What is this tree?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacotom

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does anyone know what kind of tree this is?

Attachments

• 11174.jpeg
    11174.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 11176.jpeg
    11176.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 30
Castor what? The castor bean plant is not a tree. What are you referring too?

This member is trying to find out about a tree.

It is a tree and can get up to 40 feet tall,although they do call it a small tree or large shrub. Ours was huge and it shot beans out .

I can tell yall that tree is not a Magnolia though.

Castor Bean, <em>Ricinus communis</em>

and it sure isn't a castor bean srub or tree either,its been 14 yr since we had one and I got it mixed up with another tree.

It looks like a dogwood. Was it nearly covered in flowers? A pic of the trunk would help too.

@Meerkat from the link you provided.... can grow to... over a few years in frost-free climates. it is easily grown as a warm season annual in temperate climates, The plant is killed when the temperature drops below 32F.

Any further north than Montgomery al and the caster is an annual, not a tree... grown just like a flower in your garden or a stalk of corn. It dies with the first frost.

Yes, first thing I noticed was the location... South Dakota

I just noticed the tree is in S.D. so it has to like really cold weather.
They grow up into Canada in the east. Probably a transplant from somewhere.

Looking at the flower placement again, I think it is a fruit tree of some kind. North American Plum or Cherry I would say

@Meerkat from the link you provided.... can grow to... over a few years in frost-free climates. it is easily grown as a warm season annual in temperate climates, The plant is killed when the temperature drops below 32F.

Any further north than Montgomery al and the caster is an annual, not a tree... grown just like a flower in your garden or a stalk of corn. It dies with the first frost.

Yes, first thing I noticed was the location... South Dakota

It gtre over our septic field and it as there for a few years before we cut it down but maybe the ground was warmed from being over the tank or we had soem mild weatherMy friend i nJacksonville Fl gave me the seed ir is a beautiful shrub that turns into a huge bushy tree.We were told they are poisonous to animals plus it kept shooting beans so we cut it down. It is a sub or tropical tree.

They grow up into Canada in the east. Probably a transplant from somewhere.

Looking at the flower placement again, I think it is a fruit tree of some kind. North American Plum or Cherry I would say

That sounds about right to me too.

By the way folks, I have eaten a north American plum. Let me tell you, for being as small as they are, they are the best tasting plums that I have ever eaten. They are also the only plum native to north America. They are about the size of a golf ball but they pack a punch. If I were to plant an orchard these would be in it.

@Cnsper is the leaf shape correct for a dogwood? This is fun. Context! Where is it growing? How big is it?
The other one with the really big leaves reminds me a fig tree. Don't know why, because I clearly don't know what a magnolia flower looks like. 🤪

@Cnsper is the leaf shape correct for a dogwood? This is fun. Context! Where is it growing? How big is it?
The other one with the really big leaves reminds me a fig tree. Don't know why, because I clearly don't know what a magnolia flower looks like. 🤪
The pics you are looking at in the second post are from @Peanut not @Tacotom

It's ok, I wasn't clear on my delivery. I don't know anything about Tacotom. is he in this thread too?

Hi tom, Sorry. I was hasty in posting. bowing out now

1590546052638.png

From missouribotanicalgarden.org website, in association with S. Dakota tree list, prunus maackii. Looks a little bit like it.
Sorry, edited to add, it is a chokecherry

Thanks for all the help everyone
I believe you have a plum tree. Only time will tell now. Here are a few photos to compare. It may not be a north American plum but it does look like a plum tree. Does the bark have kinda rings around the tree?

images.jpeg

chick_plum__large.jpg

prunus-americana-002.jpg

Latest posts

Back