What is the craziest place you found your (dog/cat/chicken/horse/goat/child)?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
I had a barnyard cat that would lay on a broody chicken's eggs the second she hopped off the nest to eat and do chicken stuff. I think maybe the cat liked the warmth of the eggs on chilly spring mornings? The cat knew exactly when to get off the eggs to allow mama back into her coop... Even stranger, was seeing how the chicken would stay gone longer than usual, whenever she knew the cat was babysitting the eggs.

The same cat used to nap--hammock style--in a fish net that was kept hung on a nail in the barn...which is how he earned his name, Catfish.

None of my animals were normal. I had free-ranging turkeys also. One of the big toms used to beat my no-hunting hound dog off her feed and grew so big and fat that we changed his name from Mr. Gobbles to Wobbles. Same turkey used to court red-haired visitors so enthusiastically that he scared the mess out of them, gobbling and going through the courtship dance. Because he was so big, it looked quite intimidating to the uninitiated. The more they tried to run away from him, the faster he ran to catch up with them.

We had a white baby Nubian goat that followed my daughter everywhere she went... One morning my daughter boarded the school bus and the goat followed her onto the bus to the amusement of the entire busload of children. My young daughter was mortified when the children started jeering her, "Mary had a little lamb..." She was so embarrassed that she didn't have the heart to tell them that Daisy was NOT a lamb, but a baby goat.

That was well over 30 years ago, and she remembers all of our strange animals. Ha ha! Who could forget?

Last edited:
We were scared to death looking for our middle child, who was three at the time. He crawled up on the top bunk of his brother's bed and fell asleep.
Our cats like to lay on whatever we are paying attention to. The laptop keyboard...papers we are working on...Also they like to jump up on our kitchen's middle counter. It has a small sink built into it. They wait till I turn the water on drip and they lap it up. They are old men cats, so they get to do whatever they want. We find our three dogs playing "lookout tower" on top of an old wood playground set. They look over the 6 ft wall to see what our son's animals are doing.
That's funny that your turkey liked redheads.

My horse on the ground relaxing in the sun with the goat on his back doing circles. The horse trying to bite the goat who would then jump down until the horse moved his head then back up he'd jump to do circles again.

Funny @Amish Heart; our middle child was the same way from 2-4. We would find her bed empty all the time and had to go hunt for her. Sometimes she would be sleeping on the dog bed, behind the sofa, in the bathtub, with a sibling, on a loveseat, on the floor of our bedroom, in the closet, under her bed, etc., etc., etc. She would have no memory of getting out of her bed but she almost always had a Rottie sleeping near her. Eventually we put a baby gate up in her doorway to keep her contained to the bedroom she shared with her next younger sister.

Same but not too often, 2-4 yr old son was missing and we found him curled up asleep on top of a box under a table/desk. He couldn't hear us calling for him since he was asleep. We had looked in closets, garage, basement, vehicles, had sent brothers to scout neighbors' yards, and were close to calling the police.

One day at work a guy asked me if I had a cat. I told him yes.
He said my truck was mewing.
Found a feral kitten under the hood.
I tried to get to but couldn't reach him.
After work I drove home and the kitten jumped out and walked away.
One of the dogs got out of the yard.
I looked for him for hours.
Just before dark I drove around one more time.
I found him over a mile away. That was a long distance for a short legged wiener dog.
He was really happy to see me and he ran and jumped into my arms.
The farmer had just sprayed his field with liquid manure.
We both had to have a bath.

