What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was just chatting with a couple people in my office when one told a very embarrassing story, I of course told one of mine in order to help them feel better. We are after all just human beings and sometimes things happen we wish didn't.

I was working night shift when I see a car run a stop sign, it's slow so I decide to pull it over. I walked up the driver's door, illuminated the driver's hands with my flashlight (faces don't kill you but hands do), identified myself and just because of repetition said "Sir, is there any reason why you failed to stop at that stop sign?". The driver, a woman, burst out crying. Perhaps crying is not adequate; loud sobbing. I somehow heard her say through the tears "you think I am ugly too, you think I look like a man". She is now in full melt down as I am trying to calm her down. I apologize and tell her that I was mistaken and did not even see her face when I said that. I also said that now that I can see her face she is obviously a woman a very pretty woman at that. After what felt like a very long time, I have her step out of her car to come back to mine. She explains that her boyfriend just broke up with her over the phone. During the break up her told her that he decided she was not attractive or feminine enough for him. She was not the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, but she was not unattractive either. Just the same to keep her from losing it again I reassured her that she was very pretty and that her ex-boyfriend was clearly not bright. She reached over and gave me a hug, something that I would not normally have ever allowed but under the circumstances submitted to briefly. I gave her a warning and sent her on her way.

Two days later I go out to dinner with another officer, my shift Sergeant and his wife. The wife asks me if I am dating anyone and I reply that I am not. The Sarge jumps in a jokingly says "He's still out sewing his wild oats". Just then the waitress comes over. SAME young lady from the crying incident. She looks at me, recognizes me, gives me this long overly affectionate hug and says "Thanks for the other night. That was the first time I got pulled over where it ended with being told I am pretty plus a nice big hug." My Sarge was looking at me like I was about to become a parking enforcement officer. I had a lot of explaining to do.

A Navy buddy crashed his motorcycle and was in traction at Balboa Naval Hospital for months.
I went to see him one evening with some papers from the duty office for him to sign.
I got there after visiting hours so I had to stop at the nurses station.
There were about 10 young Navy nurses sitting there with their feet propped up and their skirts riding up their legs, one asked me what I wanted.
I said I have some legs for Higgins.
Didn't even register that I said legs instead of papers.
They all started laughing and I slunk away about as red as a guy could get.

I'll go back to my High School days for this one. I'm a loner/introvert. Pretty young lady sat across from me in study-hall. Before I knew it I asked her if she wanted to go with me to that night's school football game. She said yes. My first date.

After school I beat it home, washed my 1965 Corvair and detailed it. Showered, best clothes and too much of Dad's aftershave. Forgot to call work (Stock-boy at a drug store) to tell them I wouldn't be in. Remember I needed money for the tickets, exchange all the coins I could find to mom for paper money. Parked down the road from the young Ladies house because I was a 1/2 hour early. Knocked at her door precisely on time. She told me she HAD to introduce me to her parents. That scared the heepie jeepies put of me, I don't do well around strangers. I'm embarrassed, sweating and quickly forget her parents names. We finally got out of the house and I went to open the car door for her, door was locked. Now I'm doubly embarrassed. Reach in my pocket for the cars keys and they weren't there, hanging from the ignition.

Drove to the game in silence. At the gate I went to pay for her ticket, she said she had a season ticket. We sat in the stands with me in a daze and not talking. Half time she said she was going to go and sit with her parents. I after the game I waited around to take her home, I couldn't find her and the crowd had thinned out, I guessed she had her parents take her home?

Monday I could hardly wait for study hall so I could ask what had gone wrong? Study hall she wasn't at her seat, she had asked the Teacher to be reassigned a different seat!?

Last edited:
When the lovely Mrs. Sentry18 and I were dating (like our 2nd date) I took her to the country club. I hate golf and could never afford to eat there, but I had a couple guest passes and they had these large manicured park like areas in and around the golf course. So I decided I would rent a cart and take her out for a romantic picnic. The weather was perfect, just enough breeze to keep the bugs away. We drove around the beautiful landscaped wooded areas until we found the perfect spot and had a very nice picnic and chat. We then went for a leisurely drive around and started heading back to the club house. She started talking about it being our 2nd date and that she might be amenable to some make out time. I did not expect her to say that and needless to say it resulted in an immediate loss of mental focus. That is when I slammed the golf cart into the curb that kept golf carts off of the main roadways and ejected my would-be kissing partner and the leftovers of our picnic into the grass. Only the steering wheel save me from being thrown out. I jumped out of the cart and ran around to her. She was on her butt laughing (thankfully). I helped her up and she said "We better just start off with a hug, I wouldn't want either of us to get hurt." And right then and there I got my first hug from her, followed almost immediately by our first kiss. She walked back to the car from there and I returned the golf cart alone. Neither of us have been in a golf cart since.

