What Is The Best supplemental Medicare Insurance?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Its time of year to make changes and I'm wondering if I should change mine.

Right now I have AARP United Health Care for past several years and had no problem except I'd goes go up a little every year. It started out as $176 now it is $210 or so.Plus I pay $31.95 for medicine RX.
We have awindow every year for change .
No deductable, no charge for doctor or hospital. Also no dental insurance.We have always paid as we go fro that or charge it if its high.

I was talking about this yesterday with my cousin who just retired from 30 years aat Publix about to turn 65 and asking me about supplemental and I didn't know enough about it to give her advice,she didn't want to pay out about #250 a month like we do.

My wife has had Humana Advantage for years. It's basically Medicare under Humana. All of them are just middlemen to Medicare.

They pay strictly by what Medicare pays. They have contracts with hospitals to pay below medicare, therefore that where they make a profit.

Here's the deal.
Her monthly premium is $46.

We pay a small doctor deductable.
Some out of pocket when we use it.

Or we could get a policy with no deductable even if we dont use it for about $250-$300 mo.

Pay me now or pay me later.

Wife had 6 surgeries in last 6 months.
Cost us about $1200 out of pocket. Plus our insurance premiums and Medicare premiums . About $190/mo total.

I'm happy seeing as how the hospital and doctors bills were over $100,000.

If you never use it , why pay big premiums.
If you unhealthy may be with a $150 mo policy.its a pay me now or pay me later proposition.
The insurance companies have it figured to the $1.

Jim

My wife has had Humana Advantage for years. It's basically Medicare under Humana. All of them are just middlemen to Medicare.

They pay strictly by what Medicare pays. They have contracts with hospitals to pay below medicare, therefore that where they make a profit.

Here's the deal.

Or we could get a policy with no deductable even if we dont use it for about $250-$300 mo.

Cost us about $1200 out of pocket. Plus our insurance premiums and Medicare premiums . About $190/mo total.

If you unhealthy may be with a $150 mo policy.its a pay me now or pay me later proposition.

Jim

Thanks Jim I'll sure check this one out.

Thanks again your on the ball and so helpful,your the tops. whoops another song.:thumbs:

Here's the deal.

Jim

That sounds better than ours. Just don't want any surprise medical bills, they can't throw us out but they can put a lien on property here for medical bills. So wanted to be sure not stuck with huge bills in case one of us had hospital stay.
Of course my cousin had insurence with Publix but now will have to get supplemental. she has pace maker and heart trouble for 36 years now. Plus stomach surgery last year.

I was talking about this yesterday with my cousin who just retired from 30 years aat Publix about to turn 65 and asking me about supplemental and I didn't know enough about it to give her advice,she didn't want to pay out about #250 a month like we do.
I will be in that boat by May.
They have muddied the water so bad: everything free! Even adds money back to your SS check!
I swear if I ever see Joe Namath, I'll bust his face chops!:waiting:

(I could go on, but my tablet would run out of black ink)
brickwall100.gif

My wife had supplemental insurance with a couple of different companies, they never paid so we dropped them and just pay the balance of what Medicare doesn't pay out of pocket and at least Medicare pays. The biggest thing that has helped us is being out of debt.

My wife had supplemental insurance with a couple of different companies, they never paid so we dropped them and just pay the balance of what Medicare doesn't pay out of pocket and at least Medicare pays. The biggest thing that has helped us is being out of debt.

It may change soon but so far we have never paid a dime for any medical ,now dental is not included. Of course our premiums are high.

It may change soon but so far we have never paid a dime for any medical ,now dental is not included. Of course our premiums are high.
For what we paid for supplemental insurance, we were able to pay the unpaid portion of medicare, for us, all we did is throw away money for the supplemental.

For what we paid for supplemental insurance, we were able to pay the unpaid portion of medicare, for us, all we did is throw away money for the supplemental.

Well we listened to hubbys mother who believes in insurance that will cover medical bills in case of emergency which all illness is an emergency since we don't plan on getting sick. She was concerned about meccial bills causing lossof their property and home.
At 65 she had kidney breat cancer, at 68 kidney cancer, then again at 74 hubby father had kidney failure and passsed a couple years later.She at 76 lost other breast to cancer.
She lived on to be 86 died from toxic liver medication poisoning.All these years of illness they never paid a bill for any of it.
The yhad AARP United Health Care and advised us to get the same so we did. Now all the new laws not sure if it is still the best.
But I told my cousin to get AARP UHC and my best friend has it too.

I stopped supporting AARP more than 10 years ago. I found out they spend a lot of money to disarm Americans. I've saved a ton of money since not having to pay them.

I stopped supporting AARP more than 10 years ago. I found out they spend a lot of money to disarm Americans. I've saved a ton of money since not having to pay them.

So SheepD who do you suggest that is better?

Last edited:
Well "The Seniors Coalition" is one and a quick search turned up these others:

American Seniors Association (ASA)
ASA is a popular alternative to AARP. The group was founded in 2005. It was initially the “National Association for Senior Concerns.” ASA offers discounts on drug prescriptions and travels. The group exists on five foundations, namely:
  • rebuilding values of “respect and appreciation” for seniors;
  • reforming Social Security (via a private-account solution);
  • reforming Medicare (to include more choice);
  • overhauling the “mountain of a mess” income-tax code; and
  • controlling “wasteful and silly” government overspending.
ASA claims to be “the fastest-growing seniors’ advocacy in the nation.” It doesn’t report its official figures on its website, though. The group benefited massively from the 2010 mass exodus from AARP.

