What is "living"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could come up with a list of things or activities I suppose, but it kinda boils down to the difference of surviving vs living which is to enjoy the ride, wherever or however it takes you.

Some days that's easier than others

For me, it is understanding that life is a roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs. Trying to keep that ride smooth is the challenge of life. I try every day to prepare for the next day (if God is so inclined to give me one) so that the ride might be a bit easier to handle. Trying to focus on love, appreciation, forgiveness and Jesus also makes life shine and be more joyful.

No matter what challenges you face, keep in mind that there is always someone out there who has it worse than you. If life isn't what you want it to be, make the effort to change it!

Do not forsake what you believe.
Support those you love.
Do what is right, because it will cost you more not to.
Treat people the way you want to be treated.
My greatest joy outside of my unit, is gardening, some of my earliest memories, it give me the belief that I am strong, healthy & prepared for what ever come.

Living is being a part of what is happening around you. Doing what must be done AND what you enjoy doing.

Being useful - providing for my family, helping friends, and doing right by my community. Owning up and taking responsibility, not procrastinating, and doing what needs to be done at the moment. Most importantly, being able to laugh and love every day even after all these things are done.

Balancing all of the above and keeping enough challenge to keep you interested, but not to make it a seeming insurmountable task. and making time for the beauty and joy.

To me, living is, first & foremost, giving thanks to The Lord for the day & enjoying the blessings of each day, taking the time to see natures beauty & NOT just forcing yourself to get through each day gritting your teeth in sheer determination.

Last edited:
What is living?
Putting my full faith in the Lord, letting Him direct me. And thru prayer, keeping almost constant contact with Him.
How do i do this? By practicing the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and applying them to my daily life.

It's a great way to gain peace of mind, and stillness of heart. It has even eased some of my PTSD symptoms. (But that's a story for another time)

You know, it's said that everyone of us has a gift. I don't think that's accurate. I think everyone of us is given a love or a passion if you will. Those who know their love/passion and feed that fire have a gift. It doesn't really matter if one is good at it or not. If you love to sing but can't sing, sing loud and feel good - that's the gift. That's living - feeding that flame and not letting others squelch the light within.

What is living?
Putting my full faith in the Lord, letting Him direct me. And thru prayer, keeping almost constant contact with Him.
How do i do this? By practicing the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and applying them to my daily life.

It's a great way to gain peace of mind, and stillness of heart. It has even eased some of my PTSD symptoms. (But that's a story for another time)

Hi there, I think we know each other.....I have the same avatar, just a twist on the name

You know, it's said that everyone of us has a gift. I don't think that's accurate. I think everyone of us is given a love or a passion if you will. Those who know their love/passion and feed that fire have a gift. It doesn't really matter if one is good at it or not. If you love to sing but can't sing, sing loud and feel good - that's the gift. That's living - feeding that flame and not letting others squelch the light within.
WOW, you said an amazing thing!!

To me living is being free. Free to pursue whatever livelihood you wish. Free to worship or not worship however you wish. Free to go where you want when you want. Lots of other "frees" that could be included. I too believe in God, and try to live by those principles. One of my life mottos has always been "Work hard, play harder, and never intentionally hurt anyone."

Good post, Dademoss. Really makes you think.

Hi there, I think we know each other.....I have the same avatar, just a twist on the name
I recognized the avatar, wasn’t sure if it was you or not.
Yes, I am the same RPD. In fact, I’m RPD on probably 50 forums. I have only found one imposter, and he’s on a surplus rifle forum.

There is a place out in this country that allows one to be in Oregon and see into WA, ID, & NV on a clear day. I spent many days near a little ghost settlement (never was a town) called Swamp Creek. From there up to Big Prairie is a place forgotten by civilization. Can be many miles from the nearest human and closest to God I've ever felt.
1638818046241.png

Last edited:
This is a great discussion! I had a bit of a spiritual awakening about 3 months ago hooked up to an EKG machine in an ER, thinking my poor lifestyle choices had finally done my heart in. Realized I really wanted to live after all and started trying to figure this "life" thing out. Step #1 was trying to take care of myself by getting help for dealing with some of the demons from my past, and fixing the aforementioned poor lifestyle choices. I feel like a completely new person, even though I've only come a short way. I'm down 60 lbs. after cutting out pop, fast food and junk food, and the spiritual transformation feels just as significant. Do I know what "living" is yet? Heck no - but I'm trying to figure it out. The tools I think are helping me the most with it are:
  • Daily spiritual study - daily the Bible (my personal choice - you do you) & something else to enrich my soul - could be anything from Tao Te Ching to a self-help book on being a better husband
  • Keeping a daily gratitude journal - helps me keep things in perspective
  • Keeping a daily happiness journal - I'm trying to find activities & situations that being me happiness as I've been going through the motions for so long I don't even know what would make me happy anymore!
  • Keeping a general journal - writing stuff down can keep it from festering in your brain and heart - I do all my journaling "in the cloud" so I can do it from my phone or laptop - anytime, anywhere
  • Treating my body like a temple - only taking in things that will enrich it - that goes for food, media, etc. - Big part of why I'm here is because I'd like to have more control over the food component of that by producing it myself... Also taking care of myself in the areas of sleep, exercise, etc.
  • Trying to be less isolationist - finding ways to connect with like minded people. Attending community classes, lectures, activities, etc. Also another reason how I found myself here - thanks to everyone for being so welcoming!
  • Dealing with my "ego" & not letting him run the show. I'm coming to see our egos are like our stupid kid brother. He's loud and demanding and very, very stupid. You can let him drive the motorcycle while you sit in the sidecar watching him crash into stuff and make a mess, or you can kick his whiny butt into the sidecar and take control of your own dang life.
Didn't set out to write a novel, but there it is. I'm interested to see what anyone else says, as like I said - I no way have it all figured out at all by far!