I was big enough and Wild enough that I was able to buy beer at 16 years old and my friends enjoyed this fact often. I am not nor will I ever be a drug user so my time in college was educating in more ways than not. So one night I was drinking in College with friends when we went to another room. On the wall was a large mural of marching bears, funny characters and in big letter was "PPM". Now being a budding scientist since high school I knew PPM meant Parts Per Million a measurement of the fraction of a concentration which is the particle of interest. For the life of me I couldn't understand how it embodied the nature of this odd psychedelic painting. So I asked the owner of the room, why do you have Parts Per Million on the wall?
The room had maybe six other partiers all drunk who easily heard me and started laughing out loud. "Dude" says the guy, "It's not parts per million, it's peace pot and microdot!" My friend from the Bronx stopped me before I could ask what that was. Brian later explained as he laughed at my Ohio country boy naïvety. I decided I'd stick with alcohol.

I was big enough and Wild enough that I was able to buy beer at 16 years old and my friends enjoyed this fact often. I am not nor will I ever be a drug user so my time in college was educating in more ways than not. So one night I was drinking in College with friends when we went to another room. On the wall was a large mural of marching bears, funny characters and in big letter was "PPM". Now being a budding scientist since high school I knew PPM meant Parts Per Million a measurement of the fraction of a concentration which is the particle of interest. For the life of me I couldn't understand how it embodied the nature of this odd psychedelic painting. So I asked the owner of the room, why do you have Parts Per Million on the wall?
The room had maybe six other partiers all drunk who easily heard me and started laughing out loud. "Dude" says the guy, "It's not parts per million, it's peace pot and microdot!" My friend from the Bronx stopped me before I could ask what that was. Brian later explained as he laughed at my Ohio country boy naïvety. I decided I'd stick with alcohol.
Au contraire, monsieur BuildIt. You were the wisest of them all to not partake.

Au contraire, monsieur BuildIt. You were the wisest of them all to not partake.
Well, I never did illegal drugs but I also gave up alcohol and cigarettes. Cigarettes have been the hardest and I've quite 4 times. Still on #4 and going strong but I will battle my addiction to smoking for the rest of my life. :-(
Maybe I should have made starting smoking again 3 times after quitting for several months my most embarrassing (stupid) thing I've done?

Last edited:
I was at a party in college being held at the beach of a local lake. It was night time so it was very dark, but there were torches, towels and coolers all over. So this young lady and I are chatting it up and she says that she is going to go further down the beach (for privacy) and I should grab a towel and meet her there. She walked away and I went over to the towels, but was interrupted by a buddy of mine who wanted to chat. Eventually broke free and started down the beach. I arrive, lay down a towel, sit down next to her and say "Well, it's nice and private here". Next thing you know we are making out internationally (Roman hands and Russian fingers). This young lady was pretty assertive too. In the midst of this fun my buddy walks up, kicks my leg and says "What the ****". Turns out this young lady is his sister. And she's in high school. And she's up visiting him for the weekend. He was not happy.

I have narrow feet and have a hard time finding shoes that fit well. When I do find shoes that fit well, and if they are on sale, I will buy one in every color. A couple times in my teaching career I have arrived at work with two shoes of different colors. I guess pulling them out of a dark closet without turning on the light was a mistake. One time, no one noticed and it was in the afternoon, after lunch and recess, when I sat down to read to my students that I realized my mistake.

I was on the rescue squad. We were gathered around a rescue vehicle to look at something. You know how you can swing your arms backwards in the process of putting them behind your back? I did that... and my captain (who was old enough to be my grandfather) was standing behind me... and I hit him in the crotch or close enough to it for it to be horribly embarrassing. I was trying to sincerely apologize and I am pretty sure others on the squad were laughing at me already.

He did give me a good reference when I applied to a different rescue squad, so I guess he forgave me and realized it was completely accidental.

Farted... very loud in a Karate class while doing demonstrations of serious forms.
sembarrassed_100-115.gif

Oh...and 2 of my daughters were students in the class...
Try living that one down
sembarrassed_100-102.gif

Jim

Farted... very loud in a Karate class while doing demonstrations of serious forms.
sembarrassed_100-115.gif

Try living that one down
sembarrassed_100-102.gif

Jim
Grandmaster always said that was the toxins leaving and as long as there were no lumps it was okay. LOL

sembarrassed_100-115.gif

Try living that one down
sembarrassed_100-102.gif

Jim
I had a student with developmental delays. One day, he bent over and let one rip. Another student yelled, "Duck and cover." We all laughed so hard. Some times, it is impossible to control it!

I will start with what I am sure was the most embarrassing moment for a trainee at the police department. We just made 6-7 arrests for assaults with a deadly weapon. Most cops understand that we need to put our weapons in a locker outside the jail while we are booking prisoners, since guns in a jail are a major no-no.