Christ Above Politics (CAP)
CAP started in 1994 as the Christian Association of Primetimers. It earmarks itself as “The Christian, non-political alternative to AARP.” CAP discounts individuals and businesses on products or services, including healthcare, insurance, and travel.

“We do prefer to support Christian owned businesses and ministries and promote Christian events and entertainment” and are “careful to avoid any business that openly demonstrates any hostility toward Christians or Christianity.”

Conservatives relate to CAP better. It agrees with John Locke’s assertion that a sole source inspires both Church and State.

Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC)
AMAC was established in 2007. It offers a robust benefit catalog than you can get at other senior conservative groups. It hence attracts older political persons taken by the discounts at AARP. In 2014, AMAC merged with a similar group, “Generation America.” The group gained hundreds of thousands of members in subsequent months. Note that AMAC already had 1.1 million members before this coalition.

60 Plus Association
60 Plus describes itself as a “nonpartisan seniors advocacy group with a free enterprise, less government, and fewer taxes and views towards issues important to seniors.” The group began in 1992 and now boasts over 7 million followers. As it stands, 60 Plus does not provide discounts on any product or service. It instead centers on political advocacy and lobbying. 60 Plus aims at “ending the federal estate tax and saving Social Security for the young.”

National Association of Conservative Seniors (NAOCS)
NAOCS is famous for its two bouquet options: “silver” and “Golden Patriot.” Subscribers to the Golden Patriot package have access to the cell contacts of elected public officials with the “click to call” feature. Also, they enjoy a vacation voucher. NAOCS was founded in 2012.

NAOCS has no unique link to conservatism. Notwithstanding, it is an excellent alternative to AARP.

Take your pick, at least you will be supporting like minded folks instead of the liberal left. :)

Well "The Seniors Coalition" is one and a quick search turned up these others:

American Seniors Association (ASA)
ASA is a popular alternative to AARP. The group was founded in 2005. It was initially the “National Association for Senior Concerns.” ASA offers discounts on drug prescriptions and travels. The group exists on five foundations, namely:
  • rebuilding values of “respect and appreciation” for seniors;
  • reforming Social Security (via a private-account solution);
  • reforming Medicare (to include more choice);
  • overhauling the “mountain of a mess” income-tax code; and
  • controlling “wasteful and silly” government overspending.
ASA claims to be “the fastest-growing seniors’ advocacy in the nation.” It doesn’t report its official figures on its website, though. The group benefited massively from the 2010 mass exodus from AARP.

Christ Above Politics (CAP)
CAP started in 1994 as the Christian Association of Primetimers. It earmarks itself as “The Christian, non-political alternative to AARP.” CAP discounts individuals and businesses on products or services, including healthcare, insurance, and travel.

“We do prefer to support Christian owned businesses and ministries and promote Christian events and entertainment” and are “careful to avoid any business that openly demonstrates any hostility toward Christians or Christianity.”

Conservatives relate to CAP better. It agrees with John Locke’s assertion that a sole source inspires both Church and State.

AMAC was established in 2007. It offers a robust benefit catalog than you can get at other senior conservative groups. It hence attracts older political persons taken by the discounts at AARP. In 2014, AMAC merged with a similar group, “Generation America.” The group gained hundreds of thousands of members in subsequent months. Note that AMAC already had 1.1 million members before this coalition.

60 Plus Association
60 Plus describes itself as a “nonpartisan seniors advocacy group with a free enterprise, less government, and fewer taxes and views towards issues important to seniors.” The group began in 1992 and now boasts over 7 million followers. As it stands, 60 Plus does not provide discounts on any product or service. It instead centers on political advocacy and lobbying. 60 Plus aims at “ending the federal estate tax and saving Social Security for the young.”

National Association of Conservative Seniors (NAOCS)
NAOCS is famous for its two bouquet options: “silver” and “Golden Patriot.” Subscribers to the Golden Patriot package have access to the cell contacts of elected public officials with the “click to call” feature. Also, they enjoy a vacation voucher. NAOCS was founded in 2012.

NAOCS has no unique link to conservatism. Notwithstanding, it is an excellent alternative to AARP.

Take your pick, at least you will be supporting like minded folks instead of the liberal left. :)

Thanks SheepD these all look promising and will check them out.:great:

You are welcome.

I turned 60 on 12/10/2020, so I know nothing.

IMHO, insurance is a safety valve in case the unexpected happens. I read some people recommend if you are in good health, buy a cheap insurance policy. I wouldn't bet that a person's health is always going to be good. Even if your health is good, what if the unexpected accident happens?

Recommending a person buy cheap health insurance because you are in good health, is like recommending you don't need auto insurance because you're a good driver.

With that said, I have no recommendation on what a good policy is because I still get family coverage from my employer. My best friend, however, highly recommends BC/BS Gold, It is a Medigap policy. He was in great health, then got bladder cancer. This was a few years ago. He has never seen a medical bill.

:I agree:

I agree with you. Indeed, recommending a person buy cheap health insurance because you are in good health is like recommending you don't need auto insurance because you're a good driver. Unfortunately, health is a dangerous thing, and no one is insured against accidents. When I searched for insurance for my family, I chose a more expensive but advantageous option that includes maximum opportunities. In addition, I began to use iinsight.biz, which greatly simplified the management and organization of all the paperwork related to the health system and not only,

Back