What is Everybody Reading?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210423_195611 - Copy.jpg

That was a great book, and I do need to reread it. Took me months to get through it the first time, and the film didn't do it justice, but was fun to watch just the same. I remember that the film came to our theatres on tax day. Husband and I took the day off from work and saw it. Then I went to the gun shop and bought an AK. That was a fun day.
So this book is by the author Annie Berdel, and she wrote "Alpha Farm", book one of the prepper chicks series. I enjoyed that book alot and the one that came after. This one says, "Follow along as a feisty group of senior citizens does not wait for a savior to tell them what they should do next (after a big crisis). Taking control of their own destinies, they set out to rescue their grandchildren from impending demise while teaching them the old skool way of survival.
So, it's a fun prepper fiction book, not very long, 250 or so pages.

I tend to read two or three fiction books in between the non fiction that appeals. Just finished a truly outstanding fiction book "The Speed of Souls". What's not to like about a well written book about dogs and cats and other animals with well developed people characters--kind of an adventure story, bordering on thriller at times but also very sweet and satisfying all around. By Nick Pirog. My favorite so far of all I've read in the l;ast year.

What's it about?

I just finished Atlas Shrugged. Creepy in that it seems to be exactly where we are headed. $$$ everywhere but nothing to buy, brainless dictators ignoring facts and devoid of logic. The one thing that stuck with me that was probably "odd" was regarding the couple with the kids in the valley of the 20th cty motor co. - I wonder if they noticed any difference. My guess is not. And from that, if we can become non-dependent of corporations, we might fare better during times of hardship. The book was definitely geared towards business & government which of course it needed to be, but makes me wonder at the lives of the rural. Just thoughts.
Congratulations for making it to the end.

I would say the couple in the valley of motor company was foreshadowing. Lacking the structure of society and free commerce our support systems shrink to what is local.

Fresh produce from the other side of the world are replaced with canned and ling shelf life. Closets full of clothes for a different outfit every day will be reduced to one or 2 sets of clothes plus a Sunday best. Less laundry less ork to wash them.

I have to defer to @Amish Heart t comment on how close the Amish societies are a model to look at and to what extent their interactions with the common folk. Around these part "Amish built" is a seal of quality fo houses sheds furniture and baked goods. But even they I feel would feel an impact.

Ben

Congratulations for making it to the end.

I would say the couple in the valley of motor company was foreshadowing. Lacking the structure of society and free commerce our support systems shrink to what is local.

Fresh produce from the other side of the world are replaced with canned and ling shelf life. Closets full of clothes for a different outfit every day will be reduced to one or 2 sets of clothes plus a Sunday best. Less laundry less ork to wash them.

I have to defer to @Amish Heart t comment on how close the Amish societies are a model to look at and to what extent their interactions with the common folk. Around these part "Amish built" is a seal of quality fo houses sheds furniture and baked goods. But even they I feel would feel an impact.

Ben
Agreed! That kinda points to what I've been feeling. I've actually thought about the Amish lately. It wasn't that long ago when we only had a few sets of clothes and canned veggies etc. and wasn't considered lacking, prehistoric or savage. I've been working towards that. I try to depend as little as possible on stores and try to source things locally. (Yes coffee and olives are still on my shelves.) I used to have a lot more clothes. I am now to where my clothes fit in an antique armoire other than my winter coat(s) and a couple sweaters. I still have more than I wear regularly. Up the river, I had us down to skeletal electric use (mostly freezers and well pump). I guess I'm odd in that I can see a beauty in it rather than just ugliness. I know it's not for everybody though - I get that.

Agreed! That kinda points to what I've been feeling. I've actually thought about the Amish lately. It wasn't that long ago when we only had a few sets of clothes and canned veggies etc. and wasn't considered lacking, prehistoric or savage. I've been working towards that. I try to depend as little as possible on stores and try to source things locally. (Yes coffee and olives are still on my shelves.) I used to have a lot more clothes. I am now to where my clothes fit in an antique armoire other than my winter coat(s) and a couple sweaters. I still have more than I wear regularly. Up the river, I had us down to skeletal electric use (mostly freezers and well pump). I guess I'm odd in that I can see a beauty in it rather than just ugliness. I know it's not for everybody though - I get that.
I have said it before but I repeat.

If can thrive living as they did in 1880 or so we are good to go.

Ben

There are still the 100 yr old clothes hooks on the walls of a few of our bedroom walls here. Usually 5 or 6 hooks on the board in the room. I know one hook was for Sunday best, another medium clothes, and another for outside grubbies.
The amish do rely on the tourism in the bigger areas for sales. There is some of that where I live, but not entirely. Today was customer appreciation day in our local stores on Main St, and we had fun visiting and popping in for the raffles and freebies. Freebies were typical....cake, donuts, coffee, kettle corn, burgers, a bucket, pens, a pot holder, a coffee cup. Went to the hardware store, because we needed a little bag of 4 inch fence nails. They are sold by the piece and put in a paper bag. Had to move my Challenger at the Amish grocery so my cousin Harry could get the horse and buggy in and the horse tied off so he could get some groceries. Normal is different here, and we do have a local economy.