During booking, we were all ordered to clear the jail for a fatal traffic accident. I was the lead investigator for the collision, so I grab my gun and get out to the scene. Well, a rookie cleared the jail to help me, but he forgot his duty weapon inside the locker. He was standing in the center of the intersection for nearly 3 hours, with every car slowing to tell him that his gun was missing.

This poor kid radioed for me to go get his gun and return it to him, but he needed to be taught a lesson. I bet he never forgot his gun at the jail, ever again!

sembarrassed_100-115.gif

Try living that one down
sembarrassed_100-102.gif

Jim

Does that make you the Gas Passing Master? OR the Grand Gas Passing Master? Just asking.

While sitting on the back pew with a group of my peers, my mother came down the middle of the church auditorium with her skirt tucked into her underwear for all the church members to see her backside. As I sat froze with fright, an elderly lady reached out from her seat for mother's skirt and gave it a yank, which I was so glad to see. Not missing a beat my mother continued her walk toward her seat in the front, and gracefully sat down with her Bible in hand. It wasn't until she sat, that I finally was able to take a breath. Thinking back, I thought for sure that my childhood peers would at some point give a giggle, but I think we were all in shock to see such a sight, and we were probably all too red-faced to say a word.

I was working in building hardware and cut an 8' x 4' piece of ply for a lady and then offered to take it out to the car for her. The hardware store was on a main highway and near the ocean so there was quite often nice breezes there. As I walked out the door with the ply tucked under my arm a huge gust of wind took hold of the plywood under my arm and lifted me a good 4' off the ground and I started floating down and above the footpath down the street :eek: . I looked around quickly and thought if I let go of this ply then it will hit one of the cars parked on the side of the road. Thinking quickly and still scanning for my escape I noticed the well built man who owned the pawn shop next door out on the footpath having a cigarette so I yelled at him quickly grab my legs which fortunately he did and pulled me to the ground. Him, myself and the lady customer were all in fits of laughter with tears coming down our cheeks. The guy in the next door shop kindly offered to put the ply in the woman's car.

I will start with what I am sure was the most embarrassing moment for a trainee at the police department. We just made 6-7 arrests for assaults with a deadly weapon. Most cops understand that we need to put our weapons in a locker outside the jail while we are booking prisoners, since guns in a jail are a major no-no.

During booking, we were all ordered to clear the jail for a fatal traffic accident. I was the lead investigator for the collision, so I grab my gun and get out to the scene. Well, a rookie cleared the jail to help me, but he forgot his duty weapon inside the locker. He was standing in the center of the intersection for nearly 3 hours, with every car slowing to tell him that his gun was missing.

This poor kid radioed for me to go get his gun and return it to him, but he needed to be taught a lesson. I bet he never forgot his gun at the jail, ever again!

When I was an FTO I had a rookie who always seemed to "know better". We had Safariland buckle-less belts that velcroed the inner belt to the outer belt. I told him it was not enough and to put on some belt keepers too. But he knew better. On his first day driving he pulled a car over full of young ladies. The second he bent just a little to look in the driver's window; POP the entire duty belt fell to the ground. Only his microphone cord was still attached and stretched out to the max. He just waived the car on and then picked up his gear. When he got back to the car I said something to him like 'It was just a matter of time until your ignorance caught up to you.' After that we called him Velcro for a few months to help the lesson sink in.

As a matter of my personality, was raised fairly sheltered, until I married my jokester and pre-nursing days, I was pretty naive in just about everything.
I used to get embarrassed about anything esp if I thought it was personal and to hide it, I just got very mad and cry. My hubs used it to bus advantage a few times.
We hadn't been married very long when I got a phone call from "the phone company " ( one of his work friends and him). The voice on the line said "hello, I'm "Ron" from the phone company. I understand we just set your new phone up and I need to test the sound quality. He said "I need you to say something. He said ok, good now would tap, tap and "ok" that's good, now I need you to whistle and let me check that. I was very compliant until I heard the snickers in the background. I hung up on him and my hubby was in the doghouse for sometime while I recovered. He still laughs about it after 43 years! That was only one of many incidents that I finally learned to just "let it slide and get revenge":angie:

As a matter of my personality, was raised fairly sheltered, until I married my jokester and pre-nursing days, I was pretty naive in just about everything.
I used to get embarrassed about anything esp if I thought it was personal and to hide it, I just got very mad and cry. My hubs used it to bus advantage a few times.
We hadn't been married very long when I got a phone call from "the phone company " ( one of his work friends and him). The voice on the line said "hello, I'm "Ron" from the phone company. I understand we just set your new phone up and I need to test the sound quality. He said "I need you to say something. He said ok, good now would tap, tap and "ok" that's good, now I need you to whistle and let me check that. I was very compliant until I heard the snickers in the background. I hung up on him and my hubby was in the doghouse for sometime while I recovered. He still laughs about it after 43 years! That was only one of many incidents that I finally learned to just "let it slide and get revenge":angie:

