What is on my egg?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
7 Golden Buff hens. They lay 7 eggs a day. Yesterday one egg had several 1 mm spheres on the exterior. Vegetable brush couldn't remove the spheres but flicks of my thumb nail did. I'm thinking some type of insect laid eggs after the hen egg was laid?

What do y'all think?

egg.JPG

Looks like insect eggs to me. What kind, I have no idea. I agree with sewing, I'd clean out the nesting boxes. I would also dust them with some diatomaceous earth. What I find interesting is how quickly that happened, between egg laying and gathering. The fact that it is hard to get them off without some effort is interesting. Insect eggs are often found stuck to different things so they must have some gluey type substance when they are laid.

Occasionally the chicken's reproductive system will go into overdrive. The result is two eggs forming at once. Normally, only one egg forms every 24 hours; when an extra one develops, some of the calcium from one shell can get misplaced and end up attached to the second shell. This results in one egg being laid with little or no shell at all and the other one being plastered with extra calcium.
https://animals.mom.me/causes-calcium-deposits-chicken-eggs-8157.html

Not sure but maybe someone who knows will come on and tell you.:good luck::thumbs:

Latest posts

Back