Old joke
Why Parents Get Gray
The boss of a big company needed to call one of his employees about
an urgent problem with one of the main computers, dialed the employee's home phone number and was greeted with a child's whisper,
"Hello."
"Is your daddy home?" he asked.
"Yes," whispered the small voice.
"May I talk with him?"
The child whispered, "No."
Surprised, and wanting to talk with an adult, the boss asked, "Is
your mommy there?"
"Yes."
"May I talk with her?"
Again the small voice whispered, "No."
Hoping there was somebody with whom he could leave a message, the
boss asked, "Is anybody else there?
"Yes," whispered the child, "a policeman."
Wondering what a cop would be doing at his employee's home, the boss
asked,
"May I speak with the policeman?"
"No, he's busy", whispered the child.
"Busy doing what?"
"Talking to Daddy and Mommy and the Fireman", came the whispered answer
Growing concerned and even worried as he heard what sounded like a
helicopter through the earpiece on the phone the boss asked, "What is that
noise?" "A hello-copper" answered the whispering voice.
"What is going on there?" asked the boss, now alarmed.
In an awed whispering voice the child answered, "The search team
just landed the hello-copper."
Alarmed, concerned, and even more then just a little frustrated the
boss asked, "What are they searching for?"
Still whispering, the young voice replied along with a muffled giggle:

"ME."-

Last edited:
I helped a guy with his poodle one night. There is an old road across the highway from my house. Right before it reaches the highway it forks. One exit I can see, the other is about 300 yards to the east. Since I was a kid people have been dumping dogs and cats at that fork, it’s hidden behind pines. They will enter on one fork, and exit the other.

Late one afternoon I was sitting on the porch and heard a vehicle pull in the east fork and stop with the engine running at the Y. After a few moments it drove out the exit I can see.

I recognized the truck. It was an old restored Ford I’d seen a couple of weeks earlier at a house while plant hunting. This house was about 20 miles from mine.

A few minutes after the truck drove towards the east a little poodle walked out of the old road. I recognized the dog too. Obviously the guy dumped his dog out. I called the dog and when he came to me I chained him up.

About 11pm that night I took that dog back home. I’d have given anything to see that guys face the next morning when he saw his dog in his yard…

:LOL::LOL:

Don't know if this is true or not but it is a good story.

Neighbor #1 went out to call his dog in for the night. Dog came running with a dead rabbit in it's mouth! Neighbor #1 was horrified because Neighbor #2 raised expensive show rabbits. Dog had gotten into one of the rabbit cages and killed a rabbit! #1 gently took the rabbit carcass from the dog's mouth bushed the rabbit's fur to make it look as natural as possible. After dark he sneak into #2's yard, found a empty rabbit cage and gently placed the dead rabbit inside.

A few days later the two neighbors bumped into each other. After the normal neighborly chit chat #2 said, "Something strange happen the other day."

"OK here it comes !" Thought #1.

"One of my prized rabbits died the other day. I buried in my garden. Here's the strange part. The next morning I found the dead rabbit back in it's cage..."

Way back when we got out first Rottweiler and she was perhaps 18-20 months old. I was grilling dinner and had made 5 boneless pork chops. Wife calls as I am cooking and says "We just got invited out for dinner by my boss". So the chops went on a plate covered in foil, plate was set on top of the stove and eventually we left. Came home and that dog was sitting in my wife's spot at the dining room table. Literally sitting on her chair with a half eaten pork chop in front of her on the table looking very guilty. I was impressed she held out as long as she did. But the funniest part however was that somehow she got 1 of the 5 chops, did not disturb the other 4 and yet the plate was still covered in aluminum foil. o_O

My daughter, a friend of hers and I were collecting bricks from a building that was torn down fairly close to us, and they had advertised that you could have some of the bricks to clear the lot where they eventually built a new building. We were moving them from the trunk into the yard when our dog ran out and into the street, where it got hit by a car. Dog immediately ran around somewhere behind the house. We looked and looked for the dog, calling and calling, looking under bushes and in yards. We could not find her and we looked until about 3 days later when the dog showed up in front of the house. She was limping and we took her to the vet. Nothing broken that they could tell.

We didn't have AC in the basement, the dehumidifier didn't really do the trick either. Sometimes I would open up the basement windows to get fresh air in, then I'd forget to close them. You know the kind, they tilt in and don't seem very stable or sturdy. There were window wells outside of these windows which meant it was something you could step down into, if you're not too big of a person.
More than once we found living, uninjured baby bunnies in the basement, apparently they had fallen in through the open window, though how they had to squiggle up the glass to get in is a mystery to me.