Sometimes, jokes are only fun for the jokester. I have seen what was perceived to be fun and funny by the jokester, to be very embarrassing and sad for the receiver. If a couple of people do a back and forth and both are having fun, it is okay. When one person is always on the receiving end, at the jokester's folly, then no, and they need to move on. Hell to pay? You'd better believe it. People need to show respect, especially to a spouse, or find a new spouse.

I don't seek revenge for anything and have no memory of ever seeking revenge. I just go away and stay away. Or I will tell the person off and they know I am pissed off to the max. I am quiet and kind until I get pushed over the edge, and then it isn't pretty.

Last edited:
Does that make you the Gas Passing Master? OR the Grand Gas Passing Master? Just asking.

According to my girls , to this day, they claim that it was deserving of a trophy...

While sitting on the back pew with a group of my peers, my mother came down the middle of the church auditorium with her skirt tucked into her underwear for all the church members to see her backside. As I sat froze with fright, an elderly lady reached out from her seat for mother's skirt and gave it a yank, which I was so glad to see. Not missing a beat my mother continued her walk toward her seat in the front, and gracefully sat down with her Bible in hand. It wasn't until she sat, that I finally was able to take a breath. Thinking back, I thought for sure that my childhood peers would at some point give a giggle, but I think we were all in shock to see such a sight, and we were probably all too red-faced to say a word.

Gotta tell this one,

Elderly lady , standing in front of me , in church, had a serious wedgie,
I gently, politely reached down, without thinking , pulled it free,

She turned and slapped me ,

I , being the gentleman I am,

Offered to put it back...:dunno::thumbs up::woo hoo:

Jim

Sometimes, jokes are only fun for the jokester. I have seen what was perceived to be fun and funny by the jokester, to be very embarrassing and sad for the receiver. If a couple of people do a back and forth and both are having fun, it is okay. When one person is always on the receiving end, at the jokester's folly, then no, and they need to move on. Hell to pay? You'd better believe it. People need to show respect, especially to a spouse, or find a new spouse.

I don't seek revenge for anything and have no memory of every seeking revenge. I just go away and stay away. Or I will tell the person off and they know I am pissed off to the max. I am quiet and kind until I get pushed over the edge, and then it isn't pretty.

Yeah, I'm pretty much like that, too. But, I've learned over the years like I said to let it slide. He did only what he grew up doing and I reacted the way I saw modeled for me. We've learned each other's personalities and how to be not only compatible, but actually have fun with each other. Believe me, I can dish it out with the best now! Life with my man has been a fun ride and will continue to be as long as we're dirt side up!

It's all about the spirit of the practical joke. If it is all in good fun and perhaps a touch embarrassing, then it's a practical joke. If it is meant to belittle, hurt or shame someone, then it's not a practical joke. It's just being an ***.

Embarrassing moment, quite a few of those, went into labor at home with my oldest son. First born, plenty of time, so we stop for some magazines on the way to the hospital. My ex drops me at the front door so he can park the car. One step out of the car and woosh, my water breaks! I look down to a huge puddle on the sidewalk! Geesh! An older lady grabs my hand says "c'mon honey we need to get you inside!" I waddle in soaking wet, leaving a trail of wet footprints!

While working property crimes as a detective, I went out and arrested a Middle Eastern guy for embezzlement. I was booking him in our jail and over the public address system, I was told there was an incoming phone call for me. While still in the jail, and on camera in front of everyone in our detective bureau, was a guy saying he was the uncle of the guy I arrested. He also had a very thick Middle Eastern accent. He went on to explain he was a Sheik, worth billions of dollars, and wanted to pay me off to release his nephew. Little did I know the guy I was talking to was one of my fellow detectives, playing a hoax on me, and present was the entire management team including our Lieutenants, Captains and Chief of Police.

Yeah, they got me good.

It's all about the spirit of the practical joke. If it is all in good fun and perhaps a touch embarrassing, then it's a practical joke. If it is meant to belittle, hurt or shame someone, then it's not a practical joke. It's just being an ***.

Thank you! My hubs is not in the least mean spirited. He completely knows how and when to apologize if he feels it's needed. I on the other hand have to just make myself let go , because by nature , I hold grudges which is in no way beneficial for anything.
On the lighter side, we have just learned to enjoy each other for all of our differences and just have fun. We have a healthy relationship, healthy kids and grand. Our brands esp love a good joke esp if it gets a reaction from their gramps!

Back