So I picked up a couple books at an estate sale Saturday. "Grandmother's Kitchen Wisdom" was a joke. If the used book store won't buy it, I'll just pitch it and not feel bad. Was written in 1989 so I figured it would have things from around depression era etc. Nope: how to defrost bacon in the microwave, which breakfast cereals have the most sugar, soda pop info. etc. Just garbage.
Another book was "Helpful Hints Almanac." That one is pretty good, I'll keep it. Has times for blanching different veggies, canning tips, bread baking tips, cooking for crowds, conversion charts etc. That's 2 of the 7 I got. Will keep you posted.
I am still reading "Christ of the Celts" which is okay good. It has tons of references in it which I get distracted by because I don't know them so go looking them up. One such distraction is Dame Julian of Norwich's "Revelations of Divine Love" from the late 1300's. So I started in on that. Am only in the introduction and already fascinating. Will be curious to the actual text/writing.

I am still reading "Christ of the Celts" which is okay good. It has tons of references in it which I get distracted by because I don't know them so go looking them up. One such distraction is Dame Julian of Norwich's "Revelations of Divine Love" from the late 1300's. So I started in on that. Am only in the introduction and already fascinating. Will be curious to the actual text/writing.
These do sound interesting.

I try to borrow books from the library when possible. Poldark series is on Amazon Prime and the waiting list is not short for the books at the library. I went to Tattered Cover this morning and purchased the first of the 12 books, Ross Poldark. It is actually subdivided into three books, probably when he was in the American Revolution, when he went back to Cornwall and started his father's mine up, and then probably his marriage.

I have been reading surveys that say the Poldark series is popular with men. It is based on real people, but fictionalized. It is more than 40 episodes with more than 40 hours of viewing, a Masterpiece Theater production.

Hubby has been reading a book about an area not far from here: We Remember by M Searsy. I might not have to read it as he's told me most of what he's read 😊 I'm glad he's enjoying it. There's another one similar Way Back When. I picked them up at an estate sale a couple weeks ago.

Currently listening to A. American's "Going Home" series. I'm on book 7 or 8.
Seems like I listen to the series every couple of years. I really enjoy audiobooks while I'm driving or doing housework. I have some other post apocalyptic works, but I keep coming back to the Going Home series.

I asked my uncle to recommend a book I should read to help me be successful in life. He recommended How to Win Friends & Influence People. His father made him read this book & it shaped my uncles life. He always applied what Dale Carnegie explains within his careers & has always been successful. He currently owns & operates a multi million dollar company selling his patented products which he started only 5 years ago. I have read the first 70 pages & I can't put it down. Being written in the 30's & still very relevant today is a testament within itself. He uses real life happenings he has witnessed to explain how to conduct business most effectively. I haven't read this much, other than the Bible, since grade school. That is if H&CL doesn't count.

1625455816616.png

Has anyone else read this? There are still classes being conducted nationwide based on this book.

I asked my uncle to recommend a book I should read to help me be successful in life. He recommended How to Win Friends & Influence People. His father made him read this book & it shaped my uncles life. He always applied what Dale Carnegie explains within his careers & has always been successful. He currently owns & operates a multi million dollar company selling his patented products which he started only 5 years ago. I have read the first 70 pages & I can't put it down. Being written in the 30's & still very relevant today is a testament within itself. He uses real life happenings he has witnessed to explain how to conduct business most effectively. I haven't read this much, other than the Bible, since grade school. That is if H&CL doesn't count.

View attachment 69005

Has anyone else read this? There are still classes being conducted nationwide based on this book.
Carnegie was an intelligent man. I've not read this. Might have to put it on my list.

I finished Christ of Celts. Some good points and many references I'm looking up. It was referred to me by someone who had read it multiple times. I did well to make it through it once, found his style of writing flat. Now reading Ways of Old: Traditional Life in Ireland. I've never read the Little House series (gasp) but recently ordered it so will dig into those after I make it through this one. For some reason, I think of those as winter reading.

Reading Metamorphoses by Ovid. I remember when they would actually make this a mandatory read in school. We read the kids version when I was around 12 or 13.

I always loved those mythology stories and since I've gotten back into reading more, I've upgraded to the grown-up version 😏

View attachment 69005

Yes. I have a much older copy of this book. I have considered starting a thread with this very title.

Just ordered Seed to Seed and The Quest of the Simple Life. I've read both of these, but want them on my shelf. I have been trying to work on getting the books I want/need. Next will be a few medicinal herb books and I'm hopeful for acquiring the Foxfire series at some point.

Latest posts

Back