What Is Jumping Around In our Night Skys?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have seen this many times ovr the years but now he aka huby sees it too.
I was sitting on porch in the dark and saw this object bouncing around in the sky. So I close one eye to make sure it isn't eyes playing tricks, it turn,s goes sideways, up and down,reminds me of a Bible verse but it sure isn't a plane or anythign we no of far as I know anyway.
Anyone else ever just sit and look at the night skys sometimes?

Last edited:
Yes, when I can stand to be outside and not get bitten up by skeeters or ants.
I love to look at the night sky. It is a family favorite too.
My husband had seen quite a few interesting things when he lived in Ohio and a couple of the sightings made the news because so many people saw these unidentified flying objects.
There are a few websites that have what seem to be reliable accounts of ufos.
Looking at planets, comets, meteor showers, eclipses, have been for a long time some of my favorite things to do.
This week is the meteor shower for Pleiades, expected to peak Aug. 11, 12, 13.

WAIT. My bad. Perseids Meteor Shower this week, not Pleiades

Last edited:
Yes, when I can stand to be outside and not get bitten up by skeeters or ants.
I love to look at the night sky. It is a family favorite too.
My husband had seen quite a few interesting things when he lived in Ohio and a couple of the sightings made the news because so many people saw these unidentified flying objects.
There are a few websites that have what seem to be reliable accounts of ufos.
Looking at planets, comets, meteor showers, eclipses, have been for a long time some of my favorite things to do.
This week is the meteor shower for Pleiades, expected to peak Aug. 11, 12, 13.

WAIT. My bad. Perseids Meteor Shower this week, not Pleiades

Really this week,Pleiades? Have to check it out. Could be Cheribims,huh?

They are welcome to land at my place anytime. I would love to have one of those fun vehicles - gotta be better than anything on the street!
Zero to light speed in 0.001 seconds... gotta get me one!

I love star gazing. Done it since I was a kid. Found most every comet since Halley's back in the mid 80's. Still haven't found the current one. That area of the sky i too light from where I live. Hadn't had time to go out in the mountains and look for it.
Saturn and one other planet (forget which one) is up in the southeastern sky in the evening right now. Just a few days ago the moon was right with them. Very cool sight.

I love star gazing. Done it since I was a kid. Found most every comet since Halley's back in the mid 80's. Still haven't found the current one. That area of the sky i too light from where I live. Hadn't had time to go out in the mountains and look for it.
Saturn and one other planet (forget which one) is up in the southeastern sky in the evening right now. Just a few days ago the moon was right with them. Very cool sight.
When I was a kid my donkey Katie would be laying down and I'd go out and lay my head on her neck and look at the stars.

@Bacpacker it is Saturn and Jupiter. They will be together in the night sky until the end of the year. That rarely happens. Last month five planets could be seen gracing the night skies together.
This website has some nice stuff on it.
Night sky, August 2020: What you can see this month [maps]

eta; If you didn't get a chance to see Comet Neowise, unless you travel further south, think southern hemisphere, you may have missed your chance.

There's an app for your phone. I "think" it's called SkyTracker or something like that. Once installed, and you open it, you can point your phone in any direction and it'll tell you what you're pointing at. Stars, planets, significant satellites (ie the Space Station). You can also point it downward towards your feet and it'll tell you what's on the other side of the planet.

There's an app for your phone. I "think" it's called SkyTracker or something like that. Once installed, and you open it, you can point your phone in any direction and it'll tell you what you're pointing at. Stars, planets, significant satellites (ie the Space Station). You can also point it downward towards your feet and it'll tell you what's on the other side of the planet.
That sounds pretty cool. Will check it out. Thanks, @zoomzoom

Star Walk 2 is the name of the app. It's free and does an excellent job of showing you what's up in the sky.

Neowise was much less pronounced when I saw it July 24 than it was on the 14th.

34470B7C-6958-4595-8D08-2A23DE17C3FA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back