That reminds me when I couldn't figure out why my cousin had a window well full of frogs. All piled up and making noise. We had supper there, and were walking around seeing what all the grandkids were doing. They were finding them, throwing them in one well, and had plans to cook them the next day. It was a sight.

This one really is true. You cannot imagine stuff like this.

Dad built a 20' high roofed hay shed. The sides were alternating 2 x 4s. Think spaces between them. The cows would lick the hay out between the spaces until they couldn't reach any higher. One day we came home from school and started our chores. I couldn't find the old holstein milk cow. Hearing some bellowing going on the other side of the hay shed, I went to take a look. I found the cow about 10' up the side of the hay shed just hanging there by three legs suck in the spaces. I had to get my horse, ride a mile to the neighbours and get them to come over. It took a tractor loader, the removal of some 2 x4s, what seemed like half the country and about 3 hours to get her down.

I helped a guy with his poodle one night. There is an old road across the highway from my house. Right before it reaches the highway it forks. One exit I can see, the other is about 300 yards to the east. Since I was a kid people have been dumping dogs and cats at that fork, it’s hidden behind pines. They will enter on one fork, and exit the other.

Late one afternoon I was sitting on the porch and heard a vehicle pull in the east fork and stop with the engine running at the Y. After a few moments it drove out the exit I can see.

I recognized the truck. It was an old restored Ford I’d seen a couple of weeks earlier at a house while plant hunting. This house was about 20 miles from mine.

A few minutes after the truck drove towards the east a little poodle walked out of the old road. I recognized the dog too. Obviously the guy dumped his dog out. I called the dog and when he came to me I chained him up.

About 11pm that night I took that dog back home. I’d have given anything to see that guys face the next morning when he saw his dog in his yard…

:LOL::LOL:

Haha! That's a good one!

One Thanksgiving (when I was little) the family cat went missing for several hours. We finally found her - in the refrigerator. With the Thanksgiving turkey!

Now that's funny! :D

Haha! That's a good one!

He picked the wrong place to dump his dog out. He had a 1969 F-100 long bed. I used to own one! The day I saw his pickup I drove by it 3 times, the last 2 times, very slowly, it was a beautiful restoration. I remembered seeing that little white poodle in his yard too!

I just know when he opened his door the next morning, his yard was the last place he expected to see that dog! :D:D

Another funny part… The next summer I drove by that house again. The little dog was still there in the yard. Maybe he was so impressed the little dog found his way home the guy decided to keep him…

:LOL:

Got her head stuck and couldn't get it out without a little human intervention. :)

Camera 028.jpg

My first Black lab got lost when we were visiting a friends place. She took off with his lab, to go do lab stuff and only his came back. It is a very rural place, dirt road out in the sticks. We figured they just got separated after running and mine just got lost.

So, we head out up and down the road, stopping at each house and calling as we go. It was late afternoon when she was missing and it finally got dark. We called it a night and hit it again first thing in the am.

We spread the search out, about 5 miles at this point. I stopped in at one house and met someone I had gone to Grammar school with! I asked if he had seen a black lab, orange collar and he said yup. He opened his house door and she came a runnin’ out!

Turns out she had found his pickup truck and went in through the sliding back window. I drove a pickup and this was her usual way in and out, to the flatbed. He came out that morning and went to his truck. He was met with a snarling, barking, obviously angry dog. The dog would not let him near the truck. He thought about shooting it, because he had never seen it before, and it was in his truck! But, it had a collar and was a good looking lab so he thought he’d try to lure it out. He finally got the door open and called her, she went running out and was just as friendly as could be. She was REALLY happy to see anyone at that point I bet.

It was her job to guard MY truck. I was a carpenter and always had tools and all in the front and back. She could hop in and out the back window if anyone got too close to the bed, she could protect the contents. NO ONE ever got close to her truck. Even if it wasn’t MY truck, if she was in it, NO ONE was getting near it! Once out, she was the nicest lab you could meet.

Latest posts

Back