. I used the online NADA when I was trying to figure what I could get for my Mazda last summer. But that was right when the used car prices jumped. The guide hadn't been updated yet. The dealer gave me almost $3000 more than book...

When I'm trying to find out used vehicle worth I use KBB and NADA. KBB was already mentioned. Here's NADA:
https://www.nada.com/
As others have mentioned, used vehicles are in high demand right now, so their prices are higher than usual. You've chosen a good time to sell. I would do the internet searches and add on what you think is fair for the custom improvements and also for the low mileage. List it high to begin with.....you can always come down. Considering you are in the boonies, I'd list it on Craigslist first and see if you get any bites.

I'd also contact a dealer (or two or three) and email them your information with pics of the vehicles you are looking to sell and get their opinions. You will get opinions b/c they want to sell your stuff and make some cash. Tell them what your bottom line price is and tell them if they can sell it for you, they can keep whatever above and beyond they get for your vehicle. They can also do all the leg work to transfer it to where it needs to be to sell.

When I'm trying to find out used vehicle worth I use KBB and NADA. KBB was already mentioned. Here's NADA:
https://www.nada.com/
As others have mentioned, used vehicles are in high demand right now, so their prices are higher than usual. You've chosen a good time to sell. I would do the internet searches and add on what you think is fair for the custom improvements and also for the low mileage. List it high to begin with.....you can always come down. Considering you are in the boonies, I'd list it on Craigslist first and see if you get any bites.

I'd also contact a dealer (or two or three) and email them your information with pics of the vehicles you are looking to sell and get their opinions. You will get opinions b/c they want to sell your stuff and make some cash. Tell them what your bottom line price is and tell them if they can sell it for you, they can keep whatever above and beyond they get for your vehicle. They can also do all the leg work to transfer it to where it needs to be to sell.
That is excellent advice!

By "bottom line" would that mean what would make @Sourdough smile?

Ben

Don't use the Kelley blue book. Use the NADA guide. It's what actual car dealerships use. I used the online NADA when I was trying to figure what I could get for my Mazda last summer. But that was right when the used car prices jumped. The guide hadn't been updated yet. The dealer gave me almost $3000 more than book...

Thanks.....I appreciate the help. NADA and KBB only go "UP TO" F350 "PICK-UP TRUCK"........they don't go Bigger. None of my trucks a pick-up trucks. NADA gives zero consideration for extremely low miles on the vehicle.
I just want to find out what they are worth, and I am having a hard time finding that out.

Ah, it looks more like a commercial truck. Maybe this site could hep? Maybe not, but thought I'd post it anyways.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Alaska/trucks-for-sale?state=Alaska|AK
I'm sure it's difficult to try and figure out a fair price right now, since things are not exactly normal right now. What number would make you happy? Basically, it's worth what someone else will pay for it. You could consider perhaps putting it at auction. Many of those will allow you to put minimum bids on as well.

You look on craigslist and facebook for similar trucks and see what the market looks like. 'Fair' is what you are willing to part with it for. Unless you are in a big hurry, once you find the range, add 20% or so and see what kind of offers you get. 'The market' will figure it out.

That is a great site for my education. Thanks.

Ah, it looks more like a commercial truck. Maybe this site could hep? Maybe not, but thought I'd post it anyways.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Alaska/trucks-for-sale?state=Alaska|AK
I'm sure it's difficult to try and figure out a fair price right now, since things are not exactly normal right now. What number would make you happy? Basically, it's worth what someone else will pay for it. You could consider perhaps putting it at auction. Many of those will allow you to put minimum bids on as well.

When you are talking about old vehicles, mileage isn't the only issue. Availability of parts becomes more important. That 1995 truck may not have many miles on it, but if you need to replace, say, the gas tank, that could be a problem (I just had this very issue with a 1996 van). So unless the vehicle is a collectors item, age in and of itself, regardless of miles, may be the determining factor for what it's worth to someone else.

Boy does this ever ring true, $14,000 is the quote I got from a good parts store to have a 7.3 NA engine installed in the 1989 F-250 we used to own, that price was the reason we bought a very good used Toyota Tundra for $9,000.

This thread came to mind a few minutes ago when I saw a new listing here.

2015 Silverado looks to be in great shape, almost 100,000 miles on it. Listed for $40,000.00.

A used vehicle is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
In order to put a value on it somebody has to want it.

RB auctions might be a good place to do some research, if you register you can look at the sold prices of similar equipment in various locations.
The ford with the 7.3 should be easy to market, but your remote location will make it a bit of a problem. pre stupid emissions diesel trucks are easier to sell than newer stuff, the cab and chassis with an aluminum deck should have a good market.

Latest posts

Back