This is a great discussion! I had a bit of a spiritual awakening about 3 months ago hooked up to an EKG machine in an ER, thinking my poor lifestyle choices had finally done my heart in. Realized I really wanted to live after all and started trying to figure this "life" thing out. Step #1 was trying to take care of myself by getting help for dealing with some of the demons from my past, and fixing the aforementioned poor lifestyle choices. I feel like a completely new person, even though I've only come a short way. I'm down 60 lbs. after cutting out pop, fast food and junk food, and the spiritual transformation feels just as significant. Do I know what "living" is yet? Heck no - but I'm trying to figure it out. The tools I think are helping me the most with it are:
  • Daily spiritual study - daily the Bible (my personal choice - you do you) & something else to enrich my soul - could be anything from Tao Te Ching to a self-help book on being a better husband
  • Keeping a daily gratitude journal - helps me keep things in perspective
  • Keeping a daily happiness journal - I'm trying to find activities & situations that being me happiness as I've been going through the motions for so long I don't even know what would make me happy anymore!
  • Keeping a general journal - writing stuff down can keep it from festering in your brain and heart - I do all my journaling "in the cloud" so I can do it from my phone or laptop - anytime, anywhere
  • Treating my body like a temple - only taking in things that will enrich it - that goes for food, media, etc. - Big part of why I'm here is because I'd like to have more control over the food component of that by producing it myself... Also taking care of myself in the areas of sleep, exercise, etc.
  • Trying to be less isolationist - finding ways to connect with like minded people. Attending community classes, lectures, activities, etc. Also another reason how I found myself here - thanks to everyone for being so welcoming!
  • Dealing with my "ego" & not letting him run the show. I'm coming to see our egos are like our stupid kid brother. He's loud and demanding and very, very stupid. You can let him drive the motorcycle while you sit in the sidecar watching him crash into stuff and make a mess, or you can kick his whiny butt into the sidecar and take control of your own dang life.
Didn't set out to write a novel, but there it is. I'm interested to see what anyone else says, as like I said - I no way have it all figured out at all by far!
How great for you!! I don't think we are supposed to figure it all out, at least not in one lifetime!!

Something probably some of you can relate to . When in Nam , I truly was surprised to see each sun rise as I didn't expect to survive the night . Each day was lived expecting it to be my last . Have you ever wondered about the stories about someone diving onto a hand grenade to save someone else's life . When you believe your remaining time on earth is just minutes or hours away , life is cheap , even your own . But at the same moment each breath of air is precious . --- I promised myself , if I ever did somehow survive to return to the world , that I would never take a day of life for granted ever again . -- Each morning with my coffee cup in hand I watch the sun come up . On that coffee cup it reads " you haven't lived until you have nearly died 173rd airborne ".

I believe that the Good Lord has a plan for all of us. We just need to sit back n enjoy the ride. Easier said than done with life's ups n downs. But there is a message in everything. And sometimes the message isn't always about you or for you. We are all part of a larger plan.
For me, I have plenty of aches n pains. But I enjoyed getting most of them. Some just came with the package I was born with. But since this package is sooooo spectacular I can't complain, hey this is my story.
I also try to live on my wins. Instead of thinking about what I can't do , try looking around my world at what I have done. And the pleasures that accompanied. But again I have my best friend forever by my side, we make a great team. And our kids near. And our grandkids near so better. Heck I was always working when our kids were growing up. Now our grandson lives with us n we watch our granddaughter 5 days a week. I have my family all around me. And I get to watch all the magic that happens while a child grows. And now get to share in all those aspects. I was the first one of us to change diapers. And holding a crying baby only makes me want to help more. I could walk up to up a mom on a plane with crying babies and want to help but society dictates that's not acceptable anymore, too bad.
I, we, somehow in life managed to end up with some medical insurance n enough cash to buy a cheap beer at the end of the month. The freezer is overflowing n the walk in pantry well stocked.
So pretty darn blessed. And I live in America n Alaska to boot. I can walk out my back door n be in the bush. Have moose in our yard.
Yeppers, I'm on my way to the surgeon again today because I'm told I will need further surgery to repair my neck n spine as best as they can be fixed. But there isn't much left to work with. And my spine will continue to deteriorate.
But I can look back n live on my wins. I was able to live a life that I could not have scripted better. I'm part of a bigger plan n proud to play my role. It's not all about me. And say Thank You to the Good Lord every day

Latest posts

Back